Author Topic: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information  (Read 26258 times)

Offline robertosoy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thomass:

I have worked with the content of your last post but do not see a connection. Your info helps me eliminate some possible ancestors since they belong to the James Wallace/Jean Ronald line as opposed to the James Wallace/Margaret Thomson line which started out a bit earlier with Hugh (b1774). My James was a "taylor" in Jackton and was not an agricultural worker but his son Hugh grew up and married in the area to a Janet Hamilton (m1793). Whatever happened to the family after 1774 remains a mystery.

My #12, Robert Wallace was baptized 20/04/1794, son to James Wallace (Lairhills). This is in the OPR records.

Regards,
Robertosoy

Hope this little bit is of help.

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Thomass,

The McAuley/Wallace family you listed is the same family I am interested in. I have Jean/Jane's death cert from 1859 and the births of children Janet & John are listed on the IGI. The children Isabella & Jane are with them on the 1861 census. I would be interested in any more info you have found on them.

Douglas
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Offline Thomass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 January 11 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Douglas,
Apologies for the delay in responding...Jane  married James Wallace on 18 april 1851.Children ,from previously mentioned Lawrie Family Tree, were James b.1853.d.1895,Isabella b.1852,William b.1854.m. Jessie Gray (Cairndrum),Janet b.1856.d.1907.m. Robert Murray(Kingsmuir),John b.1858.d.1925,James.m.1877 to Anne(Agnes/Annie) Wallace b.1855.d.1924.at glasgow,farmed at Gowanhead,Farnell and Haughmuir,Brechin.Anne   descended from the James Wallace/Jean Ronald line.Her siblings are Mary b.1837,Janet b.1851,Isabella b. 1848,Mary .b.1841, Robert.b.1839,John.b.1837,Helen.b.1836 and (uncertain) Anny.b. abt 1850(perhaps she died ?)Their parents were Robert Wallace.b.1794.d.1859 and Helen Jackson b.1812.d.1874.Robert's(1794;1859) parents were James Wallace and Jean Ronald  .
On the other leg, James Wallace's (m.Jane McAuley) father was James Wallace .b.1786.d. 1866 and mother Jenet Wallace .b.1785.d. 1867.Jenet's parents were James Wallace and Jean Ronald.
we seem to have 2 levels of intermarriage between two Wallace famili,es.
Information comes from the Lawrie tree not all of which I have personally verified, as mentioned,other research including Robert and Helen's family bible(which Ive sighted when on a visit to  East Kilbride ).....usual warnings apply.What info do you have
I'll try and send an email address for further correspondence.
Trust this assists
Thomass

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 September 11 13:42 BST (UK) »
I have William Wallace in my line who married Mary Jackson at EK in 1829. My notes have William as the son of James born at Mains EK 1800 but he is too far a field from my paternal interests so I never went further. Wm and Mary had 4 daughters Isabella, Mary, Margaret and Agnes.

If anyone is of this line they are welcome to a photo I have of Isabella Wallace (1833-1922) a rather intimidating looking lady. Although she died in Auchtermuchty she was interred at the OPC in EK with the her husband and 4 of her children.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline CANBANKIE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 July 13 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Kevin,
                   my 4 x great grandmother was a Jean Wallace who married James Baird in East Kilbride in March 1772. I also have a Mary Wallace who married Robert Baird in East Kilbride in 1842. This Mary Wallace is named on the family headstone in EK Old Parish Churchyard.
Also a Jean Wallace from Glasford who married my 3 x great grandfather William Baird in 1801.
Hope this doesn't cloud things too much. Would be interested in exchanging notes.

Baird
My gr.gr.gr.grandparents were also Jean Wallace and William Baird...their daughter Elizabeth Baird had an illegitimate daughter Jane Baird or Lawson born 1833...John Lawson was the father...maybe a cousin.
Jane Baird/Lawson married my gr.grandfather Duncan McColl in East Kilbride.I have a photo of the family outside their cottage in Kittochside.
Frank McGonigal Ont.Canada

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 July 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
Are you related to Margaret Wallace, born 1804 in East Kilbride? Her parents were John Wallace and Jane Ronald.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 July 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
I meant to add that Margaret Wallace married John Craig, landed proprietor of Birdsfield Farm, Blantyre, and they later had Udston Farm, Hamilton. Both John Craig and his wife, Margaret Wallace, died there in 1876.

I note you also have a Craig connection.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline CANBANKIE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 July 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
Are you related to Margaret Wallace, born 1804 in East Kilbride? Her parents were John Wallace and Jane Ronald.

Cheers,

Rodeo
I don't think so.The only Wallace I know of at the moment is Jean Wallace who was born in Glassford 1780.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 04 July 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Rodeo,
I am wondering if your Margaret Wallace b 1804 had a connection to Andrew Wallace bc 1800 in EK?
This is not my ancestral line, but there is something familiar.....

Andrew Wallace was married to Mary Wilson. they farmed at Farme Mansion, Rutherglen.
They had a daughter named Mary b 1836
This Mary Wallace married John Jackson in 1859, a farmer, born Cambuslang. ( The Jacksons form part of my family)
John Jackson ran his mother's farm ( Blantyre Farm) until her death in 1882, after which he and his wife Mary Wallace moved to Birdsfield Farm in Blantyre, and are living there in 1891 and 1901.

Having done some research on the Jackson line, they were fairly successful farmers, but they did not own any of the properties, but were tenants of the Duke Of Hamilton.

I would expect that Birdsfield Farm was  also owned by "His Grace, Duke Of Hamilton"

Anne