Author Topic: James Gardiner circ 1809 born in Cullen  (Read 6928 times)

Offline irene33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Gardiner circ 1809 born in Cullen
« on: Friday 07 August 09 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Here is hoping someone can help me.   In my husband direct line we have a

James Gardiner (from Seatown, Cullen) born abt 1809 married in 1832 to a Isabel Goodbrand (from Portnockie) in Cullen

We have a copy of the Parish Register, however, there is no mention of this couple's parents names
This is where are problem lies.  There were 4 James Gardiner's born within 5 years of each other in Cullen.  If I can find out which one married Isabel Goodbrand it would help a lot.  In order to move on I need to find out his parent's names   ???
Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Gardiner circ 1809 born in Cullen
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 August 09 13:57 BST (UK) »
I note that in 1851 the family were living in Caithness with 7 children - by 1861 James is back living in Cullen with the 3 youngest (no Isabel so presumably she had died).

As he would have died 1861 or after you should be able to find his death on Scotlands People.   This will show who his parents were - Scottish death certificates give far more information than English ones.   I've run out of credits so can't check this for you.   I would do a 'soundex' on the surname - was Gardiner on 1851 Census but Gardner on 1861 Census. 

Good luck.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 August 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene and Annette

Irene, do you have access to Ancestry? There are a number of trees on there for the family of James Gardiner and Isabel Goodbrand  :) Some are private trees where you would have to contact the tree owner for access.

Isabel Goodbrand looks to have died in March 1860. Her parents are showing as John Goodbrand and Elspet Wilson. You will be able to verify this from her death cert. Possible birth entry for her from the Old Parish Register:

ISOBEL GOODBRAND Birth:16 JUL 1812/ Christening: 18 JUL 1812  Cullen, Banff, Scotland
Parents:JOHN GOODBRAND and ELSPET WILSON

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 August 09 14:30 BST (UK) »
If this is the right line on the Goodbrand side, this looks to be more background on the family:

www.ivargault.com/slekt/ancestors_good.html

An old post here on RootsChat on same line:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,289118.0.html

And one on Ancestry:

http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.britisles.scotland.ban.general/1668/mb.ashx?pnt=1

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 August 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
Pure guesses from me from what I am seeing ;) Hopefully you can verify. Did James Gardiner remarry after the death of wife Isabel in 1860? There is a marriage showing possibly to a Margaret Cowie in Dec 1861 in Cullen. Perhaps your James in 1871:

James Gardiner 58, fisherman, b. Cullen
Margaret Gardiner 56, wife b. Rathven
Jane Gardiner 18, lodger b. Cullen
Margaret Buchan 17 , servant

Address: Seatown Cullen

This James' parents are showing from searches as William Gardiner and Margaret Runcie (James' christening on 16 DEC 1809 Cullen). Would also fit with the the names of early born children of your James and Isabel.

As Annette said earlier, you can view BMDs at Scotlands People, the official pay to view site for BMD and censuses images www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Monica

Offline irene33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 August 09 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette and Monica,

Your helpfulness and guidance is wonderful.   Thank you for the look-ups and showing me the way to go forward (or back should I say) with this one.  We thought at one time that William and Margaret Runcie could have been the parents because Jame's eldest son was called William.

We are members of ancestry and will be looking at the other trees about James & Isabel.  We are still fairly new at this so the information about the death certificate was enlightening.  We didn't know about any the remarriage - that will be something we will be researching a little more.

Thank you ladies again,  we are both overwhelmed with your kindness.

Irene

Offline Miguel Angel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 05:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Here is hoping someone can help me.   In my husband direct line we have a

James Gardiner (from Seatown, Cullen) born abt 1809 married in 1832 to a Isabel Goodbrand (from Portnockie) in Cullen

We have a copy of the Parish Register, however, there is no mention of this couple's parents names
This is where are problem lies.  There were 4 James Gardiner's born within 5 years of each other in Cullen.  If I can find out which one married Isabel Goodbrand it would help a lot.  In order to move on I need to find out his parent's names   ???
Does anyone have any ideas?

hello my name is Miguel Ángel Díaz from zacatecas México i am looking for parents of  james gardiner woods from banff Scotland do you know something about him .?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 May 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Miguel , welcome to RC  :)

Could this be James Gardiner Wood born 21st November 1848 , Banff Banff(shire) , parents James Wood and Elizabeth Gardiner ?

or

James Gardener Wood born 29th August 1862 , Deskford Banff , parents Alexander Wood and Jessie McRae ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records