Author Topic: Looking for Laidlaws - Berwick/Sanquhar  (Read 14077 times)

Offline suzywong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Laidlaws - Berwick/Sanquhar
« on: Monday 03 August 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hello,  this is the first time I've started a topic thread, so hope I get it right!  :D

I've traced my direct paternal tree back to David Laidlaw (or Laidley) of South Mains Farm, Sanquhar, born c 1770.  This strand of Laidlaws appears to have spread from Sanquhar, to Lanarkshire, Liverpool and as far as Canada.  However I have not found a connection to the Laidlaws of Roxburgh / Berwickshire.   This may sound odd - but I was expecting there to be one.

Some years ago I was shown a picture of Piper Daniel Logan Laidlaw (VC), born in Berwick and my father is the drawn image of him - with the exception of the waxed moustache!

Any information, pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Laidlaws - Berwick/Sanquhar
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzywong

Welcome to Rootschat   ;D

Here is a photo of Daniel Logan LAIDLAW, Piper, VC from his Finda-Grave memorial
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10332474
Born: 25 Jul 1875 , Little Swinton Berwickshire
Died  2 Jun  1950  at Shoresdean, near Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland and buried Norham, Northumberland and buried there

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
Suzy The laidlaws are prolific in and around the Ettrick and Yarrow valleys not too far from Dumfriesshire .I have just completed Yarrow churchyard and there is one David Laidlaw who died Sandbed 3rd May 1820 aged 87yrs and Helen Thomson his spouse who died at Dodhead  Sept 1793 aged 50yrs  and two children Janet and WSilliam who died in youth,.
There are loads of Laidlaws but thats the only one listed in Ettrick Kirkyard,St Marys,and Yarrow or Kirkhope. With first names running in scotish families the above could be related.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline daylight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi SuzyW,
I have been researching the descendants of David Laidlaw/ Laidley and Isabella Broadfoot (Bell Bradfute) for many years and have traced all the lines with the possible exception of sons Thomas and David and have never found a connection to Liverpool in England. I know the Laidley/ laidlaws were in Australia, Canada and USA as well as the family who remained in Scotland from whom I am descended but I have never found a Liverpool family. The known children were James 1793 (went to Glasgow) George 1795 (went to Northampton Mass USA after Glasgow)  William 1798 (my ancestor went to Ayrshire Scotland ) Robert 1800 lived in Old Monkland, Scotland (his first son went to Australia) Margaret 1804 (went to Ontario Canada) Alexander 1807 died young. David (went to Glasgow then MAYBE Ontario, Canada).  John 1812 (went to Ontario Canada) Alexander 1815 (went to Australia returned to Glasgow) . Sarah 1817 (went to Montreal Canada then to Northampton Mass USA) and finally Thomas 1820 (whom I think went to Ontario, Canada?). Let me know what you have on Liverpool and I can help verify it. If you would like the family history I can send you a gedcom. All the best Cousin Robbie

Offline daylight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Suzywong,
Here is a photo of David Laidley's grandson David. Does he look like your father? Robbie

Offline suzywong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Ha - brilliant Yes he does! I must get a digital photo of my dad and grandad and post it.

Can you mail a copy? Any more info?

Offline daylight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 December 10 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzywong,
I need your email address. Here is mine (sub @ for at)  (*)
The photo is up for sale on the web so if you fancy the original its something like $30. On the back it says "David Laidley".    Veteran of Civil War.
I downloaded from the website. I also have a photo of another of the grandkids ie Maggie Laidlaw dau of William taken in 1920.
Where do you fit in?
Is the Liverpool connection a more recent connection??
Cheers Robbie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 December 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi suzywong,
my grandfather was Robert Laidlaw born 1908 in Edinburgh his father was not a true Laidlaw, but his grandfather was.  Roberts grandfather was William Laidlaw and his father was Charles William.  William and his adopted son John were cab drivers in and around Leith and Edinburgh.  John died aged 54 from sleep apnia from ww1.  Looking at the photo there is no likeness to my grandfather as far as I can see, so I do not think that there would be a direct connection, but if you send me your email address by way of a pm I can send you an invite to my laidlaw tree on ancestry and also send you a photo of him.
he gave me away at my wedding and then died before we started our business which I am sure he would have been proud of.
Marjorie Laidlaw that was.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline SteveL2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi suzywong

I was interested to read your message. My ggg...grandfather was William Laidlaw b approx 1776-1780, married Hannah Stables.
The earliest record I have for him is the 1841 census, living in Liverpool but born in Scotland (no further location clues than that)
Parents of William are unknown. Any connection?