Author Topic: James Connolly  (Read 47003 times)

Offline Clara090784

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Connolly
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
My Mother's maiden name is Connolly and her parents are from Kilkenny. I have been told we have lineage to James Connolly and I have always been interested in learning more about our family history. Any insight as to James Connolly lineage in Kilkenny?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Not in Kilkenny but took photos of a MEMORIAL to James Connolly a few days ago... on it are several other surnames McGloin etc. Quite a few Connollys in the g/yard.

These will be going up on IGP some time in the future!

I didn't keep the photos I took so it will just be a matter of waiting until a volunteer has time to transcribe them and as they are only human it's advisable to check images against photos especially as some are in Gaelic!

The volunteer transcribing may live in USA or Australia or wherever.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 15 October 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
chrisnina has kindly rushed to get the photos up on http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/headstones.htm in order to try and facilitate you.

These haven't been transcribed into text file yet but photos are online....

http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/leitrim/photos/tombstones/leitrim-kinlough/index.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Catherine Rainwater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 05:44 BST (UK) »
It looks as if this threat hasn't been replied to in a long while.  I'm looking for information about a possible link.  I was told my grandfather was a Great-something nephew of James'.  His name is Peter Connolly (though they called him Pat).  He was born Sept 21, 1906.  My mother says he was born in Glasgow, though ultimately he ended up in Farmington, Michigan.  He married Helen Renaud, and they had 8 children: Barbara, Timothy, Michael, Patricia, Colleen (My mom), Sheila, Daniel, and Dennis.   Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away October 12, 1988, and my grandmother passed away in November of 2003.  So I can't ask either of them any information.  We have a lot of family from my Grandmother's side in Canada, but I've never really heard of or met any on my Grandfather's side.  I'm having a hard time finding Thomas' and John's family lines.  Anyone have any info??

Offline Hibernian210516

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 08 May 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
I have been told that James Connolly is my great great uncle. My grandmother was Ellen Bain (nee Connolly) who dies in 2000 and her mother, my great grandmother was Elizabeth Connolly who stayed at 202 Canongate (beside the wee newsagent shop). She died in 1990? Her husband (my great grandfather) John Connolly died in 1975.

I have been told, my great grandfather John was the son of John Connolly Jnr, James Connolly's brother.

I cannot find any information on John Connolly Jnr, apart from Elizabeth Aicheson? who was his wife. This name would link with my great grandmother's name, Elizabeth.

Any help is much appreciated. Going up to Mount Vernon Cemetery later on to get some dates of births and deaths.

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 08 May 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Ina Connolly Heron's witness statement gives some details on her father's brother John - namely that he was in the Army and died in 1916
http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0919.pdf#page=119
A bit more snooping says that he enlisted using the name REID. That appears correct as one of his files (1914) exists giving his wife as Elizabeth Aicheson/ Connolly of 4 Fountain Close, Edinburgh.
His death is here:
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/416281/CONNOLLY,%20JOHN
and they married 8th August 1891 (you can buy that on Scotlandspeople)
The file says they have 5 children but none are named unfortunately.
You really need your g grandfather's birth cert - or failing that his marriage cert or I believe Scottish death certs name parents names as well ?

Offline Hibernian210516

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 08 May 17 19:35 BST (UK) »
Ina Connolly Heron's witness statement gives some details on her father's brother John - namely that he was in the Army and died in 1916
http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/reels/bmh/BMH.WS0919.pdf#page=119
A bit more snooping says that he enlisted using the name REID. That appears correct as one of his files (1914) exists giving his wife as Elizabeth Aicheson/ Connolly of 4 Fountain Close, Edinburgh.
His death is here:
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/416281/CONNOLLY,%20JOHN
and they married 8th August 1891 (you can buy that on Scotlandspeople)
The file says they have 5 children but none are named unfortunately.
You really need your g grandfather's birth cert - or failing that his marriage cert or I believe Scottish death certs name parents names as well ?

Thanks for that. I can now confirm that James Connolly was my great great uncle. John Connolly (husband of Elizabeth Aichison) was my great great grandad and John Connolly (husband of Elizabeth Wilson) was my great grandfather. I always knew that Elizabeth was my great grandmother as I used to visit her in her house in the Canongate and in the nursing home she was in on Little Road, Edinburgh until the day she died. My great grandfather married my great grandmother on 16th January 1920 witnessed my his parents John and Elizabeth (nee Aichison).

Offline bryson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
I'm Brian and so's my wife!

It's amazing how many are related. I was looking for the maternal grandparents of my paternal grandmother - my great aunt said that her mum, Mary Connelly, had come from Galway, Ireland and that there was a small social issue with her religion. She emphasised the surname was pronounced "Con-NEE-Lee"  - I've been unable to find anything on her.

Visiting newly found relatives one told me he had problems joining the military when he was younger, when asked why he was cryptically told, "Find out who your grandmother's uncle was". He believes it's James Connolly. Is there a family tree around that would show nieces? This would be a great help finding Mary Connolly's family.
John Bryson - Pollokshield, Glasgow b 1910
Katheleen Smith Walton on Thames, Surrey b. 1914
Robert Henry Smith, Walton on Thames, Surrey b 1885

Offline Schalk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 04 November 18 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Is there anyone who can please help me with any information on Thomas Connolly, born in Edinburgh on the 27 April 1866, who was the son of John and Mary Connolly, looking for any information on his wife and children, as Thomas was my Great Grandfather.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.