Author Topic: Henry Anthony Birrell  (Read 10093 times)

Offline derekturner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Anthony Birrell
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 22:55 BST (UK) »
The family moved to Ox/Bucks, lived at Long Crendon Bucks in 1901, moved to High St Thame Oxon by 1911.  HA senior articled clerk in High Wycmbe before enlisting. HA senior commanded the reserve battalion f the Mnmouths. HA junior served in the 1st battalion of same regiment but was killed at Ypres in 1915.  He appears on various war memorials in Thame. His mother died in 1918 and his father in 1922.  As HA junior was the onlly childe this branch of the family died out.  Visit the Thame Remembers website for more details
Summerhayes, Currie, Ward, Turner

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Derek
Thanks for the information.
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline derekturner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:03 BST (UK) »
I should have added that HA senior almost certainly founded and endowed the Anthony Birrell Cup  competition after WW1, probably in memory of his son and/or wife.  I have not yet discovered exactly what this was, but definitely for something sporting, possibly an inter-school competition for schools in the local area.  Amongst other things I am part-time archivist at Lord Williams's School Thame. I'm there tomorrow and if I find anything more about the competition I'll let you know.

Derek
Summerhayes, Currie, Ward, Turner

Offline billyjoejimbob

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 February 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
It was fascinating reading some of the information so kindly produced by others. I have lived in Silure Villa for the last 20 years and have always intrigued to learn more of the history of the house and previous owners. Whilst I knew of some of this, the detail was much appreciated. Of the more colorful history that I have learnt, during the 1960's/70's, the house also had a reputation as being a staging post for some of the girlfriends of the officers at nearby Beachly barracks. I only learnt this having bumped into a local verger who lived here as a married couple and lent the place an air of respectability!