Author Topic: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?  (Read 22602 times)

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have a service number for anybody listed at the address in 1918/1919 electoral registers?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 25 July 09 00:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have a service number for anybody listed at the address in 1918/1919 electoral registers?

Casalguidi :)

Hi again! :)

Yes, from the absent voters list I have Albert Ward "26451, Pte, A. Co, 6bn, M.G.C"

Which i'm guessing means he was a private in the machine gun corp in A company, 6th battalion and his service number was 26451. His medal card is on ancestry but not sure what else .....

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 July 09 00:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ebor,
Alberts army records should confirm is birth year - your original object
below
Maybe?
maybe not!

Births Mar 1849 BROWNRIGG Elizabeth Tadcaster 23 657
Ulleskelf,
 Marriages Dec 1869 BROWNRIDGE Elizabeth York 9d 75

X

WARD Charles York     

Births Dec 1847 WARD Charles York 23 609

Daddy___ Marriages Dec 1846   Ward  Charles     York  23 765
                                   X
Mummy                         Wilson  Mary
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 July 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
I have a similar problem.  Grandfather according to baptism records and following census's was born 1875.  Marriage cert in 1906 gives age of 26, so birth c1880.  1911 census and war service records also point to 1879/80.  I'm trying to sort out correct death without resorting to buy multiple certs.  I've found 4 possibles allowing for different ages.  Depends what age was given when registering death. 
JUst hope that somehow can find correct one - £7.00 I don't mind, but multiples - no-way!
Su

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 July 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

The only way without buying multi Certs is to check all alternatives first and eliminate. As on this thread and search similar posts also Rootchart library & resouces first.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/

If you can get to a Library of the said place ( location in censuses) Pick out the candidates first ie gro plus/ minus 5 years of birth year your think on locations near your parish. Then check IGI Family search & Hugh Wallis! then find the parish of the Census or the marriage and enter your ancestors full name but also in Hugh Wallis enter the surname only aswwell! from this note the batch number. What your looking for is a family of siblings from the same Dad & mum of the said marriage. A descending years of siblings that will compare with the kids in the census.  If there are two births the same year? look for other pointers as Nonconfomist and Anglican Bapts that may seperate them. Then the fathers occupation in certs -parish- census and also Mothers  occupation in the census  from Marriage gro certs/parish registers. (parish Marriages and Births are near the same as the Gov GRO and early ones where copies of the parish. Thus as these copies cost nothing to look!* at or Pennies 50p to buy a copy of or a couple pound to send for (Tops) some libraries send the copies  free if only a couple wanted.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,376065.0.html

Post and ask before buying! as theres alway someone who will help or know also advise.

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 July 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
It was quite common to misquote ages on marriage. My grandparents married in 1894, his age on the certificate 55, hers 36, a gap of 19 years. However, research has shown that he was born in 1828, she in 1859 making their real ages 66 and 35, a gap of 31 years! It is also not uncommon for age gaps to be progresively bridged over 2 or even 3 censuses, by aging the older partner 5 years and the younger partner 10 years or more, a gap even the size of my grandparents' could be largely bridged in 20 years.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 26 July 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
We've probably all got weird and wonderful marriage certificates, including me:

10 April 1861 - St Peter Leeds - Charles Archbell, 23, Carter, living at Georges Street, Leeds, father George Archbell, Baker.  And Ann Powell, 21, of Vicar Lane, Leeds, father Charles Powell, Farmer.  Both signed the register. WRONG

1861 Census, taken just 3 days earlier:

Charles Archbell, 27, Ag Lab, living at Hillside, Tadcaster with parents, father George Archbell, Carter.

Ann Powell, 26, living with father and siblings at Wighill Lane, Tadcaster, father Thomas Powell, Ag Lab.

And to crown it all, Ann produced a child on 10 April 1861 in Tadcaster, and was unable to sign her name when registering the birth.   ;D

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 26 July 09 14:49 BST (UK) »
An interesting point has been raised about WW1 deaths in France. Where were they registered, and does the record still exist bearing in mind what happened to the WW1 service histories in the blitz?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 26 July 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
Could it be then that he did not have his parents' permission, but she did?

Over 40 years ago I lied on my marriage certificate. I couldn't find my father for his consent, and I was under 21 (so need parental permission to marry) so I said he was dead - no doubt to the confusion of future genealogists! So you can't take even relatively modern BMD certificates as being gospel truth!