Author Topic: missing an old rascal !!!  (Read 2787 times)

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: missing an old rascal !!!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 August 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
There are only four marriages in the Berwick Roman Catholic registers with the name Bracken.

Margaret Bracken daughter of Richard Bracken married Peter Barker of Berwick 20 April 1848. Witnesses Patrick Rooney, Mary Gillan.

James Bracken son of Richard Bracken married Catherine McDonald daughter of Patrick McDonald 19 February 1855. Witnesses Patrick Bracken, Sarah Maguire.

Ann Bracken daughter of Patrick Bracken of Co. Roscommon married Timothy Leonard, son of Timothy Leonard of Co. Roscommon 4 September 1848. Witnesses Peter Regan, Margaret Rooney.

Patrick Brackan son of Patrick Brackan of Co. Roscommon married Ann Flanagan daughter of Arthur Flanagan of Berwick 5 June 1867. Witnesses William Davis, Janet McElwe.

In addition to what Michael said about Irish finding work in the north east, Berwick will be celebrating the 160th anniversary of the opening of the Royal Border Bridge next year, which was built by a large workforce containing many Irish labourers, some of whom stayed and settled in Berwick

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 August 09 12:42 BST (UK) »

Not to be outdone by Jora's Royal bridge, I will throw in the fact that Carlisle to Newcastle railway line was finished in late 1830's.  lol.

So the Irish in Cumberland, or those landing at ports such as Whitehaven, instead of having options of staying put, turning left up the west of Scotland, turning left down into Lancashire, etc, could then opt for rail travel into the coalfields of NBL & Durham (if they had the fare, of course! )

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline bykerlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 August 09 07:07 BST (UK) »
Wow !!!!
This forum is so overwhelming.

Ruskie,i tend to agree with you on the 1850 marriage and am going to purchase the certificate.As for Dolly,i did think about the possibility of her being James' grandmother,looking at the household and their ages it means she had the youngest child at the ripe old age of 51,very doubtful i think but who knows.

Jora,your information has opened up so many new avenue's for me and given me so much more to explore.Loved the news about the Berwick Bridge,brings back so many fond memories,beuatiful part of the North-East.

Michael,i do agree with you also in thinking James got off lightly,i can only say that hopefully was the only member of the family to have been locked up(you never know tho').Great note about the Carlisle railway line,still the quickest way to cross the two counties in my opinion,certainly the most picturesque.

Once again, thanks to all of you,your help is so much appreciated.I will keep you posted on my progress.

Absolutely dumbfounded at the response !!!!!

Regards,

Bykerlad.

Offline LBH04

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 18:02 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this thread is still open, but I am also looking for Brackens from Roscommon.  My direct ancestor was Deliarthe (Delia) Bridget Bracken, born around 1854 in Roscommon.  She had a brother, James Bracken, born around 1853.  Her parents were James and Ann Bracken.  This is all I know of the family names.  James Bracken, the brother, was in Bolton, and Farnworth, Lancashire, and married Mary Fitzpatrick there.  He arrived in the US in 1882, and went to Cincinnati, Ohio;  Delia came around 1870, but I can't find any immigration records for her.  She also went to Cincinnati, Ohio; I believe she may have traveled alone, but I do not know.  My grandmother called her "Matilda".  She died in 1877 in Cincinnati from complications from childbirth, after only being married about a year.  I believe Michael Bracken may be a relative, possibly a brother, but it's only circumstantial.  I found him in Roscommon with either a birth date of 1838 or 1848, and he married Catherine McGlinn.  I believe he may be related because he is from Roscommon, moved to Cincinnati, Ohio, and is buried at the same cemetery as James Bracken and his sister, Delia.  Any help appreciated.  I have been looking for a very long time and cannot find them.  Thank you.