Author Topic: MACK and MULVY - Coleraine  (Read 14268 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MACK and MULVY - Coleraine
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 August 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Spent quite a while last night searching for more details (using only first names, etc. in several databases) without finding what I was looking for but then with a fresh start this morning might have found a clue!

There’s probably 2 ways this can work- if the family were Macks from Coleraine or McKays from Westmeath. However, it's not as easy as putting everything together in one nice, neat tree, as you know. One problem, of many, is Kathleen born 1871 in Coleraine but mother Mary Mulvey dying then in Westmeath. So,

Mack, Coleraine
1) no birth registrations or R.C. baptisms found (searched church records 1869-1873). Extracted Irish births (1864-c1881) not complete but has good coverage yet none of the children from either marriage seem to be listed

McKay, Westmeath (online trees)
1) Westmeath given as birth & death place of Mary Mulvey, marriage of William Mack to Elizabeth Shaw, birthplace of daughter Susan Anne McKay in 1876
2) “North Coleraine” and Westmeath given as death place of Mary Mulvey
3) William McKay’s mother supposed to be Rose Farmer & William Mack had daughter Rose. Trees list McKay children as Rose & Kathleen with details matching those of Rose & Kathleen Mack
4) Londonderry & Derry given as birthplace of children Annie Jane & Elizabeth McKay (1879,1883)

Now, if ‘Coleraine’ is correct then there are a few other possibilities. 'North Coleraine' doesn't really fit the Londonderry one. The search has concentrated on Coleraine, Co. Londonderry but there are 2 other Coleraines in Ireland.
1) South Tipperary (east of Cashel)- Cashel PLU, Magorban civil parish
2) King’s (Offaly) (northwest of Tullamore)- Tullamore PLU, Durrow civil parish. Less than 2 miles from Westmeath border

Since the family were R.C. is might be worth checking the online Parish Registers to see if any baptisms or marriages can be found.
http://registers.nli.ie/#home_map

P.S. while looking at Australian records I came across a death for William Mack (1920 Windsor NSW)- have you seen this or ruled him out as another child of William and Mary?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 02 August 15 11:43 BST (UK) »
Wow! You have been busy! Thank you very much for all the time you have given this.

Following on from what you have suggested, I emailed all the owners of Ancestry trees with Rose or Kate...MACK or MCKAY asking if they knew any more details and where they had obtained the details shown on the tree. So far I have only heard back from one who had copied it from another tree and had no connection to the family (she was helping a friend).

I have also contacted a few relatives to get them to ask a couple of the older family members still alive if they have heard any stories about Kate's background, parents, siblings and/or arrival in Australia.

Another thing I could check for...and haven't yet...are immigration records for McKAYs

I have seen William from Windsor and have applied for his death certificate. It will take approx 2 weeks.

I had no idea there was more than one Coleraine...the one near Westmeath is intriguing. I will have a go at looking at the Parish records but it will have to wait until tomorrow night...as it's just about bedtime her and I have work tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your help...much appreciated.

Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 02 August 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation (1854) only lists 8 households- see here
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline lillygrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 February 19 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
I know its been some years since these posts were accessed but I am also researching William Mack@McKay and Mary Mulvy and their descendents.
In particular I am wanting to find out about Williams second marriage to Elizabeth Shaw.
I note this post started with someone searching for Kate Mack who was a relative of theirs and the information was that her mother Mary Mulvy died in childbirth then William went on to have more family with Elizabeth Shaw, namely Susan Anne; Rose; Elizabeth; Tom; Joe and Annie Jane.
They came to Australia around 1885.
It was here that Annie Jane McKay married my great great grandfather Thomas Riley and our family descended from there.
Has anyone been successful in confirming the details posted on previous forum posts?
I have information on Thomas McKay,  who died in the Boar War.
Thanks for your help

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 February 19 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi lillygrey,

Great to see your post. My great-grandmother was Kathleen Mack - an older half-sister to your Annie Jane McKay. I'm not sure why my great-grandmother chose to use Mack but I can only wonder if there was a falling out within the family as she and her full siblings aren't listed on their father's death certificate.... only the children from his second marriage.

A few years ago, I was, finally, able to find the immigration record for the family, who seem to have used both McKay and Mack as surnames.

The family travelled aboard the Nurjahan - departing from Plymouth on 28th or 29th November 1884 (depending on which account you look at). The ship arrived in Teneriffe on 4th December and Cape Town on 24th December before sailing to Australia.

The first port of call was Hobart, with the ship arriving on 19th January 1885. After offloading a number of immigrants and cargo, the Nurjahan sailed from Hobart on 22nd January and arrived in Melbourne on 24th January. It departed for Sydney on 31st January.

The final port, Sydney, was reached on 3rd February 1885.

TROVE has a number of articles detailing these ports of call and the Nurjahan's journey.

I have found a number of bits of information relating to Thomas McKay who died in the Boer War but would be very interested in seeing what you have found. Equally, I am happy to share my information with you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Offline lillygrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 February 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ripleyanne
You have had much better luck than me, especially on the immigration side of things.  Its 2 am and I still have had no luck then I read your reply.  Most thankful.
My family knew very little about Annie Jane McKays family, in fact we were given nothing on any of her side except that her father died in 1908 on 14th april and he was born c.1844.  We were told that he left Ireland because of problems but they couldn't say what the problems were, just family story handed down somehow.  A relative Eric Riley states the family was related in some way to the Grogans.  What I have on Thomas is that he was born 12.7.1873 and died in 1901 in South Africa.  Service number 455, Trooper, Died 10 May 1901. 
Other information I have is
Kate Mack  1871 Coleraine Ireland d.1948 Petersham Married Frederick Rose
Susan Anne b.1876 d. 1.11.1936 married Thomas Knott in 1894
Rose     married Joseph Allen had James 1833-1970 and Mary 1835 m. Burrell
Elizabeth 1883 Derby Ireland m. John Murry
Thomas 12.7.1873 d. 1901 Boar War
Annie Jane b. 11.2.1876 Londonderry d. 23.3.1936 Richmond nsw. m. Thomas Riley on 7.3.1895
I have a photograph of Annie Jane
There was also Joe but nothing was written down regarding him.  I am still in the process of trying to confirm some of the information as this is from many years ago.

Hope something helps
Regards
lillygrey

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 00:59 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a PM  :)

Offline melnsw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 04 April 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Has anyone any other info? I am just starting my family tree and rose is my great great Grandmother.

Thanks