Author Topic: Pique  (Read 7031 times)

Offline parsnip2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pique
« on: Tuesday 28 July 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone have knowledge of the Pique from Dover.  Louis Pique came over from France in 1815 and married a local woman Anna Bartlett.  I am descended form one of their five surviving children, who became a hairdresser in Dover.

I would love to know more!

Lisa

Offline piquedecendent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pique
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

My grandfather has researched Louis Pique as he is a direct decendent of the man himself! He has gathered together a fair bit of information on the family tree over the past 20 years, but sadly has been unable to go back any further than his arrival in Dover. Our branch of the family ended up in London via Northumberland, so the Pique children and grandchildren certainly travelled a fair bit. If you want to know more I do have a copy of Grandpa's family tree.

Siobhan

Offline parsnip2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sioban,

Great to get your reply.  We too are direct descendents, he is my 4 x great grandfather on my mother's side.  I would love to see your family tree -  if it helps my email is (*)
We have lots of information about him also after getting to Dover.
If you google Grosvenor Prints and search Louis Pique you will see a print of the man himself - you may well have already seen this.
I am interested to know where he came from in France, even where he disembarked in England.  He claimed his grandfather was Francois Louis Pique a famous violin maker from Boret in France, we have his details, but the maths doesn't quite add up.
We have probably seen the same information, which we got from Dover Museum.
We are descende from Louis Pique his eldest son, what is your connection.

I also wondered where you were writing from.  We didn't go far and are only in the next town along in Deal.  In fact I was in Dover today, Lisa Carter x x

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline piquedecendent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 November 10 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Just spoken to Grandpa, he is 88 and his memory and eyesight are not great but he was able to remember that Sarah Ann Pique, daughter of Louis Pique junior was his grandmother, and that Louis Pique junior died in the workhouse after his hairdressing shop was demolished. I live in Norfolk, my grandfather is in North London.

I have a copy of scenes of Dover hanging in my hallway complete with a picture of L.P himself. The family joke is that Grandpa looks like him, and does have the same profile and is not very tall either!

There are also some decendents living out in Tasmania. Not sure how long they have been there but hopefully it was by choice!!!

Your email address has been removed by the moderator so I have had to reply on here. I will take a trip down to London in the next week or two and dig out all the research Grandpa has done so far and let you know!

Take care, Siobhan

Offline parsnip2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 14 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Siobhan,

Lisa (related to Louis Pique) here.  I tried to send you a message a couple of days ago, but I don't think it got to you.  As you know the moderator removed my e-mail details, but you can still find me on FB, although it might be easier to find you if you don't mind this, as your name is more exotic than mine, although i don't have your surname.  I am sure there are many of me.  I am still stuck at Dover and would still love to see the family history your grandfather put together.  I'm sorry I've been quiet for  so long but family priorities have taken all my time recently and I haven't done any family research.  I find it quite relaxing, so here I am again.  I did come across a couple more articles, one that may or may not be related about a Cadet Pique who was tried and acquitted for larceny in 1815, he gave his age as being 30, so it fits, but that was not in this county, so maybe he didn't land in Dover after all.  it is a shame there are no ships records for this particular period.  Also there is a record of one of his grandsons I think it is, rescuing someone at the docks in Dover and being given an award.  I would love to share all this with you.  I don't know how we can get in touch, unless you are allowed to put phone numbers on here, as I said FB maybe the way to go.  I may write to the moderator and see what we are allowed to do.  Hope you are well. Kind regards, Lisa Carter

Offline parsnip2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 May 14 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, me again, I was just reading and it looks as if you have to send at least three messages before you can then have the facility to send PM's or private messages to each other, so I though I would let you know this and this message might also take me to me quota.  We'll have to see, if it does indeed onlock this facility I will again try and send you my e-mail address.

Offline parsnip2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 May 15 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Siobhan,

a very long time since I last wrote to you.  Would you be willing to PM me your details so I could e-mail you privately?

Many thanks,

Lisa Carter

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa,

I know that you are trying to reach piquedecendent as it has been so long since this last reply was made by sending this message it should notifiy her of your replies here.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk