Author Topic: GAWSWORTH  (Read 9007 times)

Offline Pat13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: GAWSWORTH
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 April 11 19:08 BST (UK) »
Oxfordshire, right. I thought I may be telling you things that you were able to get to easier than I can.
Have you done any work on Joseph's second wife? I gather her maiden name was Clarke but don't know if she was a widow when she married Joseph or not. The only two marriages I can find are to a Mary Ann Webster 1849 and a Mary Ann Worthington 1848 but as they are both fairly common names it has been impossible to pinpoint either of those two women in 1841.
He was living in Broken Cross in 1841 but in Gawsworth Gardens by 1851 so things must have improved in that period....was this his second marriage or not. He may have lived in a large house in 1841, no way of tellingI was always rather peeved that the only person in the Leah family who seemed to have any assets didn't ensure the assets stayed in the family and when Mary Ann died she left everything to her own family, no mention of any Leahs in her will. However if it was her money in the first place then that would exonerate her a little!

Offline Birtle

• RootsChat Senior
  • A Cobbold-Nunn wedding?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 April 11 21:05 BST (UK) »
Yeah, Oxfordshire's not at all handy for Cheshire or - for that matter - any of my other ancestors' stomping grounds!
Like you I dither between Webster and Worthington, though it seems to me significant from the tithe map apportionments  that a Mary Webster is occupying the GG plot... But, other than drawing a blank in the 1841 census,  I hadn't got any further along that track.
POSTSCRIPT Yes, her will identifies her brother as a Clarke, and LancsBMD indicates that a Joseph Leah m. Mary Webster/Clarke in 1849. Though if she was a widow...?

Offline marychap

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm writing a book about the family of Chinese American author Edith Eaton (Sui Sin Far) and her grandfather Edward Eaton and his wife Ellen McDonnell and her father Edward Jr and his siblings are “visitors” at Gawsworth Cottage (in the 1851 census). Others on the census are Joseph Leah 58 farmer, wife Mary Ann Leah 42 and daughter. I think THEY live at Gawsworth Farm and the Eatons are listed as living at "Gawsworth Cottage" or "Gawsworth Gardens"...Have you discovered more about them since you last posted?