Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 78838 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
£1,200 from 1850 money would be worth £70,236.00 today  :o

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Flipping nora ! I think I'd have been chucking oranges too !

Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
This looks to be 'Godfather Commissioner Evans' I think, from the refs I have seen in respect of his first name, in 1851: Class: HO107; Piece: 1700; Folio: 517  Other than something on a christening entry, not sure how this can be verified.

Monica 

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 23:08 BST (UK) »
where do i put those ref numbers Monica ??

I've just spent ages typing out this report so you better read it !!! ;D
its the 1848 one

A valuable reversionary Interest- Distressing Case
JB lloyd was charged on thursday with sending threatening letters and menaces trying to obtain from a Mr Fox the sum of £20 .
Mr Lloyd read a statement in defense of his conduct.At the decease of his mother he was to be entitled to the reversionary interest of £1,200 of which he had been plundered by a forgery. Falling into difficulties and requiring money he applied to his guardian and it was with the utmost astonishment he was told by that person that it had been disposed of to a Mr Collins.
He called upon Mr Fox and having seen the deed at once declared his signature to be a forgery.
However an offer was made of £100 if he would sign a 2nd document confirming the first, which at last he consented to do as he could not bear to see his wife and children starving.
He was paid in bills but a part of them had not been taken up and he was now in the utmost distress.
Mr Fox need not fear the slightest violence at his hands, as he had no intention of injuring anyone.
all he was most anxious to do was to either obtain any kind of a situation or get a little money that he might set up in some small business, and thus be enabled to preserve his family from starvation.
Alderman Johnson said that the document produced, being legal ones, they could take no notice of them,
but it was thier duty to see that peace was preserved, and therefore he must find good bail for his future behaviour.
Mr Lloyd;I cannot find bail;but I pledge you my word of honour that I will not injure a mortal man breathing,
Alderman Johnson:I will do this, I will take your word as you have pledged it and hope that your feelings, which , for a personof your education, must be most acute, will be softened down in a few days and produce a calmer state of mind.
In the meantime, the warrent will be suspended for one month.
Alderman Johnson added, that if he could be of any service to Mr Lloyd in any way he would be glad,
Mr Lloyd said if he could even get a porters situation of 14s or 15s per week he should feel proud and happy to take it, and he would do his duty with the utmost diligence-
Alderman Johnson said , that not being in business he could not give him one of any kind; if he had been , Mr Lloyd should be at once have it. However, if he could be of service  to him in the shape of doing anything for the benefit of himself and family, he (Ald.J) would do all in his power to forward his views.
It was stated that the prisoner and his family were living in a back room, with scarcely any furniture; but the wife and children, and in fact everything were as neat and clean as possible.
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
The one b. 1807 St. Clements Worcester does seem to have lived; he is in the St. John Hill workhouse in 1871 (Wandsworth and Clapham Union, located in Battersea.  Aged 63, a baker, married.
(There is a John Lloyd, no middle name, d. 1877 aged 70 in Wandsworth district on freebmd)

Back to the Josiah Wilson link:
In 1859 a Louisa, second daughter of the late James Collins, died at the house of her brother in law, Josiah Wilson, of Stamford Hill.

Sure enough, there is also a marriage in 1802 for Benjamin Lloyd and Elizabeth Collins at St. Michael, Worcester.

Also look at The Times, Saturday, Nov 11, 1837; pg. 4; Issue 16571;
Collins (Charles Frederick Collins, youngest son of James) v. Wilson (presumably Josiah?)
There seems to have been some wrangling over this will from the beginning.

The details can be found in the Law Report of 1838 at http://books.google.com

The seven children were: James, Henry, Mary Anne, Louisa, Eliza, Amelia, and Charles Frederick; but Eliza is listed in 1831 as "Eliza Collins" while Amelia is listed under her married name, so I'm not convinced she's the same as the Elizabeth who married in 1802 (or indeed that the 1802 marriage is the right oe).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
jorose, sorry I haven't read your post yet, I just want to past this news report i've spent another age typing ,  ;D

Outrage on the Commissioner-
Between 12 and 1 o'clock a great sensation was created in the court, in consequence of an extraordinary outrage by a respectably dressed man, who went into the court, and almost imediatley uttered some words in an incoherent manner, and did instantly threw 2 oranges at his honour,but  fortunatly, did not do any injury.
The man was at once secured and taken before Alderman Copeland at Guildhall, charged with assulting MrCommissioner Evans.
Mr Robert Johnson deposed that he was usher to the commissioner, and that about half past twelve he saw the prisoner (John Ballard Lloyd) in the body of the court, and saw him throw 2 oranges at the commissioner.
Prisoner had frequently written threatning letters to the commissioner attempting to extort money.
The messenger of the court corroborated the statement of Mr Johnson.
Mr Commissioner Evans said the oranges fell by his side. He could not say wether they touched him or no.He was godfather to the prisoner, and had known his parents well. The prisoner then produced a written statement, which he began to read, but as it contained a string of libellious expressions upon the commissioners character, his worship refused to hear it.
Alderman Copeland said he found , upon referring to the record, that it was not the first time the prisoner had beenbrought up for  an assult of the same description.
He called upon him to find 2 sureties of £100 each, and himself £200,  to keep the peace for 12 months.
Prisoner; You may as well ask the stones in the road to find bail, as ask me attempt to get it; but (pointing to Commissioner Evans) let the blood of my children rest upon that mans head .

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
sorry jorose, you have lost me now ???
 and the link just shows a page of books?
is it something to do with monicas ref numbers because I have no idea how to look them up  ;D

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 09:45 BST (UK) »
The reference numbers for looking up entries on the censuses, regarding the one I posted for 1851:

HO107; Piece: 1700; Folio: 517; Page: 16

If you go to the general search screen for the 1851 census. Below the section for 'Family Members', there is a section headed up 'Census'. Below that are some boxes:

HO107 [refers to 1851 census]   Piece [input 1700]   Folio [input 517]   Page [input 16]

This will take you to the entry for a Joshua Evans, 69, b. Dublin Ireland - Commissioner of Bankruptcy

Monica  :)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 10:04 BST (UK) »
Joshua Evans ( the godfather) was a practising barrister before he was appointed Commissioner in Bankruptcy. He died in 1864.

The Liverpool Mercury of February 11 1820 has a law report from the Court of Kings Bench (concerning John Cam Hobhouse) in which Mr Joshua Evans, formerly of Liverpool moves a writ of habeas corpus.

This places Joshua Evans in Liverpool before 1820 - and ties in nicely with that 1819 baptism record for John Ballard Lloyd.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk