Author Topic: HMS MONARCH - advice needed  (Read 2002 times)

Offline ceiriog1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HMS MONARCH - advice needed
« on: Sunday 26 July 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I am hoping that you all could provide me with help and advice on researching the HMS MONARCH between Nov 1855 - Jun 1858.

I am an absolute novice in naval history/research and wish to avoid expensive research at the archives.

I am interested in the HMS MONARCH as my ancestor's Master Mariner service records show that he served on this ship between the dates shown above.  He was not a navy man so I'm unsure how to go about getting info - initial google searches haven't come up with anything concrete.

All suggestions would be most welcome, many thanks

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: HMS MONARCH - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 July 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Ceirirog 1,
                    Have you really persevered with  Google ,HMS Monarch brings up losds of hits.
                                                                                                             Regards Rog
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 July 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
In June 1854 HMS Monarch was in the Baltic.  By 1855 she was headed for the Baltic again having been in ?South America by the looks of it.

But you say he was a Master Mariner, not a navy man, so I would think he was a merchant seaman. 

Have a look at this website:

http://www.mariners-l.co.uk/UK19thCSeamen.html

and the research guides from the National Archives, available to download here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk./catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?WT.lp=fh-rg&j=1#m

Nell

PS Just had a thought - was he taken on the strength of HMS Monarch as a result of his own vessel being lost in enemy action during the Crimean War - which also affected the Baltic Sea trade.  I know of someone who served in the Baltic.  He was on the Naval strength at that time but was normally a coastguard.

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ceiriog1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Rog - most of the details found on google seem to refer to 1854 or indeed the later HMS Monarch of around 1867

Thanks for the info Nell

Robert Jones served for 2 years and 9 months on the HMS Monarch so I can only think that he was drafted in as he had experience as a seaman - it was the only navy ship that he served on during his seamans career.  There's a midshipman's logbook in the Scottish Archives written by C M Dundas for the exact period that Robert served - it says "on the pacific station", I'm hoping that you may know what that means?

thanks again

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 09 19:06 BST (UK) »
http://wapedia.mobi/en/Pacific_Station

There You Go Regards, Rog :D ;D
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 09 20:40 BST (UK) »
Pacific Station would fit - I found a reference to the Monarch being in Valparaiso, Chile.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Grant Christison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 July 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you have been successful in obtaining information on HMS Monarch at the Pacific Station in the 1850s?
Monarch was Admiral Henry William Bruce's flag ship from about 1856 to 1858 when he served on the Pacific Station, based then at Valparaiso, Chile.
His first ship on that station was HMS President but he later transferred to Monarch.
I am also interested in Monarch as it is part of a research project in which I am currently engaged.