Author Topic: ss 'James Patterson'  (Read 9761 times)

Offline colinperkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ss 'James Patterson'
« on: Wednesday 12 August 09 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have recently discovered my GG aunt emigrated to Australia from Somerset in 1838.

Francis and Elizabeth WOODFORD (nee PERKINS) sailed from Plymouth to Sydney between August/December 1838, together with their three young children and  also siblings of Francis.

The ship was the 'James Patterson', 513 tons. It was a frequent trader and also served as a troopship on occasions.

Would anyone know if there is a picture of this particular vessel in ciculation?

Best regards

Colin Perkins
Perkins - Taunton, Somerset; and Long Melford, Suffolk
Stevens - Curry Mallet, Somerset
Hannam - Stowell, Somerset
Hanham - Stowell, Charlton Horethorne, Somerset
Hebditch - Castle Cary, Somerset
Goatley - Wiltshire
Perkins/Parkin - Atherington, Devon
Perkins - Huron county, Ontario. Canada

Offline colinperkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ss 'James Patterson'
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
I am actually answering my own message, as a form of correction.

On further research, the subject vessel was actually named 'JAMES PATTISON'.

It first appeared in 1830 with convicts from Dublin to NSW; then traded between Madras and London 1832/1833. It reappeared carrying convicts in 1837 from Sheerness to Sydney, a year before my ancestors (WOODFORD/PERKINS) came out on assisted passages.

The ship was reported to have 'burnt to the waterline' off the Azores carrying a cargo of Jute.

I would still like to find its Port of Registry, and if pictures of the ship are in ciculation

Regards

Colin Perkins

Goatley - Wiltshire

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 09 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

There are a number of mentions of James Pattison on Google.  I don't know if you are in Oz or in the UK.  If in UK try searching using www.google.com.au as this will alow you to filter answers "Australia only".  I find that there are better results if looking for Australian information, just as you get better UK info if yu use the UK Google site.

In the 19th century British Library newspapers there is an article in The Derby Mercury November 11, 1840, about the fire and sinking of the James Pattison.  Unfortunately it does not actually mention the place where this occured but those aboard were taken on by the Norval on route from St John's to Leghorn.
The Hull Packet, October, 1840 says that the "James Pattison, Cromartie" was on its way back from Sydney, Bombay and St Helena  with a cargo of mainly wool and cotton which caught fire. Captain and crew were landed at Lisbon by the Norval.

And an advertisement in The Times 1832 for passengers and freight to Calcutta, apply to Captain Bolton at the Jerusalem coffee-house, or Capt  Grindley, East India army agent 16 Cornhill, or to Tomlin and Mann 41 Cornhill.

Can't find a photo though!

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline colinperkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith

Many thanks for such a concise and interesting history. I was 'ggoling' through the UK but will change my tack and try through AU.

Being a retired seafarer, it fascinates me to think of people setting out on such a journey from Uk to Oz in 1838 with their young children. The last time I was in the area was 2005 as part of a team delivering a High-speed ferry from it's builders in Hobart up the Australian E Coast inside the barrier reef to Jakarta and onwards to France. (Took us 25 days at 35 knots, plus five refuelling stops!)

You confirm what I omitted in my last message, that the year of 'disaster' was 1840.

I will continue to search for an illustration of the ship, or its rigging description

Thank you again for your reply

Kind regards

Colin Perkins
Goatley - Wiltshire

Offline colinperkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 09 13:29 BST (UK) »
Whilst researching this particular ship, actually named JAMES PATTISON, I came across an excellent website which has helped me considerably.

The British Library has a site at www.bl.uk which includes many British provincial newspaper articles between 1800 to 1900,  where you are able to word-search their contents.

Thought this information might help fellow researchers.

Regards

Colin Perkins
Goatley - Wiltshire

Offline Ninatoo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 09 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin,

In a few months, you might obtain further details from Familysearch.org (Latter Day Saints site, aka IGI) .  I have been indexing records for them for some time now and I have been recently working on Australian Bounty records (or a name something similar; I can't recall the exact name at this time of night!).

Anyway I have indexed many records for the James Pattison....and the years are from 1828 until 1842 so your people will be listed I am sure. 

Nina
CARSON - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
CLARK - Dunbarton
CORR - Glasgow and Ireland
COTTERILL - Glasgow and England
CROMBIE - Glasgow, Ayr and Ireland
DOCHERTY - Glasgow
EASTON - Dunbarton, Renfrew and Glasgow
GLANCY - Glasgow and Ireland
GORDON - Glasgow and Ireland
GRANELLI - Glasgow and Italy
LOGAN - Glasgow and Ireland
MAIN - Fearn, Ross & Cromarty and Glasgow
MCCORMICK - Glasgow and England
MCNICOL - Glasgow and Ireland
O'BRIEN - Glasgow and  Ireland
WATSON - Glasgow

Offline colinperkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 09 14:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Nina

Thank you for your reply. Very interesting - I shall look forward to this extra information.

I have tracked the ship throughout it's (unusually short) career. It was built in London in 1828, and traded to Australia, then returned to UK via India. It perfomred two transportation of convict voyages in 1830 and 1837, took out the Governor Sir James Stirling to Swan River in 1834, some of my ancestors in 1838, and in 1837 from Cork took out the dream cargo for every seafarer - 287 free female emigrants (from England, Scotland and Ireland).

On a return voyage from Australia to England via India, the ship went on fire and was abandoned in the Atlantic 30 September 1840, off the Azores. All on board were saved by a passing ship, the NORVAL, and landed in Lisbon. (I gained a copy of the eye-witness account as published in The Derby Mercury 11th November 1840)

Now trying to acquire a crew-list, and illustration or plan, of the ship.

Kind Regards

Colin Perkins
Goatley - Wiltshire

Offline Clemshark

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I saw your post and was interested in your information on the James Pattison.

I am researching an early australian aviator ( Captain Harry Butler) and beleive that his Grandfather sailed out to australia on this vessel ( William Butler 1824) as a 15 or 16 YO Irishman.
Do you have a copy of the passanger list to confirm this or could you point me in the right direction of one.ting out in the research area.

Cheers,

Les Parsons
Also do you know the route and dates of departure and arrival?

Any info would be appreciated as i am just star

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 October 09 13:42 BST (UK) »
Have just posted this website address for someone else investigating the Woodfords!

http://www.theaustralianafund.org.au/2000_1.html

It seems this may be the only picture in existence, of the "James Pattison"!

For the other Woodford investigation ... see

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,414060.0.html
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson