Author Topic: David Campbell Ferguson  (Read 8293 times)

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Campbell Ferguson
« on: Friday 31 July 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find my grandfather David Campbell Ferguson who was possibly born in Helensburgh Dunbartonshire, around 1883 to 1886.  His parents were probably Duncan and Catherine Ferguson, (ms campbell)
My main thread is to trace Catherine's family in the hope of solving the mystery of a silver Gents fob watch which is inscribed 'presented to Colin Campbell in Greenock on15th April 1853'  but first I feel I need to find my Grandfather.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: David Campbell Ferguson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 09 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

Not seeing anything on the censuses for 1891/1901 that helps to find Duncan either to those parents or birth place  :-\  What other info do you have on him? Have you looked at his marriage cert for example to confirm his parents names?

Monica 
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Searching for a Duncan I was!

Can't see anything for 1891 as yet. For 1901, there is a David Ferguson born c. 1885 in Helenburgh working away from home as a Farm Servant Cattleman in Glassary Argyll.

Monica

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 09 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks for taking an interest.  On my grandparents (Mary anne MacInnes and David Ferguson) marriage certificate (Oban  Nov 1923) his parents are definitely Duncan and Catherine (ms Campbell)  I know that they were married there so I'm pretty sure this is the right marriage recording.  

On my Grandfather's death cert his parents are noted as Catherine Campbell and John Ferguson but I have decided to dismiss john as a mistake by other family members.....maybe thats where I'm going wrong.  

The family thought that David Ferguson was born in 'Buteshire' however I came to a dead end with that and then found a census link to David Ferguson's birth place in Dunbartonshire, Helensburgh.  

I've decided to stop buying credits on the Scotlands People website for a while - it was becoming a bit addictive and I didn't seem to be getting very far so this watch still remains a mystery!

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 09 17:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I think thats the david that I found too.  I reckon hes my grandad.  The marriage cert gives Glassary Inverary as his usual residence too but still no idea where he was born yet.

Thanks again!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
Jan

I had a look earlier at your previous post (an old one from 2007 www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,268256.0.html)

It is certainly hard to get a lead on a possible birth for David. I'm curious about what your relative wrote on the back of the 1891 census (D.H.S.  16/6/1884) which as you say, could this possibly be David's birth entry.

The names of David's parents came from his 1923 marriage cert. There is no marriage showing to a set of parents with these names until after 1906 (I didn't filter out on SP where in Scotland). So, given we have a possible entry for him in 1891 with his paternal grandmother Catherine, the question I would have at this stage is whether the name of mother on his marriage cert is correct. Have you double checked on his death cert. what it says about his parents?

From Hume's info on a possible 1891 entry for your David:

Address: Ford, Kilmartin, Argyllshire
Catherine Ferguson, f, head, 68, general labourer, Kilchrenan, Argyllshire
John ", m, son, 40, agricultural labourer, Kilmartin, Argyllshire
Christina ", f, g-dau., 18, general labourer's daughter, Kilmartin, Argyllshire
David ", m, g-son, 7, scholar, Buteshire
Catherine ", f, g-dau., 3, -, Lochgilphead, Argyllshire

And then the possible entry in 1901 for David now showing a birth place in Dunbartonshire. I cannot see a David born in Bute for 1901.

What occupation showed for father Duncan on David's marriage cert? I did see a possible entry for a Duncan, son of John and Catherine, in Luss Dunbartonshire in 1891 but married to an Agnes with children younger that David's age. I'm beginning to wonder whether David's birth may have been illegitimate? If his mother's surname was not Campbell and his birth was registered under her surname (back to that R.H.S entry), it may then explain why everyone has been struggling to find his birth either in Dunbartonshire/Argyll/Bute.

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:19 BST (UK) »
These are the possible entries I found for potential father Duncan:

1891:
Duncan Ferguson 31, farm servant, b. Blahan, Argyle Shire
Agnes Ferguson 23, b. Ranton, Stirling Shire
John Ferguson 2 b. Larkhall, Lanark Shire
Mary Ferguson 3 Months b. Helensburgh, Dumbarton Shire
Maggie Forsyth 15, visitor, b. Helensburgh, Dumbarton Shire

Address: Western Baunachre, Luss, Dunbartonshire

1901:
Duncan Ferguson 39, ploughman b. Kilmarton, Argyllshire
Agnes Ferguson 33 b. Banton, Stirlingshire
John Ferguson 12 b. Larkhall, Lanark Shire
Mary Ferguson 10 b. Helensburgh, Dumbartonshire
Thomas Ferguson 8 b. Helensburgh, Dumbartonshire
Archie Ferguson 6 b. Luss
Jessie Ferguson 2 b. Luss
James Ferguson 6 months b. Luss
John Millar 39, father in law, coal miner, b. Camckon, Stirlingshire

Address: Heatheryhaugh, Luss Dunbartonshire

His marriage cert would let you confirm whether he is indeed the son of John Ferguson and Catherine McIntyre.

Not a clue on mother for David at this stage other than what you have on David's marriage entry. I also saw your post regarding the family heirloom relating to a Colin Campbell (1853 in Greenock).

What names did David and Mary Ann use for their children....actually on second thoughts they may still be alive some of them so better not to post! Did David and Mary Ann use any surnames as middle names for their children?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 August 09 18:32 BST (UK) »
I think the horrible winter summer weather we are having is getting to me...just seen you posted the details from David's DC with father showing as John Ferguson. On the original 1891 census entry that you have, does David show only as grandchild or son to John who shows in the household?

It does complicate things when there are differences between the marriage and the death cert in respect of parents' details. A rule of thumb for now is that the marriage entry would have been information that David gave himself whilst death certs were completed with info given by informants that even when they were close family members can be more open to mistakes.

So happens there is an 1879 marriage between a John Ferguson and a Catherine Campbell and in Paisley Renfrewshire of all places (again thinking of your Greenock potential link) but not sure if this is something to follow up or a red herring  :-\

Monica

Offline janmacD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this Monica.  I will check out the renfrewshire marriage of John and Catherine.  Meanwhile what does RHS entry mean? - sorry its prob a daft question! 

You asked about the 1891 census at Kilmartin for David where he was 7.  He is recorded in my copy as grandson.  I presume that means grandson to the Head of the house, Catherine.  The John is recorded as unmarried and I took him to be an uncle, ie Duncan's brother....? In my mind I have David visiting there and the granny being unsure of where he was born recorded him as buteshire.  I find myself making so much of this up in my head with so little to go on!

At the 1923 marriage of David Campbell Ferguson to Mary anne MacInnes, David's father is recorded as a farm labourer. 

Childrens' names include Dugald, Ian, Alexander, David, Catherine (no Johns or duncans!)

I'll go and use up my last credits on SP (the words of an addict, I fear!!)

Thanks again,

Jan