Author Topic: Stubbs in Mallow  (Read 31652 times)

Offline bridewell native

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stubbs in Mallow
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 March 13 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I lived in No.10 Bridewell Lane from 1945(when I was nearly 3) to 1961.  Our living quarters was over a forge and the window of the kitchen overlooked Annie's residence, which was just beyond the Clock House Mineral Water factory and Thaedy Lyne's forge was on the other side of Annie's house. She was a larger than life character, good humoured, energetic and always busy with something or other.  When I was about 14 she would ask for help in plucking the turkeys and Geese in her kitchen for Christmas.  I didn't like plucking geese but so did Annie.  When my mother, Nora (Barrett) Dodd died in 1994, we had a trip down memory lane in trying to remember all those who lived in Bridewell Lane.  There was no hesitation in remembering Annie, she was a real character who contributed greatly to our little community in Bridewell Lane.  We didn't know anything about her family and at my age I probably was not too interested in that aspect.  Loved reading your emails.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 09 March 13 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your kind message. My husband never knew his great grandmother Annie but his mother, also Ann, said that she used to go to Mallow in the holidays and stay with her grandmother. She used to say that she loved going there because her grandmother was always busy baking and had many happy times there. Please can I save your comments to my tree for others to see what a great personality Annie was? (I will take out your mother's name if you wish).
Thanks again xx
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline bridewell native

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 09 March 13 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I am new to this game but having known Annie Stubbs as a teenager, I just had to give my two pence halfpenny worth.  Please do eliminate my mother's name from the text of mine - shows you, I am uneducated in the technological facilities.  I forgot to mention that Annie must have been in her 80's when I knew her, but this didn't restrict her great energy and involvement in everything that was going on around her.  Best regards.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have added your kind comments to my tree about Annie who would have been in her early 70's at the time although to a fourteen year old she would have appeared very ancient indeed.  ;) I have also left out mum's name for your privacy. I hope you enjoy using Rootschat, I use it very often when I have a problem/query and I find the members very helpful indeed. Thanks everyone!!  :)
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline NYC-JIM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 November 16 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, in the category of "better late than never..."--- I too am one of Annie Stubbs' great-grandsons.

To answer your question about Annie's husband, she married Daniel McCarthy and they had 4 children (in addition to Annie's son William with farmer O'Brien).   Those children were Daniel (my grandfather-- born c. 1916), Michael, Anne, and Eileen.

My mom (b. 1942) grew up in Limerick but would visit her grandmother in Mallow on Bridewell Lane.   The description of Annie being quite a character was very accurate.  She was also a very warm a loving grandmother.   I have a few pictures of her if anyone is interested.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 27 November 16 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi NYC-JIM,

Thanks for your reply to my post, better late than never is great, it's lovely to have a surprise on a Sunday morning, thanks.

My husband, Dave, would be really happy to see photos of Annie, we heard so much about her from his mum Anne Kelly nee Stubbs, she used to go to Mallow in the summer holidays and spend time with her grandmother, happy days for her! I don't think she knew any more about her after the Kelly family moved to England.

I will send you a pm with my email address.

Thanks, Diane

Offline John Stubbs

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 27 November 16 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello my name is John Stubbs and I was born in 1950 my father Robert Stubbs was born in Mallow in 1922 his parents were Daniel and Kate Stubbs who lived and run the waterworks until the 1950's.  There was one brother Mick and 2 sisters May and Nellie. Only Mick remained in Mallow my father and two Aunts moved to Bristol England. Also during the 50's and 60's  my fathers cousins Anne and Eileen left for England Anne married Patrick Ford and ran a Hotel in Nailsworth Gloucestershire called The George until Patrick died previous to this they had a shop in Swindon and ran a Pub, they had two sons George and John. Her sister Eileen lived in Slimbridge Gloucestershire. There son George? died at age 8years and they also had a daughter Mary.
Mick and Mary(Molly) had 4 children Father Jim, Michael, Renee and Robbie. Michael and Jean and Renee and Billy Barrett still live in Mallow.
I was one of 6 children Daniel, John, Paul, Barry Jeanette and Andrew.
May and Bruno have 4 children, Anne, Marie, John and Stephen
Nellie had Pat had 5 children Liam,Catherine, Marie, Michael and John.
I never met Anne Stubbs but made several trips back to Mallow with my parents, on my own and with my wife Anne.  I look forward to hearing from any of my relatives.

John

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 27 November 16 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline NYC-JIM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 27 November 16 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark, thanks so much for the link.   It was excellent and answered a bunch of questions I had on my great great grandparents (William and Mary Stubbs).

I noticed William and Mary were born in Ireland but I'd heard they were originally from England.  Does anyone know when the family arrived in Ireland ?

Cousin John, thanks for your very thorough post.  I actually have a photo of your grandfather (Daniel Stubbs) and my grandfather (Daniel McCarthy- your grandfather's nephew) that was taken by your aunt Mary (Mick's wife) in 1943.   If you send me a personal message (PM) with your e-mail, I'd be happy to send it to you.   All the best, Jim