Author Topic: Archibald McLEAN  (Read 9153 times)

Offline helke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald McLEAN
« on: Tuesday 28 July 09 04:35 BST (UK) »
Married Elizabeth Bevan at Wantabadgery 8 Nov 1861.  When did he come to NSW?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McLEAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 04:56 BST (UK) »

2972/1861     
MCLEAN  Archibald
BEVAN      Elizabeth
District Wagga Wagga

His place of birth,age and parents' names should be on his marriage certificate and then perhaps if he can be found on a census with his family it  may help narrow down the period to search for his arrival in NSW. 

Have you his death certificate?  His years in Australia should be detailed if known to the informant.

Cheers
Cando   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 08:34 BST (UK) »
Yes I do have his Marriage and Death Certificates but the time in the colony is blank.  There is a Archibald McLean, convict, arriving in Geelong in 1847, but have not been able to prove it was him.  Archibald McLean is a very popular name with many, many on the shipping list, so hard to find him that way.  Just thought someone may recognise the names.  Thank you for your interest,
- from Helke

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
I assume you have the Mcclean children listed with parents Archibald and Elizabeth?

8232/1862  Gundagai, Alexander
16042/1865 Wagga Wagga, Sarah J
17379/1868  Wagga Wagga, Elizabeth
10697/1870  Gundagai, Sarah Jane
15568/1864  Wagga Wagga, Richard B

If you would like to post the actual death date and place for Archibald I'd be happy to see if there is an obit in a local paper for him.  Some local papers have wonderful info.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Judith - Archibald and Elizabeth's children were Alexander 1862, Richard Bevan 1864, Sarah Jane 1865/1867, Margaret Ann 1866, Elizabeth 1868, Sarah Jane 1870, Archibald 1873, John 1875 (my grandfather), twins William James and Robert Duncan 1876, Peter 1878, Janet 1880/1881, David 1882 and George 1885.  Archibald McLean died on 6 March 1896, buried in Junee Cemetery (headstone says 1897, but I have a Death Certificate).
If you are able to look for an obituary in the Junee paper that would be wonderful, I live in Brisbane and won't be down that way in the foreseable future.

Thank you,
Helke

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 12:01 BST (UK) »
Do you  know when and where he was born?

this information  should be on one of his childrens birth certificates?

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 06:36 BST (UK) »
Bother!
I cannot find a newspaper that covers Junee for the time of Archibald's death.  One starts 1899 and another finishes 1887 with another one starting 1902.

I had a look at the Wagga (about 20 miles away) newspaper of the time but no mention of any news from Junee at all  :(  Nor from the Cootamundra newspaper.  io guess the good citizens of Junee must just have passed the news along by word of mouth!

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 07:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for investigating the newspapers for me.

Helke

Offline chantelle_49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 March 10 00:51 BST (UK) »
Archibald's obituary in the Gundagai Times reads:

Illabo correspondent: It is my sad duty to report the death of Mr A McLean, formerly of Ballengeoch, near Junee, but who had latterly been living with his family on the Bethungra Park estate, Illabo. The deceased gentlyman at one time owned considerable property, and was noted for his unbounded hospitality. He also took considerable interest in the framing of the show association, Junee, of which he was a member. Misfortune befell him in his old age, and his fine estate was swept away from him. He leaves a wife and large family, most of whom are totally unprovided for. Very general sympathy is expressed for them. The cause of death was simply a break up of the system. The age of the deceased was somewhere about 65 years.

Arch and Elizabeth's oldest son Alexander was my Great Grandfather, and I have a fair amount of information about the family, especially about Archibald if you're interested.