Author Topic: To NZ from TAS - When?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
To NZ from TAS - When?
« on: Saturday 25 July 09 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

After having had so much help in finding the grave of William Thomas Smith known in NZ as Thomas Dillon Smith, I wonder if I can ask for a bit more help.

We would like to establish when William actually went to NZ, and whether he took the two girls with him at that time, daughters No. 3 and 4, Mary Ann and Margaret Letitia.

The youngest daughter (No. 5) was born in July 1852 and William and Eliza's only son died in August 1852.  Eliza had a child to Henry Smith (confusing!!) in 1854.  Eliza married Henry in 1860, so I suppose we can make an assumption that she had not seen William for seven years.

The first time William as Thomas Dillon shows up (NZ PapersPast)is when he brings a shipment of furniture from Wellington to Napier to be auctioned in 1859.  The only time I can find him in Wellington is in 1860 when he is taken off the electoral roll because he has left the house at Lambton Quay.  Earlier editions of the Wellington papers were not available on the website.

By 1860 he had moved to Napier and was on the electoral roll there, and in 1863 was advertising as a Cabinet maker and undertaker.

I have his death notice and the marriage notices for the girls, but wonder how is the best way to find when he might have arrived.  I have been told that there was a newspaper advertisement advising he was selling his business in Launceston in 1857 but that is unconfirmed.

I know this is a bit long, but have included detail so people don't spend time looking for what we already know.

With thanks

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland
Pasley, Ireland
Simmonds, England

Offline 2shea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: To NZ from TAS - When?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Have you tried this site for departures from Tasmania

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?search=2 

There are a number of Thomas Smith's, If you know who he travelled with, that might help

Cheers
2shea
We are like butterflies, live for a day and think it is forever

Gallington - Mixter - Hill - Brown

Offline acookey

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • Katherine Pasley
    • View Profile
Re: To NZ from TAS - When?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you 2shea, yes I have searched that site.  My guess is that he was travelling with the two girls, Mary Ann and Margaret.

Cheers

Annette
RIP 2011
Cooke, Aust. England
Russell, Aust. Enland
McMinn, Ireland
Gee, Ireland
Crump, London
Bowen (Bohan), Ireland
Seage, Ireland
Smith, Aust.
Dore, Ireland