Author Topic: Letitia Brown and family from Moneydig, Londonderry  (Read 6874 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Letitia Brown and family from Moneydig, Londonderry
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 July 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
I am interested in the Browns of the Garvagh/ Moneydig area. My great great great grandfather was Robert Brown of Bovagh. It would be nice to be able to link this Robert Brown into a possibly related family of Browns of Trinaltinagh, who are in the 1796 Garvagh congregation visitation list. The parents were Samuel and I assume Elizabeth, the sixth son was John, who became the respected and longserving minister of Aghagowey. Another son was William who was a lieutenant in the militia. This link with the military may be significant, given your possible military link, which wouldn't have been that common in farming families. I've been given a few details of descendants of the Trinaltinagh Browns; one of them was I believe a naval doctor, so again a military slant

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 15 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I am also a Descendant (4th gr granddaughter) of Robert Brown/Jane Henery of Bovagh, through their daughter Martha Brown who married Thomas Hogg and immigrated to the US in 1848. Any information you would be willing to share would be appreciated greatly. They were married 14 Sept 1832 per The Belfast Newsletter  Publication Date: 2 Oct 1832   -Cheryl

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 15 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello to Aghadowey and Jerseyties, glad to meet more distant relatives! Thanks Aghadowey for typing all of that out; sorry I didn't see the original query or I could have done some of the reply. I will check what I have on the family; probably not much more than Aghadowey but I have forgotten what I have, it's been several years since I looked at them

Where did they go to? I know of a an earlier Hogg from Caheny who married another of my relatives and went to South Carolina

Offline Jerseyties

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 October 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Hogg and Martha (Brown) Hogg and family arrived 5 July 1848 aboard the ship "Speed"
and settled in New York City, New York. The family name is at some point changed to the spelling Hoag.

Offline lotteex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Sorry I now know there is no connection to the Brown's. I have found out that my Letitia Brown is actually Letitia Kent.  She had originally married a William Brown who died shortly after their marriage. I didn't find this out until I eventually found she was married a third time and I was able to send for the marriage certificate which recorded a William Kent as her father who I think was in Ireland at that time and why Letitia's place of birth was recorded as Ireland
Lottee
Mason - Yorkshire
Manger -Tynemouth/Hull
Turner - Cottingham
Franklin - Cottingham
Lawrence - London
Bailey - Northumberland
Butler - Hampshire/Channel Isles
Harms - Hampshire/London/India/Northumberland
Timson - Ware, Hertfordshire
Wild & Nield - Lancashire
Row(e) - Buckinghamshire
Manders - Buckinghamshire
Wilkins - Herts
Lamberts - Herts
Crowe -Northern Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 19:50 BST (UK) »
Correction to previous details I posted-

Samuel Brown of Moneydig married Letitia Canning (c1783-1879 Walpelo, Iowa) and had at least 10 children- John (1805), Martha (1807), Alexander (1809), Elizabeth (1812), Robert (1814), Hugh (c1818), Letitia (1820), Robert (1822), Samuel (1822), Thomas (1825).

Letitia didn't die in Iowa (as relatived did tell me) but in Movanagher (where her daughter was teacher for the Female School for over 30 years).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!