Author Topic: Laidley / Braidfute Sanquhar  (Read 3268 times)

Offline suzywong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laidley / Braidfute Sanquhar
« on: Sunday 16 August 09 21:52 BST (UK) »
I've hit a dead-end and would appreciate any help.

My G(x4) grandfather was David Laidley (Laidlaw) of Sanquhar B? D @ 1822.  He was a ploughman, then farmer on various properties (1793-1805 S Mains Farm, Sanquhar; 1806-1811 Auchenleggart, Sanquhar; 1811-1822 Glenside of Marnaham, Dalrymple, Ayrshire).

His wife was Isabella Braidfoot (Braidfute, Bradefute), I believe Isabella was the daughter of Alexander Braidfute and Jacobina Graham - but this info came from rootsweb, and I can't validate it.  Isabella may (for some unknown reason) have emigrated to Ontario, Canada, apparently leaving David in Scotland.

Any information, or any pointers of where to look would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Offline laidley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Laidley / Braidfute Sanquhar
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 15 01:33 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if you were able to get information on this family. They had a son John Hewitt Laidley who was my GGG grandfather married to Hannah Elisabeth Hewston-/Houghston

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 May 15 02:21 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the spelling as BROADFOOT?

A good number of "Isabella Broadfoot Dumfries" hits on a Google search, including some with the name Laidly! 

Jeanne 😄
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 15 03:15 BST (UK) »
David Laidlaw and Isabella Broadfoot's children in the IGI

James ch 10 Feb 1793,  Sanquhar
Robert ch 15 June 1800,  Sanquhar
Margaret  b 14th November 1804, ch 18th November 1804, Sandquhar
Alexander  b 10th July 1807, ch26 July 1807, Sandquhar
William ch 28th January 1798,  Sandquhar
David  b 21th September 1809, ch 24th September 1809, Sandquhar

I would suggest using the pay site Scotlandspeople.gov.uk and checking the census if you can't get any further
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline runacrossthesea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 June 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hello all - this thread hasn't been added to in a few years but, just in case there is someone out there & interested, I wonder if anyone has managed to find any more about David Laidley/Laidlaw of Sanquhar, Dumfriesshire, or his ancestors (ie. prior to about 1770 when he is supposed to have been born)? I have a family tree which just says James Laidlaw (1730) (?) and pay websites just seem to run out before 1770.

Also anything on the antecedents of Isabella Broadfoot, his wife (also born about 1770 in South Mains, Sanquhar, Scotland).  There is some confusion as to whether her parents were Alexander Bradfute & Jacobina Graham or James Broadfoot of South Mains.

I'm also interested in where they went after leaving South Mains, which appears to have been around 1805.  Suzywong suggested David was a ploughman or similar and ended up in Dalrymple, Ayrshire, but not sure where this info comes from.  Certainly their son, William, married a Janet Boyd in Craigie, Ayrshire, in 1820-22.  After that I pretty clear as to the family line.

Many thanks for any help. 

Offline suzywong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 September 19 21:21 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the (extended) delay in responding!  I didn't get a notification about updates to posts as I missed the last one from 2017! 

So in response to runacrossthesea - I got the information on David Laidlaw/ Laidley's occupation, and geographic locations from William Laidlaw's birth certificate and the 1911 census. 

Residence:
1793-1805 S Mains Farm, Sanquhar
1806-1811 Auchenleggart, Sanquhar
1811-1822 Glenside of Marnaham, Dalrymple, Ayrshire.

After that point, births, deaths, marriages and census data has enabled me to trace the tree to current day.  Patriarchal line is as follows:

David Laidlaw Bc.1770 - c.1822 Dalrymple, Ayrshire (Ploughman then farmer)
William Laidlaw B 1798 S Mains Farm, Sanquhar D 1871 Tarbolton (Farm Labourer - Carter)
John Laidlaw B 1836 Craigie, Ayrshire, D 1896 Hazelbank, Lanarkshire (Carter & horsedealer)
James Robert Laidlaw B1871 Tarbolton, D 1941 Hamilton (horsebreaker, carter, steelworker)
Walter Roper Laidlaw B1910 Dalziel, Motherwell. D1993 Motherwell.
Cameron Walter Laidlaw B1949 Motherwell.  (my dad)

I'm very fortunate in my line of the Laidlaw family tree, as they commonly used their mother and grandparent surnames as middle names for their children which makes life a lot easier when cross referencing and verifying information.  Also my grandfather often told us that his great grandfather was a horsebreaker from Tarbolton so I was looking for the horse connection throughout!