Author Topic: Beatrice McBarnett  (Read 1765 times)

Offline lettie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beatrice McBarnett
« on: Wednesday 22 July 09 23:44 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know of Beatrice McBarnett wife of Francis Davidson who was transported to Van Diemen’s Land for willful fire raising on the ‘Emma Eugenia’ in 1841. Beatrice apparently took the blame when her husband’s wine and spirits store was burnt down. He was ‘financially embarrassed’. Beatrice left behind 3 small children, Elspeth, Robert and Mary Helen. She was tried in Edinburgh on 27th of July 1841, found guilty and sentenced to Life.
In Tasmania, Beatrice married William Trenwith and gave birth to 3 more children. She died in 1859 aged 52. Again she left behind young children. Thanks Lettie
Rush, Pretty, Prout, Lanxon, Best,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beatrice McBarnett
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 09 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is are two sets of banns on Scotlands People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Beatrice McBarnet and FrancisDavidson:

17 June 1830, Cromdale and Inverallan, Moray  and, same date, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh.

Banns are usually read in the parishes where the bride and groom are resident. In this case one was of Moray and one was of Edinburgh.

You would be able to view and download  the original entries  by going to the site. It would cost the equivalent of 2 x £1.20.  They might give more information - for example which was the home parish of which.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
hi all

a beatrice davidson is listed as a prisoner/dressmaker at gaol & bridewell
greenside edinburgh midlothian in 1841
her age is given as 30 and she was born outside census county
the national archives of scotland has the trial papers jc26/1841/476
"wilful fire-raising at abercrombie place edinburgh
 victim - james greig , abercrombie place edinburgh"

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi ev  :)

That looks interesting. I wonder if the James Greig was the owner of the premises and husband Francis Davidson was the tenant.

It would appear that she might have been the Moray resident. Couldn't find a baptism up there though - checked *Barnet*  :-\

Gadget

PS - I didn't try *B*rn*t*
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:53 BST (UK) »
Pigotts 1837 directory has a Greig & Morton, Writers to the signet at 8 Abercromby Place, and James Greig, Writer at 9 Abercromby Place.

Poor James Greig was also the victim of theft from there in 1850 according to the NAS records. Nice and expensive addresses make you a target apparently!

The only Francis Davidsons listed in Edinburgh that I could find were a grocer at 79 Queen Street, and a confectioner at 47 North Frederick Street.

Kirsty

Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline lettie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much. Looks like a good excuse to plan a trip to Scotland! In Australia, Beatrice's son Billy became one of our union leaders and then one of our first federal senators. He was quite influential in the planning of federation. Thanks so much for your help. Lettie

Offline sylvester8153

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Beatrice is my direct ancestor who as you stated was married to William Trenwith also a convict. She was allegedly married to a Joseph Hickling,convict and they had a child who was named James. There is some doubt to William Arthur Trenwith to being William's son. There was another son whose name I cannot remember at the moment. William Arthur took his young brother to Hobart Town before moving to Melbourne. The elder William,the convict, moved to Melbourne also and was buried in a pauper's grave,his politician son did not attend. I believe Beatrice died in Tasmania and was also in the female factory from where they were assigned their work assignments. Hope this information is helpful to you-Brenda.

Offline lettie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brenda,
She was an interesting woman.
Lettie