Author Topic: Age at time of Marriage  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
Age at time of Marriage
« on: Saturday 01 August 09 15:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what the age of a legal marriage would have been in 1838 ? I have just sent for my GGGG Grandparents marriage certificate hoping to get a more accurate age for my GGGG Grandmother Jane Keats but for her it says 'minor' and for her husband James Cox it says 'full age' so I am no better off with her age.
My problem has been that the birth for Jane I have is 25th August 1816 as Osmington, Dorset, this I thought was correct as her siblings were born at Owemoigne and that is the place on her marriage cert as place of residence, the two places are very close to each other. On all the census's up to 1881 (place of birth being either Owermoigne or Sutton, close to each other again) her age varies by + or - 3 years but on average it comes out at 1821 ish which also coinsides with her death on the Isle of Wight at 63 in 1884. So my problem is if she was say under 21 at her marriage then 1821 would make her 17 but my date of 1816 would make her 21 coming on 22. This is the only birth I can find for a Jane Keats with fathers name being Richard Keats in the Dorset area unless anyone can find another one, so any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Age at time of Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 09 15:47 BST (UK) »
Legal for a female was 12 - but with parents permisiion required.

'Of full age' means 21 or over - when you didnt need parental permission - not that younger people didnt lie of course  ;)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 09 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

How confident are you of her birthdate? 

The IGI has a "submitted" record of her christening on 25 August 1816 at Osmington; this might not be accurate.

Not all were christened as infants.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy

• RootsChat Member
  • Lily Hendey 1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 09 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have a christening record from the Dorset record centre and also the same from Ancestry. When I went to Dorchester I searched all the parish's mentioned but only found the one record with parents Richard and Mary so that must be correct if I have the right person........
Burke, Mythen - Co Wexford, Ireland
Hendey,Hayward,Stevenson,Wells,Scott,Hutchings, Wren - Hampshire
Cox, Keats, Lyde, Roberts, Bishop, Snelling - Dorset
Dickinson - Bristol
West/Gustar - Isle of Wight
Russell -Salisbury

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that prior to 1858 (I think) there was no legal minimum age formarriage. Between 1858 and 1929 the ages were 12 for a girl and 14 for a boy, both with parents' consent. In my various trees I have several marriages of what today would be considered underage teanagers, and in some cases children!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Her christening date is probably not the date of her birth; age is rarely shown unless the person was an adult.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline psusennes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 11 20:38 GMT (UK) »
12years of age for a Girl & 14years for a boy both with parental consent required. I have a number of these young age marriages in my tree.
My wife is a Keats, G.father born Dorchester c:1870. G.G.father born Dorchester 1838.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 February 11 17:04 GMT (UK) »
12years of age for a Girl & 14years for a boy both with parental consent required. I have a number of these young age marriages in my tree.
My wife is a Keats, G.father born Dorchester c:1870. G.G.father born Dorchester 1838.

I am sure that only became law around 1858. Maybe it was a case of formalising custom and practice?I have several very early marriages in my trees, during the 19th century most of those marrying in my trees were under 20. A notable exception my paternal grandfather 66 at least, and his older brother who was around 60 when he married for the first and only time. His last and 5th child was born shortly after his death 7 years later.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)