Author Topic: ROUNCE - Is anyone researching the Rounces?  (Read 11197 times)

Offline Neobright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ROUNCE - Is anyone researching the Rounces?
« on: Saturday 08 August 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have a number of people in my family tree who are members of the Rounce family.  Is anyone else researching the Rounce family?  I have a Philip Rounce who was born in Oulton in/around 1854 who then went on to mary Louisa Squires and live in Aylsham. 

His parents were Jabez Rounce (born 1829 in Oulton) and Sarah Bullock (born 1831).
Jabez's parents were James Rounce (born 1803 in Oulton) and Maria Holmes (born 1808).

Rounce is not a very common surname (118 families in England or Wales on the 1891 Census) therefore I'm interested to hear from anyone with Rounce history research.  Particularly those with ties to Oulton/Aylsham.

Thanks

SOLOMON/BENNETTO - Cornwall
GREEN - Norfolk/N.Yorkshire
ROUNCE, THURLOW - Norfolk
MINCHER - Staffordshire
GOODBODY - London (?)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline potterdi

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ROUNCE - Is anyone researching the Rounces?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 August 09 23:21 BST (UK) »
hi there, My maiden name was rounce. Philip and louisa were my great grandparents, from oulton, norfolk. They are buried in the churchyard there. One of their sons, philip was my grandfather. I have quite a history of the family, but you probably have the same!
Potterdi.

Offline shepie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 09 21:18 BST (UK) »
my surname is rounce and my family came from carlton colville and blundeston both near lowestoft suffolk i have a family tree prepared by the late bill rounce of south shields

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi shepie

That might explain why there is a Rounces Lane in Carlton Colville ;D

yokel

Offline Phil Rounce

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandfather Bill Rounce of Jarrow searched ours and many other family trees back hundreds of years. If you search him on the internet i'm sure you will find what your looking for.

Offline SilenceWebb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 July 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Looking into the Silence side of my family I've come across a possible Rounce connection... searching on pilot.familysearch.org I found a reference to a George Silence and Hannah Bounce, but looking at the scan of the actual record the B is quite clearly an R.

Thomas Jeremiah Silence baptized 30th June 1816, Hanworth, Norwich, Norfolk, son of George Silence and Hannah Rounce. Father’s Occupation is listed as Watch-maker.

Would be interested to know if this connects up with anyone elses family research.
Silence - Norfolk, Webb - Plymouth, Landricombe - Plymouth, Coles - Plymouth, Woods - Surrey.

Offline Neobright

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 July 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the interest in this post.

Phil Rounce - Sounds interesting.  I've managed to find some information on Bill Rounce, however I would be interested to know if you have, perhaps via Bill, information on the Rounce's. I have sent you a private message.

SilenceWebb - I do recall seeing a Hannah somewhere in the family tree, but I can't find it at present.  I shall have a dig around and get in touch if I find anything.  My line of the Rounce family appear to have lived in Oulton which is near Alysham for many, many years. 

Shepie - thanks for the info.  I shall send you a PM.
SOLOMON/BENNETTO - Cornwall
GREEN - Norfolk/N.Yorkshire
ROUNCE, THURLOW - Norfolk
MINCHER - Staffordshire
GOODBODY - London (?)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TWINGOE1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
I am reseraching the Rounce family of Oulton for my niece and there is a common ancestral connection with your Phillip and Jabez.
Happy to swap info if i can with you and the other lady 'potterdi' who also appears to be related.
Sounds as though we are on the same track.

Offline TWINGOE1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 August 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
James,
Thanks for the response.  I have been looking at the Rounce and related decendent families such as bullock, squires, oldman etc. with a branch from the Yarmouth area (Wheatcacre All Sainst) of a 'Marshman' in th early 1800s period.  Any history will be of great interest to my niece and her son.  Thanks for the offer.  I am about to go on hols so will speak again in September unless I can get on-line somewhere before then.
regards
Richard.