Author Topic: Reed-Cornwall to Australia which ship??  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
Reed-Cornwall to Australia which ship??
« on: Monday 03 August 09 00:10 BST (UK) »
I am biting the bullet here and asking for help.

I am searching for the arrival of two brothers from Cornwall to Australia.

My GG Grandfather John Reed and wife Elizabeth (nee Wade)
Married Cornwall April 1849
Wife at Parents place 1851
First child born NSW 1853

Est of arrival 1851-1853

His brother
Richard Reed and Wife Emma (nee Hosking) and son Joseph(born Cornwal)1847
second  child born in NSW 1848 etc

Est of arrival 1847-1848

DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline REED Cornwall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reed-Cornwall to Australia which ship??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 October 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Floozy, I'm researching the same question but sadly I'm having no luck either and I'd love some help!

Richard Reed was my paternal GG Grandfather. His son Joseph Hosking Reed was my great grandfather, born in Cornwall November 1846. My research found his next sibling (Elizabeth) born in Sofala NSW in June 1852, but you mention one in 1848 - I'd love this info please?

Emma (Hosking) Reed's death certificate noted she'd lived in New Zealand and NSW so their immigration may have been to NZ first - help!

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you - Pam

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 October 13 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam, I have done further research since this post. I will look at my research on the weekend and  send. you a Pm if you would like me to send you a PDF I would be happy to do so. Susan
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.

Offline REED Cornwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 October 13 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan, thanks for the really quick reply :)  sorry if this is a dumb question, but what's a Pm? A Pdf is fine though, so whatever is easiest. Thanks again, can't wait. . . . . .  Pam

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 October 13 04:03 BST (UK) »
PM is a private message I will send you my email via pm as we are not allowed to put emails on chat pages. Regards Susan

Offline coralie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 July 14 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi  - I am also a descendant of Richard Reed.  I have also been puzzling over the two birth entries in NSW for Elizabeth Ann Reed.  I have the death cert of Elizabeth Ann Matsen (nee Reed) born in NSW in 1852 but can't find any info on what happened to the Elizabeth Ann born in 1848.  I am assuming she died and they gave their next girl her name but can't find death cert.  This also happens with Richard born in Bathurst in 1850 as they have a Richard born in 1855.  Very puzzling, so if you can shed any light I would be very greatful. 

I have also been trying to track Richard and Emma's immigration to no avail.  I always thought they came out to Aus with brother John and his wife due to an ancestry chat site I saw but from your info that appears to be not the case.  Because the first Elizabeth Ann was born in Molong I suspect that Richard and Emma went to Copper Hill, Richard being a copper miner.  They may even have come out to Aus with Capt. Clymo.  He was the manager of the mine 1848-1850, he came from Cornwall with a no of Cornishmen under a one year contract to the Molong Mining Co.  They arrived in Sydney on 15.9.1848 by the ship Elphinstone according to goldencross.com.  I have found no records for this.  The next child, Richard, is born in Bathurst and the one after is born in Sofala, obviously following the gold trail.

Anyway any info would be great.  Thanks Coralie

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 05:11 BST (UK) »
Apart from the Birth records on the NSW  bmd I have not found the deaths on these children and Im hoping maybe Richard ( no 1) death may be recorded in the Victorian bmd. The information I have is from another distant cousin. I haven't seen the shipping records yet. But I believe on Emma's  death cert  children are listed.Am yet to site the death cert. And I also believe they went to NZ first before arriving in Sydney.  I was able to find where Emma came from prior to marrying Richard she lived with her family not far from Richards brother Joseph and his wife Elizabeth Symonds in Cornwall. In the 1841 census.

Offline coralie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Floozy,  Thanks for that.  I think have the census records for Emma too.  Her father and brother appear to be blacksmiths and her parents and some of family stayed in Cornwall at least till 1861 census.  She must have met Richard through living in same neighbourhood as his brother and family.  I have Emma Bawden/Reed/Hosking's death certificate which lists 7 surviving children (one with husband she married after Richard died in mining accident) and one deceased (Mary Hannah).  No mention of a deceased Elizabeth and deceased Richard (only the surviving of these names).  I know another lady mentioned the possiblility that they went to NZ first but on cert. it lists in order of NSW, NZ, and then Vic.  As there is a gap between 1852 (birth of 2nd Eliz) and 1855 the birth of next child in Vic, I have a feeling that they may have gone to NZ inbetween NSW & Vic, but I can't be sure.  Elizabeth (1) most likely died in NSW before the 2nd Eliz was named but Richard (1) may have died in NZ or Vic.  I will keep digging and let you know if I find anything.  So many questions, why did they come to Aus before gold had even been discovered, most likely for the copper mining and now the question of whether they went to NSW or NZ first.  Very brave people especially the women to endure the sort of hardships they must have put up with.  Do you know if John or his wife's death cert show a trip to NZ after they came out in 1851-1853??  Sorry so many question running round in my mind.   Anyway as I said I will let you know what I find.  Regards Coralie

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
Did Emma have a Mary Hannah with her second husband ???  I dont have her.

My GG grandfather John Reed had a Mary Hannah who married Henry Pitcher. She died very young possibly child birth.

GG grandfather John Reed had 2 more children with his second wife Jane Nichols.  Charlotte (no 2) and Ellen  who both died at young ages  I had the details on another computer but that died.  Need to find the records again.

I am decended from John Reed and Elizabeth Wade  his son William Henry who married Emma Greasley, their son Clive Vincent  who married Vera May Willey-Abbott where my much adored grandparents and my dear father was Keith Noel Reed who passed away in 2011.

Ok I will look at the NZ part to for deaths maybe someone from NZ maybe able to help us here.

regards Susan ( I was born a Reed)  unfortunately no males siblings to keep name going my family. I have a sister.

Yes Elizabeth Reed nee Wade was with her parents in 1851  dont know exactly where John was on the night.

WADE       Joseph       Head       M       M       65       Ag Lab        Cornwall - Gerrans           
        WADE       Hannah       Wife       M       F       67               Cornwall - Veryan           
        REED       Elizabeth       Daugh       M       F       23       Miner's Wife        Cornwall - Philleigh