Author Topic: Thomas ARMSTRONG from Fermanagh Ireland  (Read 7539 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas ARMSTRONG from Fermanagh Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 08:59 BST (UK) »
There are 217 Armstrongs on the database for Monaro Pioneers, including 10 Thomas Armstrongs.  Some entries have good bio details and some are very sketchy but worth a look.  Had a quick glance and I don't think your Thomas is there.
http://www.monaropioneers.com/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 09:10 BST (UK) »
Electoral roll (I only have access to these two dates)

Arthur Charles Armstrong, labourer, Delegate
Rebecca ARMSTRONG, home duties, Saucy Creek, Bombala
Daisy Agnes Jessie, William James,  and Bridget Catherine Armstrong all at Delegate, and Mary Eliza at Tombong.

Same in 1936 except no mention of Arthur

Death from NSW BMD site
12489/1914  Thomas ARMSTRONG, father Robert, mother Catherine, registered  BOMBALA   

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:04 BST (UK) »
I know from my previous work that there seem to be the proverbial "tons" of Thomas Armstrongs from Ireland to Australia. That has been part of the issue. But it is also evident that names of parents become foggy. I am thinking this Robert / Catherine could well be the one, as everything else seems to fit  In another place they thought it was Thomas / Catherine.

I wasn't sure how far into the interior his property may have been, but with this information on the train to Cooma, they must have lived at Bombala, or at least close by.

Thanks so much for all of your help.  Let me know if you stumble over anything else, but just this has been a God send.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Now I question it (Robert/Catherine) if there were a number of childrens deaths in the area and they are the parents.
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
A new thought.  Perhaps Thomas, who would have been in his early 60s in late 1890s, had sold off and moved to his daughter's home (Mary) in Bombala.  I don't know if or how that might change the records.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 22:13 BST (UK) »
Two deaths  to me  seem a possibility

regno 16118/1919 
ARMSTRONG  THOMAS  aged 9O YRS  at ADELONG     

right age by  the death

the  other death  has  right parents  but  you say  he was still alive  then
   reg no 1952/1895 
ARMSTRONG  THOMAS 
father WILLIAM  mother   KATE  at MENINDIE 

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 08 August 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
Is there a way of viewing transcripts online before actually ordering a hard copy?
I have dozens of potential registration numbers for births, deaths and marriages, while only a few might be actual "hits".  Anyway around the issue short of spending tons of money? I don't want to deprive transcriptors their daily bread either.  I want to find my family...but the are turning into an potentially expensive little lot.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
No, not at all.

The transcription agents offer a service for around $9 to look at the information and check or verify  if  the registration might be "yours"

I appreciate how frustrating  this  can be  with such a common name and  there being several in  the area you are looking for.

Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 February 11 22:59 GMT (UK) »
I stepped away from this search for awhile but perhaps I need to thank all of you who stepped forward with suggestions, information, and research.  In trying to find the identity of Thomas Armstrong it has been solved as the Thomas Armstrong of Saucy Creek, Bombala, NSW.  He married Annabelle McKenzie in Sydney and located soon after to Bombala, where he died in 1914.  So one mystery down.  Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond, research, and help. Now my hope is to someday find one of his descendants but for now I am content.

Thank you

Kathy