Author Topic: What happened to Lilian Sharman (nee Griffiths)?  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Lilian Sharman (nee Griffiths)?
« on: Thursday 13 August 09 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to find what happened to my Great-Great Grandmother Lilian Sharman (nee Griffiths).

She was born in 1869 in Hanley, Staffordshire daughter of Thomas Griffiths and Mary Ann (nee Heath). She had three sisters and a brother: Eveline (b. 1868), Laura (b. 1871), Mary (b. 1875) and Thomas (b. 1880). In 1890 she married Robert Edward Sharman and they had two children: George Edgar Sharman (b. 1892, d. 1917) and my Great-Grandmother Violet (b. 1893).

In 1899 Robert Edward Sharman died, the family story is that he had typhoid fever. Within a week his father George Sharman died also of typhoid. After this time Lilian disappeared and as far as I know she never saw her children again. Violet and George (known as Edgar) were raised by their father's sister Hannah, or Anna Sharman, married surname Snow. They were loved and were called sister and brother by their Snow cousins, but I gather Violet was always hurt by her mother's actions.

I had wondered whether Lilian had a breakdown, but Violet's surviving children believe she remarried, they mentioned the surname Beck last time it was discussed. They also think she stayed in North Staffordshire, one of my Great-Aunts believes she was once followed around Newcastle by a servant of Lilian's. I have been unable to trace Lilian on the 1901 and 1911 censuses, I have tried using various spellings of her name and surname (Sharman was often spelled as Sherman eg), and also her maiden name, but no luck so far. Nor have I been able to find a marriage or death record for her.

Does anyone know anything about what became of Lilian? I find it hard to believe that a mother in her right mind could abandon her young children after their father has died, I know it obviously did happen occasionally but would like to find out whether it was the case here.

EDIT: after a few attempts I have attached a photo of Violet and Edgar Sharman.
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Lilian Sharman (nee Griffiths)?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am not saying this is your Lillian but in 1901 in Nottingham in the District County Asylum there is a resident patient with the initials L S born abt 1870, Longton, Staffordshire which is about 3 miles SSE of Hanley. She was down as a lunatic.

Ref RG13, 3180,146,13.

Evie

Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 09 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Evie,

Thank you so much for your reply. I've had a look at the image and it could be her. I suppose the next thing to do is to find out whether there are any surviving records for patients of that Asylum, so I can know for sure. Thank you again!

Zoe
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 August 09 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe

There was a Lillian Sharman married a Frederick Spencer at East Retford in 1909 but I cannot yet see them in 1911 to check if this Lillian comes from Staffordshire. I also haven't checked to see if this L S is still residing in Nottingham in 1911.

By the way, lovely photograph :)
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Evie! Both Edgar and Violet were lovely from all that I've heard, I know more about them than my other Great-Grandparents and their siblings. Edgar died in battle in WW1 but he must have been special, all of the generations who followed him have been told about him and all of us refer to him as Uncle Edgar. Violet was a very strong person, she had a few setbacks later in life but remained kind natured and a devoted mother to 8 children. I think she was very striking as a young lady, I like her sleepy looking eyes in all of the photographs I've seen of her.

I like your photograph of Barnaby by the way, he looks very sweet and innocent!

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 August 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Zoe

I found this link on the Nottinghamshire resource board. It might be worth getting in touch with them about the 1901 census for L. S. I haven't been able to find anything more about her unfortunately.

http://www.nottscc.gov.uk/

Evie
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 June 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
The Lillian married in Retford was born in Clarborough, Notts.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Hydes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 October 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, not sure if I have the right violet sherman but by any chance do you know who her children were??
Wilkie
Docherty
O'hare
Bell
Colquhoun

Offline LianneY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
I have just started looking at my Sharmans tonight.
Many of the names are the same as you mention.
My Robert Sharman born 1819 married Sarah.
Eldest child was called George Sharman, born 1842.