Author Topic: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's  (Read 74060 times)

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
Re: Portsmouth, Hampshire ~ Photo's
« Reply #153 on: Saturday 04 June 16 18:52 BST (UK) »
I'm so relieved I have St James' too! They'll be in ye email by now  ;)

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline misstinkerbell77

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Saturday 04 June 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Thank you so much, you're a superstar!

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Thursday 09 June 16 01:15 BST (UK) »
Is there any chance of finding photos of 49 St George's Square, Portsea please?  My ancestors moved from there to London in 1821 and there was a list of furniture and effects for sale published in the local paper at the time. It seems to have been a substantial house with bow window and I imagine similar to Pickwick House that is on the North west side of the square today. However the advertisement for sale of the property mentions an adjoining property in Britain Street so I guess no. 49 would have been on the south eastern side.
Yours hopefully, Heather  :)
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 09 June 16 02:16 BST (UK) »
 :( Sorry, Heather. As I've pointed out many times in this thread; Coming up with numbers, even particular streets, is 99.9% impossible. So many of my images seem to hail from the days when a man would set up a heavy, wooden box camera on a tripod and expose a sheet of glass. Why would anyone do that, moving through Portsmouth, door to door?

Factor in the innate propensity for the good people of Portsmouth to emerge from their photographed homes, calling, " Oy! Whass yor f**king game?! ", and I wouldn't like to try it now either  :-\

No. I do have the one image of St Georges Square. It features people in what I'd take to be Victorian era garb. Posh as hell back then, eh?

Absolutely no clue as to which aspect it portrays though. There's a hotel, on the left. What looks like possibly a church, or something, to the right background.  In Sun St, it seems?

From ye post, it sounds as if ye in Portsmouth now? My Great Gran ~ that's her in my avatar ~ breathed her last in Sun St. As did her daughter, my Great Aunt Bec. Council flat though. Not a big, posh place.  I believe that's next to SGS?  Not been there myself in some, pushing forty years now. 

Ye more than welcome to this shot. If ye feel it may lend a better feeling for those times. PM me an addy, if so.

I can also, doubtless, dig out plenty of other 'atmospheric' shots of the general area, in bygone times.

Sorry I can't pin point the individual property.

Have ye ever read " The Poacher Joseph Rushbrook " ? It's available free, on line. Kindle job. Delightful old period drama. The sort of thing they don't write anymore.

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Thursday 09 June 16 07:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Steve, I thought it was a long shot but worth asking :)  I'd love to see the photo you mention please so will pm my addy.  I'm from Reading but have spent much time in Google maps wandering around the St Georges Square area.

Also thanks for the book recommendation, I'll seek it out  :)
Kind regards, Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline Ginettek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Friday 24 August 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
If not mate then we'll just keep on with the emails and maybe put up anything they may be of interest to anyone on here..i've loads of stories/memories of my youth in and around Kingston Crescent/Stamshaw/Rudmore areas,maybe if we check the old posts on Portsmouth we may be able to solve a few posts between us..i presume you got my emails today describing the Mills Road conundrum..if my mother is up that way i'll get her to take an up to date photo of the place..maybe jog your memory..till next email.

Steve

We lived at 25a and 25b Kingston Crescent, next to Lily’s Woodward. There was a board outside our house Madame Lene, my mother was a tailor.

I heard that the Woodward was the big house and that the person who owned that built our twin houses for his daughter.

Spriggings was the dentist a lovely house with wide stairs leading up to the back door and two lions sat on the top of bottom pillars like the guildhall. The house past the Woodward still had the servants bells in when they pulled it down to build that dreadful office block. The tree from my Mothers front garden is still there.

It was a lovely road, individual houses and such a shame they were pulled down. My favourite house. 3 storeys plus a double basement, nice marble fireplaces.

Ginette

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Friday 24 August 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Whoah!!! Fantastic memories, Ginette! Thanks for sharing  :)

Offline Ginettek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Friday 24 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
You are welcome. I remember our houses had storm doors and that lovely colour leaded glass in the main door. We must have pictures somewhere. If I find any I shall post them.

Offline ravenseft

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Thursday 04 November 21 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Steve - not sure if you're still active on this forum.

Would you have any photos of Silver Street, Southsea (off Kings Rd) or Lower Forbury Road (before the demolitions from the 60s onwards)?

By the way, are you a relative of Ann Burge (b. c1841 in Somerset, d. 1912 in Portsmouth) who married Edward Saunders and is shown in the 1911 census in Copper Street, Southsea?