Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #2: Chris Moyles  (Read 17651 times)

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #2: Chris Moyles
« on: Thursday 23 July 09 11:53 BST (UK) »
Well I thought it was good and surprisingly the man seems to have an emotional side beyond the ego.

Do you agree?  ;D

David

Offline GeoffP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Irish Grandmother Julia Sexton(Moxham)
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 7 - Chris Moyles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 09 12:43 BST (UK) »

Well this episode did not create much reaction but I agree with Williamscdr that it was interesting and different. I can't stand the man but the historical side was presented in a way which reflected much of the history Irish/English. Perhaps I am biased with an Irish Grandmother and a British ( army) grandfather whom I never knew.

Geoff
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Peirce/Pierce/Pearce: Hungerford,Berks/Burbage Wilts.              
   Moxham: Monkton Farleigh, Wilts
   Sexton:Cork,Ireland, New York

Offline NEILKE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
as geoff said the history side was good and  i enjoyed all of it . it would not have mattered if is was billy no mates tree that was covered it was one of the better ones.
neil
kenny from ireland befre moveing to north shields  flaxen/flexon from cumnor then sunderland robinson from rothbury then north shields urqhart somewhere in scotland then sunderland

Offline thornhill121

• RootsChat Extra
  • G.G.Grandfather John Beck 1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:16 BST (UK) »
I have to say this one was one of my all time favourites, no outstanding family members, just decent hardworking folk. Such a sad story but no over-the-top crying,.
I think that Chris Moyles came across as a different person to who he is on radio, I was pleased to hear him comment that the journey wouldn't end with the program and he had other things he now wants to find out. I often wonder if any of the featured "celebs" have ever taken the info the BBC provides and carried on with their research.
Thornhill Beeston Notts, Belton Notts, Searle Lincs/Notts, Cooper Notts, Creet Notts
Beck Dumfriesshire

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
Has anyone tried the new GRO service yet?  You just ring them up for a certificate of someone born in "England" and they fax the certificate to you the following day.  So much easier than the present system.  :D

Presumably this one-
Births Jun 1908 
NELSON    Hannah Christina         Farnham    2a   142
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 July 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
 ;D Definitely Geoff-E - wish my certificates would come that quickly!

Like many others I am not a fan of Chris Moyles - his rudeness about other people without taking a look at himself first annoys me - but agree that it was an interesting episode and good to see that Chris was 'human' after all.

However, (having read the thread about Michael Parkinson) I think Chris's family history could have been 'boring'. It was only that they investigated the specific circumstances of the individuals and obviously this led to some harrowing stories which made it 'interesting' - so why can't they do that for Michael's family? I think I remember it said he had miners in his family - well surely that would be interesting to find out more about - the life of a miner could not have been an easy one...
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 July 09 16:16 BST (UK) »
I found this a very interesting and moving programme.  I've watched many of them, and this was the one that had me in tears at the end.

I think it was fairly evident from the programme how they do it.....

get a few details from the person in question
do all the research
set up the programme with various mysteries and unanswered questions for the participant
have all the experts on hand
then just film it all, with the reactions shown just as they happen, in a relatively short period of time.

The bit that got me was that wonderful WW1 expert with Chris, telling him that he was "literally walking in his great grandfather's footsteps" on that road just outside Ypres.  And Chris Moyles thinking about what the circumstances must have been, in Autumn 1914, for his relative, with just the comment "what I do is play records and talk a lot"

Whilst I don't play records and talk a lot, I do have the most lucky life compared with my brave ancestors who went before.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 July 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
I've recorded the programme, OH wanted to watch Midsomer Murders!  Looking forward to watching it, it sounds very interesting.

Lizzie

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 July 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
I think this episode was one that the vast majority of people could relate to - the poverty, illnesses and participation in WW1 are things that are repeated in many people's trees.  I also thought that Chris Moyles came across as being a far nicer chap in real life than he is on radio.