Author Topic: Reed-Cornwall to Australia which ship??  (Read 7741 times)

Offline coralie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reed-Cornwall to Australia which ship??
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 14:28 BST (UK) »
Yep looks like Emma had a Mary Hannah between William Henry (b 1864) and Edith with 2nd husband.  She was born in 1866 so born before her father Richard was killed in mining accident in 1867.  On the BMD Vic site it shows her name as Mary Anne though. 

I am descended on the Reed side through Richard, Joseph Hosking, Joseph and then my grandfather Percy Reed.  Sorry to hear you have recently lost your father, my mother passed away when I was quite young, her name was Elizabeth Ann, which seemed to be a strong naming tradition for the Reed girls.  The Reed name continues through her brother John's line.

Its nice to have the info on the extended Reed family.  If your ancestors came out between 1851 and 1853 they probably got lured here by Richard's promises of gold as that would have been smack bang in the gold rush.  I wish we had diaries etc to fill in the details of their lives, it would be fascinating.  I started looking at govt gazettes and found an entry for registration of Ballaarat Quartz Mining Co in 1863 at a place called New Years Reef Steiglitz.  It had John Reed and Richard Reed as shareholders and was witnessed by a Joseph Reed.  Have you managed to find much info further back?  I have gone as far back as Nicholas Reed and Catherine Oppy but other researchers seem to have gone way back.  One I found on ancestry claims to go back to Alfred the Shrewd (Alfred the Great) but I don't know how accurate their research was, lol.  We could be descended from royalty!!!!

Anyway one day I will get in to Mitchell Library and solve the puzzle of the shipping dates.

Take care Susan,  Coralie

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 October 17 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi their Pam and Coralie, did you know that Joseph  Hosking Reed was up on a charge for stealing ?
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline REED Cornwall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 October 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
No I didn't! Please tell me more Sue!

Offline coralie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear!  What did he steal I wonder?  In contrast I am just looking at an article in Bendigo Weekly.com.au about his son Joseph (b Stawell 1875), a local business man and being a pillar of society,lol. 

Do we know anything more about Richard and Emma's time in New Zealand?  I found some shipping records for a group of miners under the name of Molong Company coming to NSW on 7 Jul 1848 on the Elphinstone.  Unfortunately as they were in steerage it doesn't show names, only lists 15 miners, 7 women and 12 children as belonging to this group heading for Molong NSW (presumably the copper mine there).  I will contact the Molong Historical Society as they may have details of employees of the Molong Copper Mining co.

The search continues.....

Coralie

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Be back soon when I find trove info girls
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
 EMBEZZLEMENT. ', ... ,'
Joseph Reed pleaded Guilty to having taken from
tho store of his employer, Robert Boardman, store
keeper, Steiglitz, a quantity of drapery, and con
veyed the same to the dwelling of his father,
Richard Reed , at New Year's Reef, Steiglitz ? : ;
Witnesses were examined to prove the previous
good character of the prisoner, and he was sentenced
to six months' imprisonment, without hard labor,
for the first offence, and three months for the
second.
RECEIVING STOLEN PROPERTY.
Richard Reed was then placed in the dock charged
with having received from . his son the property
stolen from Mr Boardman, with a guilty know
ledge.
Prisoner pleaded Not Guilty, and was defended
I by Mr Aspinall.
Robert Boardman identified the property pro
i duced in court as his, discovered by himself and
constable Flahey in the house of the prisoner.
Constable Flahey deposed that, on searching the
Fix this text
box in which the goods were packed, the prisoner
: stated that he had purchased them in Ballaarat. ;
The witness underwent a long cross-examination
: by Mr Aspinall, with the object of proving that it
was only a portion of the goods produced, not identi
fied by Boardman as his, in the course of wbieh
'his own evidence was a good deal shaken, and Mr
Aspinall wound up by a powerful address to the
jury, who returned a verdict of not guilty.

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
No more on shipping records Coralie haven't been searching

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Was wondering how are Coralie and Pam related.  I'm John Reeds GG Grandaughter but you two decend from Richard.

Coralie if you would like to add me to facebook very happy to have you on board  look for me as Floozy Toosie

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Since we decend from the same family have you researched the Rogers family and the Wade family attached to our ancestors? Oh I forgot Oates and Destow family's and a few other descendants from those family's

And would you be happy to fill in the blanks on decendants. I am more than happy to fill you in on all this plus photos of my family tree