Author Topic: FREEMAN in Gourdon & Johnshaven  (Read 16720 times)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
FREEMAN in Gourdon & Johnshaven
« on: Tuesday 04 August 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
I'm totally new to this forum and I've been browsing the Kincardineshire threads.  Johnshaven, Benholm and the whole coastal strip from St Cyrus to Bervie marks out the playground of my youth.
I'm currently researching my maternal family tree. I'm the eldest son of Mary Freeman, youngest daughter of Walter FREEMAN & Isabella ADAM of Johnshaven who married 27:8:1898.  With the help of a cousin I have traced my Freeman line back to John FREEMAN m. Isobel JEAMIE 1:4:1681.
I have a brickwall I would like to get over regarding Alexander FREEMAN b. 1691 baptised BERVIE 30:8:1691.  Between 1713 and 1728 he fathered six children. Bervie OPR lists him as FISHER in GOURDON.  The Clerk registering the Bervie baptisms never once recorded the name of the mother.
Searching for a marriage in Scotlandspeople from Kinneff to St Cyrus shows only one marriage, Alexander m. Elspet CORMAK in Kinneff & Caterline in 1725 which is too late for all but the last child born 1728.
Hoping for an MI in either Benholm or Bervie that far back is rather a vain hope I think.  Some of you on this Kincardine forum seem to have access to sources I have never come across so far.
Any suggestions on how I can reslove my puzzle?
Thanks in in advance.
Sandy P.
PS Happy to share any of my FREEMAN data.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FREEMAN in GOURDON & JOHNSHAVEN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 September 09 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry I can't help with your current post but I do have an ELSPET FREEMAN marr.to my ROBERT RITCHIE(1c4r) in 1861 Parish of Benholm.Robert's parents JOHN RITCHIE and ISABELLLA (Bell) MCBAY OF Miltonhaven and Johnshaven.
I look forward to hearing from you
Regards
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 September 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for looking at my query and responding. 
As I said I'm new to this forum and have noticed that there is a lot of looking at Posts but not too much responding to them.

I've checked and I don't have your Elspet FREEMAN - Robert RITCHIE or John RITCHIE - Isabella (aka Bell) McBAY in my family line so far.

Milton Haven (now mostly a caravan site) is an area I explored a lot in my youth.  Never found the remains of the village that was washed away in the storm that drove the inhabitants north to their relatives in Johnshaven.

Always happy to exchange  data share information about the playground of my youth.

Regarding Freeman and associated families, I have this which may be of interest.
Walter FREEMAN married Elizabeth CRIGGIE 
5th December 1834 in Bervie
They had eight children one was:
Christian CRIGGIE FREEMAN  b. 11th June 1843  and she married
David RITCHIE 21st December 1866
That is the only RITCHIE connection I can find at present.

Cheers,
Sandy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 September 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,
I have several David Ritchie's but no BMD's for them.
Isabella Ritchie marr David Ritchie c1867 Benholm.
Being such small villages I am sure there is a connection which will eventually surface.
Regards
Mike
Kincardine/Northumberland/Co.Durham/London/Middlesex,Surrey,Tipperary Ireland.Scotland.England.
McBay/McBey,Ritchie,Blues/Blews/Blewes, Davidson,Campbell,Clark,Craig,Criggie,Douglas,Duncan,Dutch,Wyllie,Howard,Farrelly,Finch,Fogarty,Forbes,Freeman, Gibb,Geddes,Gove,Hampton,Jolly, Mackie,Masson,
McKenzie,Mearns,Milne,Mowatt,Mulvany,Nicol,O'Connor,Paton,Pert,Rae,Reid,Robertson,Ross,Scott,Sheret,Simpson,Slater,Smith,Souter, Stephen(s),Stevenson,Stewart,Sutherland,Taylor,Thomson,Webster,Wilson

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 September 09 14:59 BST (UK) »
Mike,
According to the cert I have, my David RICHIE's parents were:
David Richie and Mary Murray
David Ritchie who married Christian Freeman was a Seaman in the Merchant Service.

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 September 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again Mike,
I found another two Ritchie families on the edge of my FREEMAN tree.

OPR for St CYRUS Parish -- 1823
Alex'n RITCHIE & Jean DAVIDSON had daughter named Martha - 25th Nov
and
David RITCHIE and Elizabeth BLACK had a son named David - 28th Nov
both families resident in Milton (which will be Miltonhaven).

Offline foggyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 September 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have in my tree DAVID RITCHIE/ELIZABETH BLACK with 2 sons JOHN b.1810,St.Cyrus, ISABELLA MCBAY b.1813 and married 21 Jan 1838,St.Cyrus,7 children all born Parish of Benholm between 1839  and c1852.Isabella was my 4x Grt.Aunt.
I have no information on 2nd.son DAVID.

I have an ALEXANDER RITCHIE b.1750c Miltonhaven(5x Grt.Grandfather) marr. ISABEL BLEWS(BLUES) 1794 St.Cyrus,6 children,all born Miltonhaven?. Son ALEXANDER b.c1791.

I have 2 JANE DAVIDSON'S same parents born 1798 and 1799 to JOHN DAVIDSON AND HELEN SHEROT(SHIERIT) and had 7 children,All born St.Cyrus. Jean/Jane are popular variations. MARTHA DAVIDSON another daughter was my 3x Grt.Grandmother who married THOMAS MCBAY/BEY. Banns published St.Cyrus and Garvoc 1834/1835.
Does any of this help?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Mike

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 September 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry Mike,
Can't fit your Ritchie or Davidson ancestors to my tree beside any of mine -- not yet anyway!
My Jane Davidson had parents William DAVIDSON and Jane MOIR.
Short on some dates for all three of them. 
Jane married Alexander FREEMAN in 1864, Bervie Parish but resident in Gourdon.
They are my great grandparents. 
He died in 1909 and she in 1915, both at Brae Road Gourdon.

Cheers,
Sandy

Offline redgum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sweet William
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 09 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandy & David,

I was very pleased to come across this thread. It has been awhile since I worked on this tree but I do have this information.

I have in my  tree (direct line).
David RITCHIE and Elizabeth BLACK with 3 sons
John b 26 April 1817 St Cyrus
David b 6 Dec 1823 St Cyrus
William b 16 Aug 1826 St Cyrus.
Our line is through John & Isabel ( McBey)-  and Robert b 1839 the first of their six children.
Following the death of Isabel, John remarried and had 3 more children.

I have researched  the Ritchie side a little but not the McBey yet.

Mike, Do you have any information that you would be happy to share re Isabel's heritage?

Sandy, Robert RITCHIE b 1839 married Elspeth FREEMAN in Belholm 7 th Dec 1861.
I have her as the daughter of James FREEMAN b 1802 Kinneff & Catterline, m Susan MASSON;
granddaughter of James FREEMAN b 1766 Fetteresso m Elspet BARCLAY;
G grand daughter of Andrew FREEMAN and Jane TAYLOR.
Do you can see any connections with your FREEMAN family?

The name FREEMAN has been carried down in the family as a middle name in our line.

Regards
Robyn ( in Australia)
SCOTLAND
Macdonald, Buchan, Stuart, McCook -Angus/ Aberdeenshire
McLeod, McKenzie- Sutherland

IRELAND
McIlhagga, Craig - Antrim

ENGLAND
Stone, Murch, Ireland, Austin, Perryman - Devon
Holder, Robinson -Warwickshire/Staffordshire