Author Topic: Streatham Park Cemetery, London  (Read 42130 times)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Streatham Park Cemetery, London
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Anyone looking for help with this cemetery is best contacting the cemetery direct.  It comes under the London Borough of Wandsworth.
Oh boy are they helpful when you phone them!!!! Rude was one word I would use.  And they will not answer ANY questions over the phone, you have to write in and enclose a cheque for £30.00. 
My pet hate: Wandsworth Coucil
My g/granddad is there.

Wandworth Council have nothing to do with Streatham Park Cemetery or South London Crematorium, its in Private Hands & has been for a very long time.

Not really sure where you get Wandworth from?

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 January 10 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Ronni

The Lodge has gone, it`s where the Office was located, its now a row of houses.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 25 January 10 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Now you can see why I said they were so rude, they did not even have the decency to say that both sites are now in private hands.  Only that if I sent in £30.00 for each record they would look up the cemetary records - wonder if they even have them.  And this was only about 2 years ago!!!
G.granddad in Streatham & his wife cremated Sth London Crem
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 25 January 10 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Streatham Cemetery is located in Magdalen Road, which is Wandsworth, but I believe records & queries are dealt with at Lambeth Cemetary/Crematorium.

Streatham & Streatham Park are 2 completely different Cemeteries.

Link to help with Streatham Park.
http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/CommunityLiving/DeathsFuneralsCremations/Cemeteries.htm

I can understand your upset at Wandsworth & there really is no excuse, I guess they just take your £30 & then write back & say No record found....I can`t write what I think, but I`m sure you`ll know.

You`ll definetely find the attitudes & care a wholely different experience at Streatham Pk/Sth London Crem.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Offline ronni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone living nearby the cemetry that can check out for me whether there is still a gravestone in place at Grave 27836 Square 76 (or maybe 7b? - can't read writing)

I have finally located the burial site for Samuel and Margaret Morris - My great grandparents. The gravestone may have been removed in 1983 when there was a relawning project and the grave owner at the time may not have known about this.

If anyone one can go and see for me and perhaps take a photo to send to me I would be very grateful.

In hope...

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 19:38 GMT (UK) »
I`m sure the square number will be 7b (don`t think theres a 76), I`ll try & check in the next few days...Fairly busy tomorrow (wall-papering/painting amongst other things), but hopefully have time on Friday.

You`ve obviously found out something else.....I could only find a few Morris`s but they seemed to be in Common Graves, I tried Norris, & did find something likely, but that again seemed likely a common grave.

Photos shouldn`t present a problem, if there is a Memorial...if not would you just like a photo of the area?

I can take my DSLR & take a pic of whatever, the file size might be big & I can include a Raw file of the photo....1 pic can be as large as 20Mb, but its no hassle & it`ll give a chance of enhancement.

If you`d like to talk via PM then that isn`t problem either.

Going there is really easy for me.... :)

Steve

Offline ronni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 19:41 GMT (UK) »
THanks Stevie That would be brilliant. Please take a photo or what ever you find there!

I had to get the death certs first so that they could locate the entries in the books! That made all the difference.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 19:48 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

I`ll see what I can find & see..

The weather hasn`t been the best of late in South London, but I`ll do my best...

If its peeing down with rain, it might have to wait a day or so, but I`ll get a look & Pics.

Steve

Offline ronni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I received a map of the cemetery yesterday and the square is 7B number 27836.

Have you had a chance to check it out for me yet? Would be so grateful if you could find the time weather permitting.

Many thanks.