Author Topic: SMITH, QUINN, HOLOHAN, McDERMOTT  (Read 12868 times)

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SMITH, QUINN, HOLOHAN, McDERMOTT
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 September 17 22:30 BST (UK) »
I am researching my partner, Cath Smith. She is a descendant of Peter, Francis brother, they both came to Oz and settled in the Bathurst area.  Francis owned a Hotel in Bathurst.

Peter arrived on the Blairgowrie in April 1881, listed as Smyth, born Leitrim, Leitrim abt 1864, parents Peter and Julia and is going to stay with his brother Francis at Macquarie Plains (Bathurst).  On the immigration deposit record from 1880 it says he is residing at Drumcoura, Ballinamore, Leitrim.

So far I have been unable to find a birth record for any of the children of Peter and Julia before the three recorded after civil registration commenced.  Nor can I find an immigration record for Francis.

Any further info gratefully received ;)

Steve

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 September 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,
I'm the contact that Mary has in Australia.  Do you know anything more about Peter?  Who he married?  When William was killed in 1914 there was a Florence Smith who was a witness/informant.  Could she have been Peter's wife?  I am in Canberra.  Are you in Oz?  My email address is Removed , see reply # 6.

Look forward to more contact.  Cheers

Sharyn

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 September 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
G'Day Sharyn,

I am indeed in OZ n Gosford.

What I have on Peter is...

Immigration deposit Journals, September 1880; Peter Smith, Depositor James Seage (who also seems to be in the Bathurst area); Peter Smith age 18, Thatcher?, Address Drumcoura, Balinamore.
Arrived Blairgowrie 28 Apr 1881

Blairgowrie Indent 28 Apr 1881; Peter Smyth, Age; 18, Labourer, Native Place; Leitrim, Parents; Peter and Julia Leitrim, Religion; RC, Reads and Writes, Relations in the Colony; Brother Francis at Macquarie Plains.  This is the only spot I have found his surname spelt Smyth

NSW State Records Registers of Police, 19 Jan 1882, appointed Police Constable. Police Register has 1862 as DOB

Marriage: 14 Sep 1887, at Bathurst to Catherine Murray, Peters birthplace Ireland, Parents Peter and Julia

13 June 1889, Bathurst Free Press
Application. — Mr. Peter Smith, late constable in the mounted police, stationed at Sofala for about I8 months, and altogether about six years in that branch of the force, has, we hear, been transferred on his own application, to the Bathurst gaol as a warder in that establishment. During Mr. Smith's employment in the police corps he gave full satisfaction to his superiors, and we congratulate him upon his well-deserved promotion.

Death, 26 Jun 1923 Harris St, Sydney, Burial 28 Jun Rookwood Catholic

Five children, Marjory 1889, Vincent Leo 1890, Francis Joseph 1893, Arthur Thomas 1896 and Peter Aloysius 11 JUN 1897

No Florence anywhere I can see.

What I cannot find is a birth record for Peter, Francis or Patrick.  Hopefully some of Francis Australian records might shed some more light on this area.

Regards
Steve

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 September 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
What I cannot find is a birth record for Peter, Francis or Patrick. 

Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so before that date you need to search for baptismal registers which may, or may not, record an actual date of birth. According to what's been posted already it looks as though Peter was born c1862, Francis c1857 and Patrick c1866 (although it's possible he was born before 1864).

Online (free) baptisms for Oughteragh (mentioned in 1st post here) start 1869-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0816

However, there is a pay site with baptisms and marriages from 1841-
https://www.johngrenham.com/records/rc_church.php?churchid=0816&parish=Oughteragh

Regarding Smith vs. Smyth- it's the same name. Remember that spelling was much more fluid and it's not uncommon to find such differences from one record to the next or even 2 or more spellings of a name in the same record.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 September 17 08:59 BST (UK) »
Death for a Peter Smith (c1814-1893) of Kiltynaskealan [Kiltynaskellan which is in Kildallan civil parish, Cavan], son James informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1893/06001/4707311.pdf
and one for a Peter Smith (c1821-1897) of Drumcoura [Drumreilly civil parish], son Pat. informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1897/05847/4656431.pdf
There's a 3rd possibility in Bawnboy district- Peter Smith (c1814-1889) but his certificate isn't online yet. Also one Peter Smyth (c1811-1877).

Better luck finding Julia since it's a more uncommon Christian name.
Julia Smyth (c1827-1892) of Drumcoura- son James informant-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1892/06026/4715724.pdf

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wow thank you so much for that  :D

I have read up on civil registration in Ireland and searched the Ancestry, FHL/LDS records as well as the Irish national archives church and civil records.  I must admit finding some of the place names and parishes a little confusing ;)

I too suspect Patrick may have been born before 1864.

I had all sorts of spelling stuff in my tree; Barragry as Beragraph being one which stumped me for a while.

I'll plug all the info to my software  8)

Regards
Steve

Offline SteveFarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

Francis had a pretty good life it seems, 10 children as well !

A couple of obituaries I found in Trove

National Advocate (Bathurst, NSW : 1889 - 1954) Fri 3 Feb 1928 Page 2 PERSONAL

The death occurred in Sydney yesterday of Mr. Francis Smith, who up to a few months ago, was one of Bathurst's oldest and most widely known residents.
Deceased, who was seventy-four years of age, arrived in Australia in the same ship from Ireland as the late Mr. James Tiernan whose death occurred only on Monday morning.
He arrived in Bathurst at a very early age and after being employed for many years by the Bathurst Council in road making
he took over the license of the defunct Britannia Hotel opposite the Burlington Picures.
From there he took charge of the Club House Hotel where he remained for many years.
Some twelve months age he retired into private life and it is only about three months ago since he, together with the members of his family left Bathurst to reside in Sydney.
Deceased was a member of the old school and his death will be deeply regretted, especially by the old hands in Bathurst and district.
He is survived by a wife and a grown up family.

The Catholic Press (Sydney, NSW : 1895 - 1942) Thu 9 Feb 1928 Page 31 A.H.C. GUILD.

The death of Bro. Francis Smith, late
of Coogee, and formerly of Bathurst, re
moves another highly-respected and well
known member of the community, particu
larly in Bathurst district. Born in Leitrim,
Ireland, in 1856, the deceased came to Aus
tralia in 1880. He was engaged in the
Railway Department at Molong, and later
went to Bathurst, where he resided for the
greater part of his life. After his retire
ment from the railways he enter
ed into business as host of the
Britannia Hotel, and later of the
Club House Hotel, which he occupied
for 27 years. Always of - a bright dis
position, he made many friends, and
took a  keen interest in sport,
particularly the athletic events in
connection with St. Patrick's Day. He
was 46 years a member of the Guild, and
during that period he held office on many
occasions. He removed to Coogee about
eight months ago, but failing health did
not give him the energy to enjoy his well
deserved rest. His remains were entrained
to Bathurst, and removed . to ,SS. Michael
and John's Cathedral. After a Requiem
Mass, the interment took place in the
local cemetery. A widow, five sons and
five daughters are the survivors, who have
received widespread sympathy in their bereavement.— -R.I.P.

Offline sharisul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 September 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Francis didn't leave many, if any, details of his life in Australia.  I was quite surprised to find that he had other brothers in Australia.  My Aunt, Francis' granddaughter, didn't have much detail of his life either.  Unfortunately I was too young to quiz my grandmother re her father before she died.  I do have marriage and death certificates for Francis but they're not full of info.  I have a photo of all the Smiths.  Do you have any photos? 
Cheers

Sharyn