Author Topic: 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
« on: Monday 17 August 09 11:04 BST (UK) »
In the work I am carrying out on a WW1 Roll of Honour of Scotland's Dead, I have now completed the 50 or so 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. I have one query that I have not been able to resolve and I wondered if anyone might be able to help.

Lance Corporal James Kerr Stewart, age 28, died 23/03/1916, Service No S/11070. He is shown as the son of H V and J K Stewart, of 144, 61st Street West, Vancouver, British Columbia. Of Dunfermline, Scotland.

I would like to establish if he went to Canada with his parents and returned from Canada to enlist, or did his parents enter Canada after the war.

Appreciate any assistance.

Alistair

Offline mandmsports

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 'Stewarts' in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Alisyair,

There is an Argyll and Southerland Highlanders in Canada, as well. They are in Hamilton, Ontario.  http://argylls.ca/

Mike
Gander, Surrey and Sussex
Harper, Kent, Somerset
Eastes, Kent
Harris, Wales, Newfoundland, Bristol
Brennan, County Cork
Davis, County Armagh
Widdis, Ireland
McNevin, Argylshire
Capen, Dorset, Mass, Vermont, NB,

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Alisyair,

There is an Argyll and Southerland Highlanders in Canada, as well. They are in Hamilton, Ontario.  http://argylls.ca/

Mike

Mike

Thanks for that.

This man was definitely in the British Argylls and is recorded as such on the CWGC Roll.

Alistair

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 August 09 02:37 BST (UK) »
I think I'm making some headway with your search. There is a Henry and Jane Stewart on the 1891 Scotland census in Dunfermline who had a son named James who was the right age (although his birth registration has the name James Brown Stewart - still it isn't unheard of for the names to be changed). The family also had a daughter named Margaret (she was actually illegitimate and her birth registration is listed as Margaret Brown - no father listed) and William. I found Henry and Jane's marriage registration from 1883 and Jane is listed as Jean Kerr Brown on it. There is a death registration in the BC death index at the BC Archives for a Jane Ker Brown Stewart who died in Vancouver on 17 Nov 1932 at the age of 80. I'm still looking for confirmation that this is the correct family and for passenger list entries but failing that I do believe that the death registration would indicate how long Jane was in Canada for and there are people here who do BC look-ups.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 August 09 03:14 BST (UK) »
I found a passenger list entry for Jane Kerr Stewart travelling alone. She arrived in Quebec on the Canada on 16 May 1919. The passenger list indicates that she was going to her married daughter, Mrs. Jack at 144 - 16 Avenue West, Vancouver which is pretty close to the address you listed. Here's a link to the passenger list at Library and Archives Canada (first on the page):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e145/e003604587.jpg

I found a marriage for a Margret Brown Stewart to Hugh Jack at the BC Archives marriage database which occurred on 2 Apr 1914.

I found Jane with sons James and William in Edinburgh on the 1901 census. Jane is listed as the head. The birth places and ages for the family match the 1891 census so I'm sure they are the same Stewarts. I can't find a death for Henry. Do you think the entry for James had both Vancouver and Dunfermline listed because Henry died in Dunfermline and Jane had moved to Vancouver?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 August 09 04:00 BST (UK) »
Eureka! I found a passenger list entry for Hugh Jack. He was aboard the Regina which departed from Greenock and arrived in Quebec on 21 Aug 1925. His address on the passenger list is 144 - 61st Ave W, Vancouver. He was returning from visiting his mother in Avoch.

So here's the chronology - In Fife, Jane Brown gives birth to Maggie Brown in 1879 then marries Henry Stewart in 1883. They have two sons William (born about 1886) and James (born 1887). The family is on the 1891 census in Dunfermline. Jane and her two sons move to Edinburgh and are listed there on the 1901 census. Henry likely died or left the family between 1891 and 1901 as Jane is listed as head of household. Maggie/Margaret emigrates to Canada where she marries Hugh Jack in Vancouver in 1914. Jane joins her daughter in Vancouver in 1919 and dies there in 1932. So it would seem that James Stewart did not live in Canada.

Jacquie

Offline Cramond Brig

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 August 09 09:03 BST (UK) »
Eureka! I found a passenger list entry for Hugh Jack. He was aboard the Regina which departed from Greenock and arrived in Quebec on 21 Aug 1925. His address on the passenger list is 144 - 61st Ave W, Vancouver. He was returning from visiting his mother in Avoch.

So here's the chronology - In Fife, Jane Brown gives birth to Maggie Brown in 1879 then marries Henry Stewart in 1883. They have two sons William (born about 1886) and James (born 1887). The family is on the 1891 census in Dunfermline. Jane and her two sons move to Edinburgh and are listed there on the 1901 census. Henry likely died or left the family between 1891 and 1901 as Jane is listed as head of household. Maggie/Margaret emigrates to Canada where she marries Hugh Jack in Vancouver in 1914. Jane joins her daughter in Vancouver in 1919 and dies there in 1932. So it would seem that James Stewart did not live in Canada.

Jacquie

Jacquie

What can I say!! You are tenacity personified.

That would make the CWGC entry a little misleading where it says "son of H V and J K Stewart, of 144, 61st Street West, Vancouver, British Columbia." It should have indicated that that H V was not living at that address.

Thanks for all the help.

Now, back to the Argylls - I have just finished 'T'.

Alistair

Offline kay2014

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 June 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
I'm new to the forum, so by mistake have posted this message  on another thread regarding James Stewart.

I am a relative of William Stewart from Dunfermline S/11869. I have a hand written letter by William asking his relatives back home to write to a James Stewart S/11070 8th Platoon , 2nd A & S Highlanders.  We  believe that the James you are discussing is the brother to our William Stewart.
We also have family letters from Canada written by H Jack informing us of the death within the family.
The only difference we can find is that we have the parents names down as Henry and Jean Stewart.
Any information would be great to help us continue our family tree.