Author Topic: Quarry maternity home,  (Read 71080 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry maternity home,
« Reply #99 on: Monday 10 August 15 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi emma, welcome to RootsChat :)

We are on slightly tricky ground here as (for all we know), your mother and grandmother may still be alive.  :-\

Do you have your mother's birth certificate?  That would say where she was born.  There was only one PERROTT born in Lincs in the 1940 and that birth was registered in Lincoln in early 1945.

There was a marriage later in 1945 - in Christchurch district (which includes Ringwood) - of a Winifred M PERROTT.  Perhaps that is relevant.

:)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 10 August 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
Emma these places were not the kind that you would wish to stay. There was no sympathy for the mothers and they were worked very hard and looked down upon.I apologise if that upsets you.             Sue

Offline emmacraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 17:58 BST (UK) »
my mum is still alive ( age 70)  and know s i am doing this, her birth mother died in the 1990 s , we never met her but did meet her husband in 1996 who explained some of what had happened ( he wasnt my mums birth father) we are just trying to piece things together and i guess see if there are any relations. I know she had no other children (as had miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy, they then went on to try and adopt but they were refused as she had given a child up for adoption) but was told she had a sister and a brother,  My mum and I are just very curious about the daily life and if she was born there or at a hospital etc. how the adoption was arranged, The birth you mention is my mum, i will look at the marriage record, as know her husbands name, and see if that s her. i guess i can trace form there xx

Offline emmacraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
how would i try and find her birth certificate?

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 19:05 BST (UK) »
Does your mother have her adoption records ?

Offline emmacraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
no, she saw a social worker about 18 years ago who told her some details of her birth mother and marriage to hedley button (this was relevant as winifred perrott married him prior to signing the final papers for the adoption). According to hedley, who we later traced,  her own mother kicked her out when she was pregnant even tho hedley said he would marry her when he got back from germany if her mother would let her live with her til then, her mother refused. when they went to court to sign final papers she tried to get my mum back, as was now married  but was told that the final papers were a formality and she no longer had any rights to my mum.  the social worker didnt leave any info, how would we go about getting this now?

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:01 BST (UK) »
Your Mum must apply for her records as she is the only person entitled to see them. You cannot do this for her as it is privileged information.                                 The GRO at Southport holds the original birth certificates of adopted persons if you need that .                                                     For the adoption record contact;                 Adopted children's Services                         Orchard House                                              Orchard St       

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday 11 August 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Lincoln LN1  1BA       01522  554056 .          lincolnshire.gov.uk should contain email information.                                                  Your questions about daily life , may be answered by lincs to the past or lincs archives as suggested by inspirational sax.                                                                         Sue

Offline Vicky Thorpe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry maternity home- photo
« Reply #107 on: Monday 31 August 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
The 'Home' is still there but is now owned/leased by Lincoln University and is used as student accommodation. They have no information on its previous usage. Lincoln Archives in St Rumbold Street may have some info though.
I visited the place a few months ago and took photos in B&W and colour and am happy to email to anyone interested. :)

Inspirational-Sax ...  this is a brilliant photograph of the house.  I am writing a small article on Robert Swan (who had this house built) and his family.  I wondered if I could use this photograph?