Author Topic: Archibald McLEAN  (Read 9151 times)

Offline Connie Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald McLEAN
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 06:01 BST (UK) »
Archibald's obituary in the Gundagai Times reads:

Illabo correspondent: It is my sad duty to report the death of Mr A McLean, formerly of Ballengeoch, near Junee, but who had latterly been living with his family on the Bethungra Park estate, Illabo. The deceased gentlyman at one time owned considerable property, and was noted for his unbounded hospitality. He also took considerable interest in the framing of the show association, Junee, of which he was a member. Misfortune befell him in his old age, and his fine estate was swept away from him. He leaves a wife and large family, most of whom are totally unprovided for. Very general sympathy is expressed for them. The cause of death was simply a break up of the system. The age of the deceased was somewhere about 65 years.

Arch and Elizabeth's oldest son Alexander was my Great Grandfather, and I have a fair amount of information about the family, especially about Archibald if you're interested.

Hi Chantelle...it's Connie (wife of Roy Campbell who is the son of Joyce McLean). I am currently doing our family tree and have seen some of your work. Would you be able to send me the info you have? Thanks :)

Offline kmclean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 13:53 BST (UK) »
I think Arch might be my great, great grandfather? Arch>Alex>Charles Herbet>Robert John>me. Would be interested to see where I fit into the greater McLean clan. Flew over the old dam wall at Bethungra the other day. Story has it Charles rode a pushbike over it as a youngster. Pretty ballsy if he really did because it's only about 18" wide!

Offline Connie Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 07 June 18 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hey kmclean

My husband Lawrence Roy Campbell is the grandson of Lawrance (Tiger) McLean who is Charles Herbert's half brother. I have a very extensive tree on MyHeritage.

https://www.myheritage.com/site-family-tree-247873621/pulscampbell-family?rootIndivudalID=1525215&familyTreeID=1

cheers Connie

Offline kmclean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 07 June 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
Neat! Cummins & Hulm are names I remember growing up & 'Tiger' rings a bell. I'll have to try to get a login for the MyHeritage site you're on. Is there some group site where different branches of the family tree can join up into one big tree?