Author Topic: Quarry maternity home,  (Read 70938 times)

Offline mojo9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry maternity home,
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 03 November 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I was at The Quarry, Wragby Rd, Lincoln Oct 1964
It opened ww2 1941 for unmarried mothers closed 1970's
Then became a home for people with mental health issues
Closed January 2010
We a group five  ex Quarry mums try to meet up & visit at Lincoln Christmas Market & call in at the Quarry but since it's closure we have not been able to
It was a home for unmarried girls only
These girls some as young as 13 were made look after their babies for six weeks then give them up for adoption, this was heartbreaking for all that had to witness this as well as the mother.
If you were adopted do not think the worst of your birth mother giving you up this was a selfless act on her behalf, there were no options in those days as there is now, be happy to know in the six weeks of caring for you she bonded & loved you
It was like a work house scrubbing all the floors in that big house, having to get up & make all the coal fires,waiting on the staff they had bone china cups & saucers we had plain, laundry duties no auto washers then, the list is endless

Offline mojo9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 03 November 11 09:07 GMT (UK) »
If you contact social services at Lincoln they have the files on the Quarry girls
or they did have 3yrs ago

Offline mad-dog-lady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 03 November 11 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Mojo9 the information provided. I am trying to build an accurate picture of the events surrounding my adoption.
As an adopted child I feel like a book with the first few chapters missing ( to borrow someone else's rather pertinent description).
I have made contact with my birth family but the information provided by my birth mother is, at best, confused.
Then three months ago I became aware that as an adopted child, I was legally entitled to have my adoption files opened, including access to the records held by the Quarry.
This week my adoption file was sent to my Approved Intermediary so shortly it's secrets will be revealed.
I do not have an issue with being placed for adoption or her motives for doing it but it is important to me to get to the real truth - whatever that looks like.
I would be interested to hear from mothers like you as to how the adoption felt/affected you at the time and how it feels/affects you, if it all, 40+ years on. It is easy to forget there are two sides to every story.
Anway, thanks again for the post. If you wish to reply, privately or otherwise, I would be genuinely interested in what you have to say.

Offline jeccyg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 27 April 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
For the last 2 years now this house has been part of Lincoln Misnter School - it's part of their boarding community and is an absolutely stunning place for the children to live!  Full of laughter and kids running around it really is a happy place!  I'm sure if anyone really wanted to the school would let you look round.  I almost had my wedding reception in the grounds as I work at the school and really think it is a happy and most beautiful house now.

x

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 27 April 12 22:13 BST (UK) »
Since this thread has surfaced again, I just thought I'd mention that one of the subjects on last night's Long Lost Family was a man born at the Quarry http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=315684
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline Tarny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 28 April 12 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

could anyone fill me in on the above place,

I believe it was in Scunthorpe.

Eilleen.

I was born in The Quarry in 1955, it is inj Lincoln.

Offline Tarny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 28 April 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
Yes I saw that programme, I was born at the Quarry on 3rd September 1955, but until now have never seen photographs of it.
I was adopted but not from there, apparently my grandmother changed her mind and would not let my mother have me adopted, I was adopted 9 years later

Offline mojo9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 03 May 12 06:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am Maureen I was at the Quarry 1964.
We are having a reunion  if you are interested, you are more than welcome to come along,there are about 5 of us.
We have had these reunions before it started with 2 of us 6years ago, the numbers are now growing, we come from different parts of the U.K mothers & adoptees.
My Tel: * if you would like a chat, *
Maureen
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dimegold1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 00:09 BST (UK) »
The Quarry is a large stone house of three floors and attic rooms above, set in its own grounds between Wragby Road and Sewell Road, built for Robert Swan in 1872. The property was sold by the Giles family to the Diocesan Board of Finance in 1943.

My wife was born Rosemary * in Quarry Maternity Home Lincolnshire in *, she was adopted at six weeks old, Isabella * is her mother, and Rosi has been trying to find her since she was 21.
The only member of the family who was in contact with Isabella, was her Uncle Jimmy who died in 2003; he forwarded a letter to Isabella written by Rosi in 1998, and Isabella refused to acknowledge her daughter, and Uncle Jimmy cut Rosi off even changing his telephone number.

Isabella married Jack * in * in 1962, he passed over in 1986, they had one child *.

Any information would be Great, however small.

*Moderator Note: details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.