Author Topic: Venancio MORALEJO - Spain  (Read 5615 times)

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Venancio MORALEJO - Spain
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 August 13 21:04 BST (UK) »
Incredible ! No it's not the same picture -in  the one we have he is in uniform - we were told it was an ambassador's uniform.  The story passed down to us from my mother and her aunts is that Venancio met Mary Scott when he was studying and that they were very much in love and he wanted to marry her, but his parents would not allow it.  Mary fell pregnant and they named the baby Elvira Maria Adelphi Moralejo.  Mary later married a man called Dickson and Elvira's surname was changed to Dickson.  Elvira was born 6th December 1902 at 150 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh.  The birth certificate states her father as Venancio Moralejo medical student and Mary has put her surname as Mostyn which is not true - (big disgrace to be an unmarried  mother in those days)

Elvira had a pretty interesting life, went to Australia and ended up settling in Norway.  You have relatives you don't know about all over the place !

Offline familyhistorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 August 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
it would be really nice to see the photo you have. I can't imagine what an ambassador's uniform is and I can't imagine why he would wear one. The medical student would be correct - he was in Edinburgh to study medicine - didn't know it was tropical medicine. nice to know about more cousins; we are your Canadian cousins btw and there are Moralejo cousins in Spain (the name is considered rare there) and some of that family are in the US. There's also a branch of ours in England plus a bunch in Trinidad, but neither of those branches have Moralejo as last name. I'm still working on the family tree, have possibilities going back to Spain 1750s.

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 August 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Very exciting !  Have phoned my mother to tell her - she is 86 and in good health ( she is Elvira's daughter) she had a bit of trouble working out her relationship to you.  I am useless with photo scanning, but will get my daughter to do it when she is here tomorrow.  Are you in Canada or England ?  Mum had 8 children!  We are all living in Norfolk in England.  We are in contact with Elvira's daughter in Norway, Phyllis. 

Offline familyhistorian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 August 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
I would say your mother (Valerie?) is my first cousin because Richard and Elvira were step-siblings (your mother and I share the same grandfather). The Moralejos are known for their longevity - aside from Venancio, most of them live well into their 80s. My dad had 7 kids: 6 girls, one boy. We're in Canada.

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 August 13 22:26 BST (UK) »
Mum will be thrilled with that.  Elvira died quite young in her 70s but she had a pretty hard life.  I'm going to show her this conversation tomorrow and your photo.  Will send you our photo tomorrow too.  I'm off to sleep now as husband has a cycle race starting early tomorrow.  Many thanks for your information, it's great to fill in some of the gaps.

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 August 13 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hopefully this has attached properly.  The top photo is Elvira, Venancio's daughter, as a young girl, and the other is our photo of Venancio in some kind of uniform.  Elvira looks incredibly like your photo.

Offline Geoffreystephen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 22:11 BST (UK) »
Venancio moralejo was the brother of my grandmother Birgitta moralejo who had a daughter Margarita Becerra who married an Englishman Horace Ames who had emigrated to Trinidad as a young man about 18 years old in 1920's  They had seven children of which I am no5 .Two of us live in England ,two in Trinidad,two in Canada and one in America.Came upon your story by chance doing some research .never heard mention of a Scottish conectio

Offline Timian Lyons

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ! Phyllis is my Grandmother  :) If i understand this correctly, the timeline for my origin will look  like this :  Miguel(Spain) --> Demetrio(Spain) --> Venancio(Venezuela) --> Elvira(Scottland) --> Phyllis (Australia) --> Svein (Norway) --> Me (Norway) ?

I'd love to stay in touch with any of my distant relatives out there, if possible!
It would be really nice to have a chat with any of you on facebook.
My facebook-user is Timian Lyons.
Send me a message and a friendrequest :)

Timian