Author Topic: Joel KNIGHT family, Yarcombe, Devon, 1840s and earlier  (Read 17422 times)

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spiller (Re: Joel KNIGHT family, Yarcombe, Devon, 1840s and earlier)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Andy -

I thought I submitted a reply to your message, but it didn't appear, so I guess I didn't complete the submission.

It looks like you and I are related through Joan Spiller (b. b. 08 Aug 1725, Yarcombe) and her husband Benjamin Knight (b. 19 Feb 1716, Yarcombe.)  I have my family tree on Ancestry.com as a Public Member.  If it would work for you, I can send you an invitation, through Ancestry.com, to be able to view it, without the need to have an Ancestry.com account for the USA/Worldwide.

If you would like that, I can send you a personal message through this forum so we may exchange personal email addresses.  Let me know if that would be acceptable to you.

Relatively speaking . . .
Your cousin (or something), Jean_E, Missouri, USA
Ball - Staffordshire
Barr - Renfrewshire, Scotland
Barrington - Naas or Rosetown, Kildare, Ireland
Batstone - Yarcombe, Devon
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
McAllister - Antrim, Ireland
Pinkerton - Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland
Simcock - Staffordshire
Ward - Lanarkshire, Scotland
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Joel KNIGHT family, Yarcombe, Devon, 1840s and earlier
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 02:46 GMT (UK) »
For anyone with Yarcombe ancestry there is a wealth of Parish Chest material available at Devon RO, particularly Settlement Examinations, Apprenticeship Indentures etc. Go to TNA website at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/  select Advanced search and enter Settlement and place;  select Devon Record Office in the Repository and click Search.  You may be pleasantly surprised with the amount of items available, some of which will undoubtedly be 'must haves' if you want to put some meat on your ancestors' bones ........ ;D
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BluePenguin0

• RootsChat Extra
  • Lillte blue penguins rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cousin Jean,
I cant seem to post a PM, so my email address is

Would love to see your family tree to see how it fits in with mine.
Thanx,
Andy

Moderator Comment: email address removed as per RootsChat policy. Personal email addrsses are not permitted in any form

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 November 10 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello to Andy Spiller -

The Moderator sent me a personal message with your personal email address, which had to be removed from your public message.  I sent you an invitation from Ancestry.com to my Knight and Ogden Families, Waupaca, Wis. family tree.  Let me know if you got the invitation or not and if you had any problems accessing the family tree. 

All the best -
Your cousin through the Spiller connection, Jean_E, Missouri
Ball - Staffordshire
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
Simcock - Staffordshire
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline Knights rule

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 10 September 11 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean
I believe we are distantly related. My 3xGt Grandparents were Abraham Knight and Mary Loosemore from Yarcombe. Abraham had a son John who married Elizabeth Sparkes - my 2 x Gt Grandparents. Joel and Robert were John's brothers.   
John had a son also John who married Harriett Collins - my Gt Grandparents.
John's youngest son was Frederick Levi Knight my grandfather borne around 1860.
Frederick was married twice. His first wife Martha died. They had 2 children that I know about. he remarried Annie Bradford who was my grandmother. My Mother Ethel  was their youngest daughter borne 1915.

This following website and page may be of interest as it has info on the yarcombe knights
http://www.loosemore.co.uk/Tree/wc06/wc06_484.htm

The two Johns and Frederick lived in Curland Somerset  Nr Taunton., The list of baptisms below follows the families.
http://www.parkhouse.org.uk/transcr/curland%20all%20saints%20SOM%20UK%20baptisms%201710-1900.pdf
Hope this is of interest
Regards Phil

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 September 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello from across The Pond, Cousin!  :D

We are related. I've have the surnames of Loosemore and Spark(e)(s) more than once in my family tree. I will update my tree with the information you have given me. I had no information for children of Abraham Knight and Mary Loosemore, for one thing. After Abraham passed away (abt. 1805) she married a John Doble. I do not yet have a death date or location for her either. From what I can tell, some of the Knight contingent from Devon immigrated to Australia, too, along with some Doble kin.

It looks like every family line and every generation named sons John, Robert and Joel. My immigrant ancestor, Joel Knight, was b. 1829, Yarcombe. His parents: Joel Knight (1785-1858, Yarcombe) and Mary Bright (b. 1791, Yarcombe.) The parents of Joel Knight (b. 1795): Joel Knight (1751-1837, Yarcombe) and Elizabeth Spark(e) (1762-1820, Yarcombe.) That Joel Knight (1851-1837) was one of your Abraham's older brothers! Besides their brother Robert, I have some info on their other siblings: Betty, Benjamin(e), Anne, and Elizabeth.

My immigrant ancestor, Joel Knight, and a 1st cousin, Caroline Dunn, married and left soon after by ship to the USA, landing at the Port of New York, and in a few years earning money to buy farm land in Wisconsin. His brother Robert William Knight, Robert's wife, Anne Locke, and their 2 children (at the time), plus a brother and a sister (I think) of Caroline's all left on the same ship. Robert and his family owned a farm next to Joel's in Waupaca County, Wisconsin. It's very pretty country with rolling glacial hills, sandy/rocky soil, lots of pine and hardwoods (that the lumber companies cut down in the 1840s), and many little glacier-created spring-fed lakes.

I will send you a personal message via Rootschat, with my direct email address. I have my Knight family tree (Knight and Ogden Families, Waupaca, Wis.) as a Public Member family tree on Ancestry.com. I can send you an invitation so you can see it, even if you do not subscribe to Ancestry.com.

One key for me in my long-distance family tree research was my maternal grandfather, Claude Joel Knight, saying that his paternal grandfather, Joel (the immigrant) said there always had been someone named Joel "forever" in the Knight line. He was SO right.

Anyway, besides me in the St. Louis, Missouri area (right now), you have cousins in Ohio, near Dayton, northern Kentucky, and Virginia. One young Virginia cousin even has his mother's maiden name, Knight, as a given name. No Joels in any successive generations, however.

Relatively yours, and watch for my personal message through Rootschat.
Jean_E, St. Louis, Missouri
Ball - Staffordshire
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
Simcock - Staffordshire
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 September 11 18:46 BST (UK) »
Correction - typo on a date:

That Joel Knight (1751-1837) was one of your Abraham's older brothers! Besides their brother Robert, I have some info on their other siblings: Betty, Benjamin(e), Anne, and Elizabeth.

Sigh. . .  :-[
Jean_E., St. Louis, Missouri
Ball - Staffordshire
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
Simcock - Staffordshire
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline Jim Blower

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 19:55 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any links or leads pertaining to the following:

Maria J. Pilkington, who married William Knight - 1844. William came from Coola Lodge, Kilmague Co Kildare. Maria was daughter of Abraham J. Pilkington of Kilbride Castle, Westmeath, Ireland.
Thanks.
Jim Blower, Canada

(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 October 11 21:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help you. All of my Knight ancestors in the British Isles seem to  have come from Yarcombe, Devon and environs and not Ireland.
Ball - Staffordshire
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
Simcock - Staffordshire