Author Topic: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information  (Read 26371 times)

Offline madsainty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace's in East Kilbride, looking for information
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomass,

I am a decendant of the John Wallace / Mary Craig branch you mention, they would be my 4x Great Grandparents, they were the farmers at High Mains and the farm passed to their son Robert and then his son Robert took over whilst Roberts older brother John who was my GG Grandfather moved away and travelled round a number of farms in Scotland ending up in Dalkeith where he died in 1899.

I have visited the farm and castle recently and met and spoke to the current owners who purchased the farm from my family in the past 15 years or so. My family played some part in the restoration of Mains Castle but exactly what I havent yet verified.

I knew of the James/Janet family but couldnt make a connection to my branch other than to think that John and James could have been brothers but with no proof I concentrated on the direct line I knew was correct.

Would be facinated to know of your research and happy to share mine with you if its in any way relevant, you can email me at (*) if you want and we can take it from there.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline madsainty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 September 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomass,

Sorry Ive just re-read your message and I see the connection now that your also a decendant of the John/Mary family...thats fantastic, stupid me should have read your message properly in the first place before replying. So John's son James married a Wallace too (Jean the daughter of James and Janet)..I had a link on my tree to that but no further information but will now go back to my tree and have another look.

please get in touch by email and we can take this further, Im very excited you have gotten in touch.

Kevin

Offline Thomass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 09 08:29 BST (UK) »
Kevin,
 Slight correction...James married Jenet (Janet) Wallace (parents James Wallace and Jean Ronald) on 21 June 1809 at East Kilbride.Yes, I descend from there via Jean (b.1810 d.1874).I have a copy of pages ex a Wallace Family Bible which confirms my existing research that there was a linkage of (my ) William Gray and Jean Wallace with Robert Wallace family.According to my info,Robert was born in 1798 and married Helen Jackson (b.1816;m. 22 Mar 1835:d.4 Jul 1874).The deaths of William and Jean are recorded in the copy of the Robert Wallace family register.
James' son James (b1820;d.1893) is shown , in some other info, as having lived at "Low "Mains.
Rootschat policy prevents email at this stage(this is my 2nd post)?... but v. interested in doing so.
Thomass

Offline madsainty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 October 09 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Thomass,

Yes I got into trouble for putting my email on a previous message, as soon as you make a third post we can send a direct message and at that point can exchange email addresses.

I have a complete record of the family of Robert Wallace who was my 3xgreat Grandfather but im interested in your mention of extracts from a family bible, there was talk when my great uncle was alive about a bible with details of the family in it but no-one knew what happened to it. Low Mains farm doesnt seem to exist now(seemed to be called 'laigh mains' on some info I have), My side of the family have used Jackson (from Helen) as a middle name for a few generations.

I have a little bit on James (Roberts Brother) such as details of his will but my investigation of that line got no further than to list his children, do you know wether Robert and James had any other siblings?? I thought I may have found a couple of girls born to John Wallace and Mary Craig but could never find info to corroberate that!, Its true to say Ive spent a small fortune on Scotlands People website over the past few years!!!!

At the time your Great Grandfather went to New Zealand a number of my line also emigrated and I am now in regular contact with 3 of the families out in New Zealand, another line went to Canada and I also have contact with them which has been fantastic.

Robert and Helen had 2 boys, John the eldest was my GG Grandfather and a younger son Robert. John travelled around the country as a journeyman farmer (dairy) and the story goes that he was to return to inherit the farm (High Mains) upon his father (Roberts) death as the younger son (Robert) had no family but he then got married very late in his life and the farm ended up passing down Roberts line and not John's. Roberts daughter (Agnes) and her brothers (Ferguson & Andrew) ran the farm and it passed to her son (Robert Watt) sometime after her death at the farm in 1951. Roberts son eventually sold the farm a few years back, I believe he is called Fergus Watt (or Ferguson) and he still lives in East Kilbride but I have yet to make contact with him.

Anyway, thats a brief history, I would love to know more about your research and hopefully we can exchange more details soon, thank you so much for getting in touch it has made my day!!

Kevin

Offline Thomass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 October 09 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
James and Robert had other siblings according to info I have come across...Hugh Andrew and Mary.Robert and John had a brother ,it seems ,named James who lived only a few months (it would seem) and 5 sisters ?there may have been a 6th sister who died (there were 2 girls named Anny)Some of the stuff I have come across cross checks with IGI,but not all of it.Have managed to avoid  paying too much to the canny scots as the Kiwi to the pound is traditionally not good.
There,thats 3.
Thomass

Offline robertosoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 November 10 04:29 GMT (UK) »
I also have an ancestor born in the parish, Hugh Wallace (b1774), son of a James Wallace. I find two James Wallace families at that time
                           James Wallace/Margaret Thomson (m1773)
                           James Wallace/Elizabeth Coats (m1775)

I believe that the parents of Hugh were the first couple (m1773) but would appreciate info on the parentage of the various children to "James Wallace" in the following ten years or so, i.e. prior to the appearance of the James Wallace (Mains) children.

Offline robertosoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 November 10 00:37 GMT (UK) »
The James Wallace Problem.

Thanks for replying to my post, Thomass. I hoped that you would since you appear to have supplementary information. I cannot get to the "send" dialogue of personal messages right now so here goes!

In the time period 1761-1800 I see three marriages in the parish involving James Wallaces

(A)    31/01/73    James Wallace Margaret Thomson
(B)    01/10/75    James Wallace Elizabeth Coats
(C)    25/01/84    James Wallace Jean Ronald

Births to James Wallaces are as follows, my interpretation between the lines

(1)    27/02/74 Hugh Wallace (Jackton) legal birth

(since legal, presumed son of (A) above)

(2)    28/04/75  Margaret Wallace (Netsnook) natural (i.e. illeg) birth

(since marriage (B) occurs a few months later, I presume James (B) is father)

(3)    19/05/76 Janet Wallace (Allerish hole) birth,  11/08/76 James Wallace (Easter Common)

(these births are too close to be of the same family and the locations differ from the marriages. I cannot tell which is which, but I note in the blog that you attribute Janet to James (B)).

(4)   07/06/78  Andrew Wallace (Allerish hole)  ????

(5)   18/01/81 Margaret Wallace (Allerish hole)  ?????

(but James (B) already had a Margaret. So, does this Margaret belong to James (A) and is Allerish hole now his home?)

(6)   08/05/83  Isobel Wallace (Bogton)  ?????

<---------->      Now we come to the date at which James (C) is married    <--------------->

(7)   20/03/85  Jean Wallace (Mains)   James (C)
(8)   20/08/86  Janet Wallace (Mains)  James (C)

(9)   28/09/88     James Wallace (Lairhill)     ????
(10)   30/08/89   James Wallace (Mains)   James (C)
(11)   18/09/91   Bazil Wallace ????
(12)   20/04/94    Robert   ??????
(13)   1800         William (Mains)  James (C)     

Some of the place names are variously spelled e.g. Allerish hole as Arrich hole, etc.

It seems to me that James (A) was born in 1751 (Cambuslang) and that James (B) was born in 1755 in Glassford. The second may be your ancestor.

Anything you can clarify in the above would be appreciated since my only source is ScotlandsPeople and you perhaps have supplementary material.

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 December 10 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You can also access various maps from www.nls.uk/digital-gallery. For example, http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html gives a similar map to what Dex suggested. Drag the cursor to move across or double click to zoom in. You can also switch between modern and historic.

I have found references to my own farming ancestors in the Glasgow Herald with Gale Archives. You can access these from home by joining the Lancashire Libraries, www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries/borrower/join.asp. Sign up online and receive your number by email.

There is also Google Archives, http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC though I don't find this as easy to use.

I would be interested to hear if any of you find a link with the McAulay family. It appears that Jean McAulay, a sister of an ancestor of mine married James Wallace in EK in 1851. On the 1861 census it may be the same James Wallace as a widower at Castle Mains with his young children and James' parents James & Janet.

Douglas
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Offline Thomass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Robertosoy,I have looked through my tree and I have no obvious connections until Janet Wallace christened 20 Aug 1786 .She married (11 Jun 1810 ex  OPR EKilbride) James Wallace (b.15 Jul 1786,Bossfield, Lanark.d.14 Jul 1866 at E Kilbride )
Janet descended from Jean Ronald (b.25 Jan 1784) and James Wallace (b.1755).
James from John Wallace (1756- 1843) and Mary Craig (1762- 1836).
James' brothers were Robt (1795-1859),Hugh (1801-1864),Andrew(1801-1890),John(1790-1862), and sister Mary(1795-1882)
Janet's bros were John (1807-),William(1800-1877),Basil (1791-1857)
James and Janet had children,Jean (1810-1874),Janet (1825-),Mary (1818-1850),John (1813-1814),O*****(1816-),Ann(1823-1835),James(1820-1893).Jean married William Gray 3 Dec1830 at Renfrew.William Gray is my primary focus,any info would be appreciated.(b.abt 1804 died 1848) father /mother could be William and Ann ?
I have a Robert Wallace born abt 1795 who was James' bros .Robt married Helen Jackson.I have family bible material on them.I note you have #12 (20 Apr 1794)..any more information?
DouglasP
I have a Jane McAuley (d.22 Aug 1859??) m.James Wallace (in april 1851).James descended  from James Wallace and Janet Wallace ,who descended from John Wallace/Mary Craig and James Wallace /Jean Ronald ,respectively(ie the same as above).Jane and James had children John(1858-1925),Janet(1856-1907),William (1854-),James (1853-1895),Isabella(1852-)This info is from a Lawrie family tree which I accessed through the S Lanarkshire E.Kilbride library so not personally  researched(there is more )
Trust this assist -best endeavours