Author Topic: Amos' of Hallrule, Jedburgh.  (Read 3691 times)

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amos' of Hallrule, Jedburgh.
« on: Wednesday 22 July 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the family of my ancestor John Amos.
I know from his age at death that he was born around 1727 but I do not know where. I have found a John Amos born 1727 son of Andrew Amos, Taylor of Hallrule, Jedburgh.
I find this quite interesting as John Amos was also a Taylor, a trade which passed down for many generations.
John lived in the Elsdon and Hexham area's of Northumberland which are located about an hour from the Scottish border.
Does anyone have this Andrew or John in their ancestory or any information on Amos' of Halrule and the Roxburghshire area of Scotland?
Or even if anyone thinks they have John Amos born 1727 in another area, I would be interested in details.
I have been looking for John for many years and would very much appreciate any help with this.
Thanks Erin

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amos' of Roxburghshire.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
AMOSS, John [note spelling ]   

18 Jul 1727      Hobkirk, Roxburgh, Scotland
   Father:   Andrew AMOSS

also
Thomas

Agness

Janet

Andrew
no mother listed

audrey

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Amos' of Hallrule, Jedburgh.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this Audrey.
I am still not sure on this but have not managed to find any other births for John Amos around this time.
If only we could go back and ask!
Erin

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 09 08:08 BST (UK) »
Quite a lot of info on the info on the Amos family can be found at the link below
on the pdf files at:
http://turnbullclan.com/publications/rulewater_and_its_people_index.htm

My notes have:

"Further information on the Amos family taking them back to the 1600's can be found in the book " Rulewater and its people:  An account of the Valley of the Rule and its inhabitants" by George Tancred of Weens.  Pages 312 to 318 are devoted to the family and its origins.  ((George Tancred's Rulewater and its People was first published in 1907 and reprinted in 1992 by the Borders Regional Library.  This gives "the history of many parishes in Rulewater, Roxburghshire, and adjoining lands and families.")

I have the Amos family in my wifes sides - I don't know if they tie in with yours.

Regards,   Steve

Offline erin31

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve.
Thank you so much for this information.  This book is fantastic.
Unfortunately it does not have mention of my five times great grandfather John Amos born 1727.
Although I have found a possible birth, mentioned above, to Andrew Amos I have to keep looking until I have proof.
John called his first son William and his second son John. He also had daughters Mary, Elizabeth (John's wife was Elizabeth also) and Ann but I have not managed to locate his wifes ancestors either so do not know which side of the family these names came from. Of course they could come from both.
I will continue my search.
Thanks once again.
Erin