Author Topic: Anthony Perrier JP  (Read 55343 times)

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anthony Perrier JP
« on: Tuesday 18 August 09 16:55 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Anthony Perrier of Lota, Cork, son of Sir Anthony Perrier.  Also anything on his wife Charlotte Hickman nee Roome.

Thanks.

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Perrier JP
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi , got the following info from a book in library,

"Sir Anthony Perrier (1770-1845) born Dublin son of Sir Anthony Perrier (1712-1772) merchant, the younger brother of Sir David Perrier. He became a freeman of Cork in 1792 and was operator of the Spring Lane distillary from 1806 - a plant which was owned by David.In 1822 he patented one of Europe's first continuous whiskey stills,but  it was not a success. He served as a County magistrate for 37 years and was the treasurer of the Pipe Water Company. He served as Mayor of Cork in 1820/21.  In 182 he was appointed as Cork Agent to the Atlas Assurance Company of London and operated out of 68 South Mall, Cork.The business was continued until 1825 by his son and grandson in turn. He was knighted by the Lord Lieutenant the Duke of Richmond on his visit to Cork in 1829, when Perrier was high sherrif. He died at his South Mall residence and was buried at St. Peter' s Graveyard, North Main Street. His remains were later interred in St. Lukes, Douglas, Cork"
No mention of his wife or his children's names. Is this your Anthony?

There was also a write up on his brother David (1765-1Dec 1826) who worked at Burnetts Glasshouse Company, Hanover Street renowned glassworks.
He is buried at St. Nicholas Churchyard , Cork.

I have photos of all of the above church yards if you want me to send them to you.

Mary
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 March 10 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Thanks very much the information it's really appreciated.  I would love the pictures of the church yards but I haven't used Rootschat very often, although I will in future, and I must be stupid because I can't figure out how to send a private message.

Regards
Jill

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 March 10 22:53 GMT (UK) »
While searching in the Library today I came across an write up about Ballinure House in Blackrock associated with the Perrier family. The following is a quote from a book by Richard Henchion called "East to Mahon".  "The Perriers were among the leading civic and commercial families in Cork in the 19century. Thre first into Ireland about 1685 was Mark Du Perrier, a Huguenot from Caen, Brittany fleeing religious persecution in his native land. He settled in Dublin.

In 1776 the family forged a Cork link when Mrs. Anthony Perrier was left a widow with 8 children under  twenty.  She felt she needed the support of her mother's connections, The Spillers of Ross and the Stawells of Coolmanin and she removed from Dublin to be close to them.

Sir David Perrier (1765-1826) glass manufacturer, sugar refiner, paper maker and distiller who has been considered in connection with the Ballintemple Corporation, was one of Mrs. Perrier's sons. So too was George (1767-1850) who married as his second wife in 1833 Mrs. Deane, who, however, does not appear to have been a connection of Sir. Thomas of Dundanion.  So also was Anthony (1770-1845) later Sir Anthon.  One of Anthony's 16 children married John Osborne M.D. Lindville Asylum, while his eldest son William Lumley (1805-1895) resided in Ballinure House.

Wm. L. Perrier wiggled his way onto the City Council. He was an Alderman, a J.P and High Sheriff in 1832/3. He stepped into the Insurance business that his father put together making it his life's career. He married in  1831 Anna Lumley of Douglas House who died at Alma Ville, Ballintemple in 1897.  They and their daughter lived at Ballinure between 1850 and 1930.  They had two sons the second of whom, Wm. Lumley Jnr (1839-1885) took the insurance business into the third generation. The family had the proud motto "Consilio et Vi" (Courtesy and Strength).  Wm.Snr was also a director of the Cork and Bandon Rly, Hon  Sec and Hon Treas. of Skiddys Almshouse, Shandon Street, a director of the Commercial Blds. on the South Mall and a Borough Magistrate.

Ballinure House was still standing, though unoccupied in 1980. It was a ruin in 1992 and demolished soon after.  Some specimens of chestnut, elm, holly, plane, palm and Araucaria better known as Monkey Puzzle or the Norfolk Pine, still survive to remind the passerby of other folk and different times"

The areas listed above are mostly in the Blackrock suburb of Cork City.  Some interesting facts there about the Perriers and the motto is interesting.
The fact that the Spillers of Ross, and the Stawells of Coolmain - an area near Kilbrittain Co Cork were relations of Mrs. Anthony Perrier might give you some clue to her relations.

Hope this is some help

Mary

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
 On page 58 of  THE HUGUENOT SETTLEMENTS in IRELAND, by Grace Lawless Lee, you will find a page on PERRIERS.    Anthony, born 1770 . His daughter married a  grandson of JULIUS BESNARD, Sail Cloth Manufacturer of Blackrock, Cork, and Julius was  my 4 times great grandfather.There are several mentions of Perriers in this book.

Lorraine
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline jidian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 March 10 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Thanks again for the information, great history on the family.  I have found the copy of the marriage certificate for the Anthony Perrier I have been looking for.  Anthony Perrier Esq. son of Sir Anthony Perrier, Knight married Charlotte Hickman Widow daughter of Major General Henry Broome on 4th October 1853 at St.George's Church, Hanover Square, London.

Regards
Jill

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 March 10 15:49 GMT (UK) »
To Lorc & Jidian,

Hi folks,

Just back from a beautiful day in Cobh, Co Cork. A gorgeous sunny day.  Better than the Med!!!  Took lots of photos of the Clonmel Graveyard in Cobh ( where the Lusitania memorial is situated) and called in to St. Luke' s Church and Cemetery in Douglas on the way home. 

Looking for any relevant headstones.  Found a Perrier one and also one for Julius Cesar Besnard.  If either of you want to PM me I can centainly send the grave photos to you.  Must upload them first.  Just recharging my camera.

Also Lorc I have lots of other photos which I think would be of intererst to you re the Lindsays from St. Finbarrs Catherdral Cemetery and also St. Peters in Carrigrohane. 

Always on look out for anything interesting and relevant for all the Rootschatters!!

Mary

Offline LORC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 March 10 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary/Celtic Liberty. Look forward to photos.

Lorraine/Lorc
RADLEY  LINDSEY  ARMSTRONG BESNARD BEECHER/BECHER  WARREN CROOKE NASH LEAHY BARRY  COOPER  .JERVOIS  BALDWIN.  LEADER....CORK

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 March 10 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,

I found the family burial plot of Anthony Perrier in St. Lukes Cemetery in Douglas.  It has a stone plaque on the wall " The burial place of Anthony Perrier and family" but not details.  Also have another Perrier headstone.

The Besnard grave that I found for Lorraine - the memorial was actually erected by Julia & Georgina Perrier in fond rememberance of their dearly loved sister Jane ( Besnard).  Jane Perrier obviously married Julius Perrier.   If you want me to send you the photos send me a PM with your email address.

Mary