Author Topic: Stubbs in Mallow  (Read 31650 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stubbs in Mallow
« on: Thursday 30 July 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
I have recently found my grandfather William Stubbs b. 1905 in Mallow Workhouse to Annie Stubbs b.1886 Co. Cork, no father on birth certificate. 

I have looked on the 1911 census and found a family, William b.1851 and Mary b.1859 Stubbs, sons Daniel, Christopher and Michael and daughter Anne aged 25 and grandson William who is 5 years old. 

I am assuming this is the right family for my William Stubbs on 3 counts, firstly this is the right place as my mum, Anne, remembered visiting her grandmother, also Anne, in Mallow, secondly he is the only William Stubbs living in Mallow of the right age and thirdly because William and Mary have only 4 children living and as they are all single William, the grandson, must be illegitimate. 

I have also found that Billy and Mary Stubbs tombstones are at St Gobnait's cemetery. I would like to know if these are the same William and Mary as in the 1911 census.

Any help you can give me would be gratefully appreciated as I have only just started researching my Irish roots and unfortunately all the elders died before I was interested!!
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Stubbs in Mallow
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
Irish Civil registration started in 1864 - so a little to late to find the births of William and Mary. However it should be possible to find thier mariage and the births of their children.  These would give you Mary's maided name and the names for the fathers of William & Mary.

familysearch have an Irish index availabale at : http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=2;t=searchable;c=1408347

you can order research certs from the GRO by post - see www.groireland.ie
using the details from the index, i.e. Name, record type, year/quarter, registration district, volume and page number ( the other details on the index are familysearch/LDS references)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, will try that.  :) :)
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
Also is interesting that Daniel is aged 33 in 1911.

And  William and Mary Stubbs are only married 30. So did this Daniel have a different mother.

This is most likely the marriage index

William Stubbs
Mallow Registration District
Jan-Mar 1880
Vol 5 Page 346

You could chance sending away for the marriage cert on http://www.groireland.ie/

If you give them the above details should be able to find it.

Explain on the form you are fairly sure the wife should be Mary but you dont know her maiden name.

I drive through Mallow every so often i might have a look for the graves of Billy and Mary.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerard,

I did wonder about Daniel because I can only find reg details for Anne, Christopher and Michael and grandson William on the Family Search pilot scheme that I was shown by Shane (although I did find a Dan Tubbs in 1878 in Nenagh, Tipperary) so it's possible that he was from another mother unless they just didn't register him.   ???

I have sent away for Anne's birth cert so that should have her mother's maiden name, I did explain that I didn't know the name on the certificate application form so here's hoping, when I get that back I'll try the marriage certificate.  :)

Thanks for your help and if you do happen to see the tombstones of Billy and Mary that would be absolutely fantastic.  :D

Offline GAJM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
Also worth a look is that on the census from the marriage between William and Mary they had 7 children born alive and only 4 are still living in 1911.

There is a column for this. So is possible. That the grandson's father/mother was dead by 1911 and living with grand parents.

Ger

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:35 BST (UK) »
I know that the Grandson William's mother was Anne as I have his original birth certificate, I also know that there was no father named on the certificate, (he admitted himself that he was illegitimate) and he was born in Mallow Workhouse, so I am assuming that the Anne on the 1911 census is his mother as I can find no other Stubbs family in Mallow. Do you know if Stubbs was a common name in Ireland?

Offline GAJM

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:40 BST (UK) »
Seems to be rare enough.

Only 12 Stubbs in the whole of Cork in 1911.

And 83 Stubbs in 1911 Census for what Counties have being transcribed so far.

Assuming the spelling Stubbs has being transcribed correct!

I had a look in Griffiths Valuation taken around 1851 for Cork.

And only two listings

Surname Forename Townland Parish County
Stubbs Anne Carrignafoy Templerobin Cork
Stubbs Anne Upper Cotterell's-Row,Qt,(Carrignafoy) Templerobin Cork

Griffiths was not a census but a record of those who rented/held land/property at
the time.

Have a look at this link
http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_family_search_form.php

And search for Stubbs in Cork it appears an Anne Stubbs was some sort of sub leaser of land.  123 people seem to be renting land from her she may have being an agent for a landlord or local gentry. But then you William is only a Labourer in 1911 so dont know if any connection.

Ger

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerard,  :)

It DOES seem to be rare so far, my mother-in-law, Anne, (William the grandson's daughter) liked to think they were related to George Stubbs the artist so if there is not a proliferation of Stubbs's in Ireland maybe an off shoot came to Ireland from his family in Liverpool. You never can tell  ;)

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I will keep that info from Griffiths and have a look at it myself, the name Anne does seem to run thro the family, but then again that and Mary are prob some of the most common Irish girls names I can think of.  :)

regards
Diane