Author Topic: Stubbs in Mallow  (Read 31656 times)

Offline EpsomTom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stubbs in Mallow
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 July 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
I hope this may help

The William and Mary Stubbs on the Mallow 1911 census were my great grandparents, their son Christopher Stubbs was my grandfather, one of his daughters - Mary Stubbs - is my mother and she is still with us at 94 years young!
I've not found much about William and Mary, I'm very new to this stuff and only started a couple of weeks ago. They were married in Mallow on 10/02/1880, she was Mary Beechinor. Both listed as previously unmarried. They are also on the 1901 Census, living in Ballalley Lane, Mallow then too.
Did Annie Stubbs live in Swindon at some stage. I recall visiting someone who had a corner shop around about 1960 in Swindon and my mum refers to someone else having a pub or small hotel in Gloucester who was related to Annie, a daughter maybe?
Regards
Tom

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,
William and Mary are my husband Dave's great great grandparents , so that makes you cousins a few times removed, you are the same generation as Dave's mum (also Anne). Your mum Mary would have been her aunt.

Unfortunately most of the elders of the family have passed away but I will try to get hold of Anne's brothers Billy and George who are still alive.

As far as I know Annie stayed in Mallow after her son, William, moved to Dublin and married Bridget Rosanna Woods in 1923.

They had Anne, Bridget (Brenda), William (Billy), George and Michael. Anne married Patrick Kelly and had 2 children born in Ireland.

In the mid 50's all the family from Bridget and William moved to London. My husband, Dave, was born to Anne and Patrick in London.

Anne always spoke of visiting her Nan (Annie) in Mallow as a child in the 1930's so Annie must have been there but she never mentioned any of the other members of Annie's family.

Will contact you when can speak to the others
Diane

Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline EpsomTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Diane

Interesting stuff. Maybe I've muddled the Swindon connection, or could be the right family but a generation or two adrift. Were the 2 children born in Ireland to Anne and Patrick Kelly daughters?

Give my regards to my cousin, your husband!

I'll see if I can find out anything else, I look forward to hearing about anything you unearth.

Regards
Tom

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 August 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom, I have spoken to Billy and Georgie.

Annie from Mallow married a guy called McCarthy or McCarty, apparently both common usage of the name and then they lost touch they think.

If anyone watching this thread knows more of this please let me know. :) :)

Apparently another member of our family may know more, will try to get hold of him.  :)

Anne, (Annie's grandaughter) and Patrick Kelly, my husband Dave's mum and dad, had a daughter Bridget and a son Patrick and then my husband in England.

We also have a bit of interest on our side,  ;)
Annie's son William was illegitimate  :-[  and the name O'Brien was bandied about in those days. Well. I paid the Mallow Heritage centre to look at the 1901 census, 3 years before William's conception and who do you think was the employer of 17 year old Annie, yes, Farmer O'Brien aged 70 and his 2 sons, aged at the time 13 and 15!!! I think we have the culprit!  :D

I hope you enjoy using rootschat, it's solved lots of questions for my ancestors. Will be in touch. We would be interested to hear of any colourful ancestors you may turn up. If you go to my profile you can send messages privately, I will contact you of any living folk that way.
Diane, Dave sends his best.

Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline JOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 October 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
The O Brien that you refer to was William O Brien,my Greatgrandfather , he was actually aged 74 in 1901, the  sons you refer to are Maurice and David. Maurice died in 1969 and lived all his life in the family home. David went to South Africa in about 1910 to join his two older brothers that fought in the Boer War. My family still live in this house.  Your theory may be correct about Annie Stubbs. Who knows ! If you check the 1901 census for the same townland you will find the Stubbs name recorded as domestic servants for the home of Fanny Lynch. I dont know if they are conneced. I know there is a Stubbs family currently living in Mallow. Maybe my father who is now 80 , might know if there is a connection.

Offline Kalishoek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nec scire fas est omnia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, have you tried The Mallow Heritage Center  for birth, baptism, marriage and death records online
The site address is http://www.mallowheritagecentre.com
By the look of things they have the baptism records  from all the Stubbs
It does cost 5 Euro per record though :(

I live in Mallow let me know if I can do something  for you

Kind regards

The newbie Annemarie
Researching the names, Healy, Breen, Dingley, Daly, O'Connell
Places : Mallow , county Cork, Dublin, New York and other US states
For the Netherlands, Kalishoek,Mulder,van der Vos, De Koning and more

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, have you tried The Mallow Heritage Center  for birth, baptism, marriage and death records online
The site address is http://www.mallowheritagecentre.com
By the look of things they have the baptism records  from all the Stubbs
It does cost 5 Euro per record though :(

I live in Mallow let me know if I can do something  for you

Kind regards

The newbie Annemarie

Welcome to rootschat Annemarie

Ger from Newmarket back the road :)

Offline JOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 11:40 BST (UK) »
My father said that he knew Annie Stubbs, and that she lived behind the Clock House in Mallow. He remembers as a yooung boy ,visiting her in the 30's and 40's. He thinks that she didnt have any children. She was friendly with my Granmother and used to visit the house in the Ironmines on a regular basis. This Annie Stubbs had a brother called Christopher.

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi JOC ( and welcome Annemarie  :D)
My husband, has been in touch with the family elders and they are certain that O'Brien is the name that was connected with his grandfather, William Stubbs, although we can never be sure which person was his father ;)

I appreciate that the subject is a bit sensitive but it's also fascinating and exciting to find other family however distant :D

Annie Stubbs did have a brother Christopher who was 6 years younger than her.  We don't know when or how William got to Dublin but in 1923 he married Bridget Rosanna Woods there and their 1st child born in 1924 was Anne Stubbs who is my husband's mother. Anne often used to visit her grandmother Annie in Mallow as a child and she eventually moved to England in the mid 1950's.

The family think that Annie Stubbs married a Mr McCarty (Mc Carthy?) at some time.  ??? Does anone know about this?