Author Topic: An Interesting part of my tree  (Read 8125 times)

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
An Interesting part of my tree
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 08:56 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone had a tree that was just so difficult to explain for one reason or another like mine.

I'd like to share what I have but have to explain it in separate stages.  I hope you can follow it.

Isabella EDMONDSON was the daughter of George Downey EDMONDSON and Isobell BAXTER.

In 1860 Isabella married Joseph Samuel McCULLOCH in Victoria, Australia.

Unfortunately she died the same day her son, John McCULLOCH, was born.
Young John  lived with his maternal grandparents for awhile.

Joseph Samuel (Joe Sam) remarried Mary TWIST and had 5 children with her.
Young John returned and lived with his father and step motherseveral years down the track so I believe.

Unfortunately, Joe Sam died but Mary remarried Richard GOLDSWORTHY, bringing all 6 children with her.

Mary and Richard had only one son together, James Bickford GOLDSWORTHY.

Bickford, as he was known, ended up marrying three times.
1.  Harriet Kate CROSS
2.  Agnes King McCULLOCH
3.  Elizabeth Agnes BARBER

The next stage of this story is about Agnes King McCULLOCH.

Agnes King McCULLOCH was the daughter of John McCULLOCH and Agnes KING.  Yes, you are right....This is the same John McCULLOCH that Bickford's mother brought up as her own.

But lets take it one step further backwards.
Agnes KING was the daughter of Hugh KING and Rachel Holt THOMPSON of Ireland.

This in itself is easy enough to follow and but the "thot plickens"......

This is where we come to the last stage.

Elizabeth Agnes BARBER was the 3rd wife of Bickford GOLDSWORTHY.

Betty, as she was known to my branch of the family, was the daughter of William Charles BARBER and Rachel KING.

Rachel KING was the daughter of.............Hugh KING and Rachel Holt THOMPSON of Ireland.  Yes, the same people.

In a nutshell I'd have to say that keeping things in the family is very confusing in this respect.

Bickford married his Mother's "step" Grandaughter (his neice by marriage?) and then her cousin.....at least that's how I think you'd say it.

Not always easy to explain but having an actual tree drawn up helps.

Jackie
Queensland, Australia
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
FRIEZER / FRIESER in England, Indonesia and Netherlands
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset
JAMIESON / RENNIE or RANIE / EDMONDSON / CAMERON in Scotland
DOWNING / McKEOWN / MILLS / HANES and WYLIE in Ireland
McKEOWN in NY and Boston / RAPSEY in New Zealand
and many many more.  These are just the main ones

Offline aisie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: An Interesting part of my tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I can't think that there would be too many men named Bickford Goldsworthy and if he was living in Kiewa Valley Victoria around 1927, then he is the person that I remember my parents talking about.   He was an old man by then and my parents were 23 and 21 year old assisted migrants from the UK who as part of the deal had to work on the land for 5 years and chose the Goldsworthy's farm from what was offered to them by the Immigrtion office in Melbourne.  They spent almost 10 years there before coming to Sydney to live.
For the first 6 months they were accomodated in a tent in the orchard.
If you know the name of the property or the location I would be interested in that information.   They got off the train at Huon Station and travelled some distance by car to the property.   They often spoke of the town of Tamgambalanga which is in the Kiewa valley.
regards, Aisie.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Edmondsen

Australia Deaths and Burials, 1816-1980
 death 30 Sep 1880 — In The Wreck Of The Susanne Godeffry

does this fit anywhere
family search

sylvia

notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aisie,

James Bickford GOLDSWORTHY was b. 1885 and died 1970.
You may be referring to his father Richard b. 1843 and died 1938.

The name of the property is Tallandowring which is situated at Gundowring.
I went there a few years ago and the owners let me walk through the house.  They had restored it to it's original condition apart from the servants quarters which they upgraded to a decent indoor laundry area.
You could see the difference in height for the doorways and was advised of the foundations being like the catacombes.
Was shown where they paid the staff and the little 'shop' they had.
It's absolutely beautiful country and a beautiful house.

Incidently, across the road is a property called Round Hill.
This is where Mary McCulloch (Twist) worked prior to her marriage to Richard GOLDSWORTHY.

Richard married late in life to Mary McCullloch on 29th June 1885. They were married at the Westeyan Methodist Church at Tangambalanga and are the first in the register. At the time Richard was 41, Mary was 40.  Richard and Mary had one child, James Bickford Goldsworthy, born 10th November 1885. He was named James after the brother who died and Bickford after a friend of Richard in England. He went through life known as Bickford.

Richard lived to 94 years of age, in his small timber cottage at Gundowring. He died in January 1938 and is buried with his wife in the Kiewa cemetery.

Bickford moved to Queensland and was cremated at Toowoomba.

I'm interested in the Immigration scheme you talked about.

Jackie
GOLDSWORTHY / TREMAYNE & variations / UREN & variations / BOWDEN  / SIRL in Cornwall
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 11 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,

Unfortunately I don't have a death for an EDMONDSON for that date.  However, I do have a lot of missing death information I need to track down.

Jackie
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline aisie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jackie,
Thank you so much for replying with the name of the Property and its location and the information about Richard and Bickford.
You prompted my memory that I had a booklet "A History of the Kiewa Valley" by Ester Temple and David Lloyd which holds much information about the families etc. of the Kiewa and I believe copies may still be available from the Kiewa Valley Historical Society but I do not have a contact address or number for them.
The Barber family have a couple of columns and also the Goldsworthys.
Most of what I know of my parents departure from UK to Australia is anecdotal, and unfortunately a lot of what they told me has faded in my memory.
In the 1920's, the times in England were pretty grim and so when my Mother and Father decided to marry in 1927 they were swayed by the large amount of advertising for young fit people to immigrate to Australia with Assisted Passage and I understand that part of that arrangement was that they had to sign up to work on the land for 5 years before making their own way.  I believe the fare was 33 pounds sterling, a lot of money at the time (my mother was in service earning about 20 pounds a year and keep)
There were a number of people in their group who sailed from Tilbury on 31st March, 1927 (two days after they were married) and the men were accomodated in one section of the ship and my mother in a cabin with a number of women from one family.
When they arrived in Melbourne they were directed to an office in Melbourne (immigration??) and were told that there were two jobs to choose from.   The one at the Goldsworthy's in the Kiewa took their fancy as it came with a brick cottage.
My mother spoke of their disappointment of finding on their arrival that the cottage had not yet been started and that their home was to be a tent in the orchard for 6 months especially as it was winter.
They stayed with the Goldsworthys for about 5 years then had a short stint out in the Wimmera then came back to the Goldsworthys until my father was offered work in the Building Industry in Sydney.
I expect that this is way outside of your interest in your family history but it is just a little insight into the times in which those relatives of yours lived.
I have been online today trying to chase down some reference to this particular immigration scheme, (in which people were indentured in repayment of the assisted passage) but so far have not been able to find a reference to it. 
Good luck with your family history search.
Regards,  Aisie

Offline JackieQLD-au

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Aisie,

I'm very interested in anything to do with the GOLDSWORTHY's.  I've heard something about people from USA working there with the pigs.  Also that my Grt. Uncle, Vin McKenna worked there for awhile....maybe a foreman or something.

The information I posted was from that book you mention.

You don't mention your parent's names.  I might be able to find out more info from a living rellie for you.

Jackie
HOOPER in London
TWIST in Lancashire
SEARLE in Dorset

Offline aisie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Jackie, thank you for coming back to me.   My parents were Aubrey and Gladys ASCOTT.

When I contemplate the circumstances of their lives in 1927, it seems to me quite daunting that they up sticks and left a quiet village just outside of Bristol England, left behind their families and friends for the vast unknown.   They had the courage to dream that they could find a better life for a time and hopefully return home with a much better future.   Unfortunately for them and many others of that time, the big depression hit the world and they found life very hard.   My mother commented that at times she couldnt even afford a stamp to send a letter back home.
BUT for all their hardships, I have had the opportunity to grow and live in the lucky country.   If my ancestors could see me now!!!
I now that they loved the Kiewa Valley and had good times at the Goldsworthy's.   My father was quite a story teller and if only I had taken notes of the things that he used to relate to me and my siblings of life in the Kiewa and some funny stories.   I remember that he related the story of the travelling salesman who came to the property and imbibed too many drinks and passed out.   He went to sleep on a cot on the verandah, and later that evening the men in the party removed most of his clothes and carried the cot down into the paddock.   Of course the poor man was very embarrassed to wake up and have to make his way in his long undergarments up to the verandah next morning, to get dressed again.
I visited the Kiewa Valley quite some years ago, but by then my parents had passed on, so I went not knowing where they had spent the first years of the lives there, but there is a chance we will go back there again (we have a motorhome so travel a bit) and now I will know precisely where to head to.
My older brother was born in 1934 at Yackandandah Bush Nursing Hospital, so I guess some records would be still available there (if it still exists)  I didnt arrive until they were established in sydney in 1940.
I have a memory that the Coulston Family were share farmers either at Tallandowring or very close by.
Their children were Gladys, I think Frank and another girl starting with M.
If in your family history there is any reference to the Kiewa Valley Rifle Club, you may be interested in a A4 sepia photo I have of 5 men from the winning A team in 1913. (there are no names on the photo)  In the booklet I referred to and you are aware of, it mentions the setting up of the club at the beginning of the 20th century and th names  of some of the members.
In the Kiewa booklet is a mention of Joseph Ford who had the mail run from Huon Station to Gundowring.   This is the man who picked up my parents and transported them to Goldsworthy's when they arrived from Melbourne.   My father reported that his van was "governed" to a very low speed, by his own choice because he had had a very bad accident in which his wife was killed, so the trip from the station (which by the way is just a small siding) was extremely slow, so they arrived at the homested very late that night.
Regards,
Aisie

Offline aisie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 10:09 GMT (UK) »
A   P.S.
Vin McKenna rings a bell, I'm sure my father spoke of him...just wish I could ask him.
Aisie.