Author Topic: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's  (Read 73893 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's
« on: Sunday 02 August 09 18:13 BST (UK) »
 ;) I have a shed load. I use them for stitching in shots of churches where people were married. Things like that. There's really no telling just what I do have on here. Now I've found this board, I thought I'd extend the offer to freely send anyone else here jpg's which may be of use to them.

They've been sourced from just about every and anywhere a shot existed. I didn't do it. I bought them. Think I might possibly have a shot ye could use to dress up ye own FT site? By all means give me a shout. I'll see what I can do.

Meanwhile; Should anyone have a picture of Portsmouth Registry Office ~ Without the happy couple and their entourage blocking up the steps ~ I'd be eternally grateful for a copy. I could really use that shot.

Sadly, of course; It's now a pub and quite useless  :(
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Potter

• RootsChat Extra
  • You can contact me via my website
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 09 02:59 BST (UK) »
Could this be what you are looking for?

Moderator comment: sorry but the image appears to be subject to copyright.  Please see link below to view the photo, which anyone may do.
FredLeighton; Hutchins; Bond; Dobbs; Colmer; Jacob; Padfield; Allen; Churchill; Bennett; Boast; Boyens Starkey; Calvert; <br> Hoskins; Sargent; Lightermen & Watermen on the River Thames; Greenwich/Charlton; <br> Potter; Kendall; Holmes; Bright; Walker; Penny; Daniels; Buck; Rumble; Hind/s & Burt; Bobbins; Harding; Henderson, Sault; Juden;

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 09 03:50 BST (UK) »
 :( Potter; Love ye to bits for the thought, but that's the 'New' Registers. (Chills my blood, even today, to see that infernal place again and remember what I let myself in for, inside there!  ;D)

No, as my fading memory of 'dear' Portsmouth tells me, the place I always knew ~ as did half my ancestors ~ was something like back out the gate. Turn left. Up the road to the round about. Left there. Along that four lane road and it was up on the corner, that side. Somewhere south westish of the Guildhall square,I think  ??? It's a studenty type pub now anyway. Probably called bloody " Reggies " or something!  ::) Seen shots of it now. Completely worthless.

Anyway, that really Is a blinding shot of the (new) place! May I nick it and store it away for future use, please? There'll be more of my folks yet to go in there and up Those stairs. That one can illustrate the coming generations road to .....  :-X

Offline Potter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 09 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hello SteveG
Aw... I thought it was pretty easy to find... which is why I am writing again!
As far as I'm concerned you can use it, but I did not take that photo, so you had better check it is ok to use it.
I got it from Drumaboy on the Flickr website here...
http://www.rootschat.com/links/06wv/

Google found 64 photos matching Portsmouth Registry Office on that site! Click "search" above to see!
You may find one of the old Registry Office among them... I've never been to Portsmouth, so I haven't got a clue what it looks like!
Sorry!
FredLeighton; Hutchins; Bond; Dobbs; Colmer; Jacob; Padfield; Allen; Churchill; Bennett; Boast; Boyens Starkey; Calvert; <br> Hoskins; Sargent; Lightermen & Watermen on the River Thames; Greenwich/Charlton; <br> Potter; Kendall; Holmes; Bright; Walker; Penny; Daniels; Buck; Rumble; Hind/s & Burt; Bobbins; Harding; Henderson, Sault; Juden;

Offline Potter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 09 08:17 BST (UK) »
This is probably it... also from Drumaboy at Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/drumaboy/2234192731/in/set-517274/

Offline genuisscuffy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 September 09 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I wondered if you had a picture of St. Bartholomews of Southsea?? It was bombed in the war and really difficult to find? My Grandmother was christened there.  I live just outside Portsmouth in Havant.  Thanks
Fielder (Portsmouth,Hants/Pembroke Dock, Wales)
Montague (Southsea, Hants)
Force (Portchester, Hants)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 September 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
 Potter; Sorry. I somehow appear to have missed ye post, back then  :-[

Either way, it looks like hindsight rules. All the pictures of the PRO are now of what it's become. That infernal 'pub'.

Let this serve as a lesson to us all, eh? Nip down to ye local Registrars, next Sunday. Get a shot of where ever the 'happy couple' normally stand for the photo shoot.  That one photo could grace generations of ye own family in years to come and for the years now gone.

I appreciate ye sterling efforts though. Thanks ;)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 September 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
Genuisscuffy .....  ;D How delighted am I to be able to sort you out?!

Please PM me an e mail addy. I'll have a shot of (Pre War) St. Bart's of Southsea in the return!

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Yarrrrrr

By any remote chance can you find a picture of "Ashley Villas", Southsea ( 1880's). Oh ... and the grave in "f-south wall" Highland Road cemetery of my dear g-g-grandma before a bomb fell on her final resting place!!!!

Am I asking for miracles here , lol

Gem x
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.