Author Topic: SMITH, QUINN, HOLOHAN, McDERMOTT  (Read 12869 times)

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SMITH, QUINN, HOLOHAN, McDERMOTT
« on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:29 BST (UK) »
Do the following details relate to anyone out there?

Peter Smyth/Smith married Judith/Julia MaGoohanMcGoohan in 1847 in Outeragh RC parish.  They had at least 5 children but I only have details of three births:  William born 1864, James born 1866 and Anne born 1871.  There was also a Bridget, a Pat and a Francis.

BRIDGET married Owen Quinn in 1884 in Drumreilly Upper RC Church.  Owen was a farmer from Drumdiffer townland and his father was Owen Quinn.

PAT married Mary Holohan in 1885 in Drumlea RC Church. Mary was from Drumlea and her father was James Holohan.

ANNIE married Bernard McDermott in 1899 in Drumlea RC Church.  Bernard's father was Hugh McDermott.

In the 1901 census, PATRICK was resideing with his family in Drumcowra/Drumcoura townland with wife Mary, Peter, Anne, James, Julia and Patrick.

Anyone know anything about Owen Quinn  and Bridget Smith, Bernard McDermott and Annie Smith or the children of Pat Smith and Mary Holohan?

Thanks

Sharyn

Offline phelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH, QUINN, HOLOHAN, McDERMOTT
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 November 09 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharyn.

Below is the URL for the National Archives for the Quinn Family that you are looking for.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Drumreilly_South/Drumdiffer/647074/

Bridget Smith (Quinn) had a daughter Bridget aged 9 in the Census who is my grandmother who married Francis Conlon and lived in Meelick Co Leitrim.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Breandrum/Meelick/661281/

They had five children Mel (Logan) , Martha (Clarke), Philomena (Valentine), Patricia (Coyne) & Sean.

Hope this info is useful.

Phil

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 09 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Thank you ever so much for this info.  I've been away in New Zealand and have just arrived home to this news - wonderful!  Don't suppose you have any other info on the Smith family ... My great grandfather was Francis Smith, Bridget's brother.

I'll check out the URL's you sent.

Cheers

Sharyn

Offline phelix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharyn,

I have no other info on the Smith family however there is a record in the 1911 Census as per the following URL

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Leitrim/Drumreilly/Drumcoura/647002/

Funny that we both live in Australia and we have found out about our family trees from so far away from Ireland.

The 1911 Census is very useful and ypu may need to play with it to get more information which may be availble,
it may be worth your while extending you enquiries to other neighbouring counties to Leitrim.

Go n-eiri an t-adh leat!

Phil

Offline Knroe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 October 12 16:33 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Maria Smith m H Roddy Mayo, Ballinamore a sister of Ann who married Bernard McDermot and Bridget who married Owen Quinn and Patrick who married Mary Holohan!  Many cousins still living in the Ballinamore area

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 September 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
I am researching my partner, Cath Smith. She is a descendant of Peter, Francis brother, they both came to Oz and settled in the Bathurst area.  Francis owned a Hotel in Bathurst.

Peter arrived on the Blairgowrie in April 1881, listed as Smyth, born Leitrim, Leitrim abt 1864, parents Peter and Julia and is going to stay with his brother Francis at Macquarie Plains (Bathurst).  On the immigration deposit record from 1880 it says he is residing at Drumcoura, Ballinamore, Leitrim.

So far I have been unable to find a birth record for any of the children of Peter and Julia before the three recorded after civil registration commenced.  Nor can I find an immigration record for Francis.

Any further info gratefully received ;)

Steve

Offline Knroe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

I had no record of a Peter Smyth - did not know about him but he children I have of Peter Smith & Julia  mcGoohan are

Maria b 1879
Francis b 1883
Bridget b 1884
Patrick b 1885
Ann b 1889
James
William

My email address is (*)  and if u send me your email I will send on what info I have.

Are you on Ancestry - I have a family tree on their - Moroney
I have been in touch with a descendent of Francis Smith in Australia but will send you on what I have when I get your email

Regards

Mary Duignan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Knroe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry Steve - I have given u incorrect information the dates I have given u are actually the year they got married - I will get back to my archives!

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 September 17 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary

Thanks for your reply.

I currently have

Francis b: 1857 - ancestry tree info
Bridget b: 1861 - ancestry tree info
Peter b: 1863 - 1865 - various primary sources; immigration, marriage, police enrolment, death
William b: 1864 - Irish Civil Registration records
Patrick b: abt - 1866  - ancestry tree info
James b: 1866  - Irish Civil Registration records
Anne b: 1871  - Irish Civil Registration records

I'll have a look at your tree, my ID is farmer_of_oz and a have a couple of Smith trees. 

Regards
Steve