Author Topic: Hughes Family, Coalisland  (Read 13494 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes Family, Coalisland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 11 March 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how much research you've done in Irish records but much is now online (and in most cases free)- 1901 and 1911 census, civil records (births, marriages and deaths under civil registration), Griffith's Valuation and the Valuation Revision Books which start from the printed version of Griffith's until c1930), etc.

Google Streetview also covers much of Northern Ireland which will allow you to 'visit' places online before you come looking for them in person.
This will give you the boundaries of Derrytresk townland-
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/dungannon-middle/clonoe/derrytresk/

This may be your Peter Hughes-
Irish Times (Dublin), 26 Nov.1913: ... afternoon in King’s Island National School, about four miles from Stewartstown, schoolgirl, aged five years, daughter of Peter Hughes, Derrytresk, lost her life. During the play hour she returned the scboolroom with another child named Fitzgerald, and while standing ...

Northern Whig (Belfast), 26 Nov.1913:  WHERE THE FIRE GUARD on? Monday, at King’s Island National School, near Stewartstown, child of five, daughter of Peter Hughes, Derrytresk, was warming herself the fire —an ordinary open ? —her clothes became ignited, and moments she was enveloped in flames ...

Mid-Ulster Mail (Cookstown): Derrytresk National School, near Coalisland, whereby a school girl aged four years, named Kate Hughes, daughter of Peter Hughes, Derrytresk, lost her life. The day was cold and stormy, during play hour, feeling cold, the child returned to the schoolroom...

Same sad story reported in other papers. Death certificate gives her name as Annie not Kate-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1913/05321/4481133.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jean_E

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes Family, Coalisland - Reply to Optyknox Message
« Reply #19 on: Monday 12 March 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
@Optyknox

The Hughes family I am researching for my significant other is this one:

Information from:
1901 Ireland Census; National Archives of Ireland
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Tullyniskane/Coal_Island/1737842/
and other sources

Father: John Hughes (born: about 1855, County Tyrone, Ireland, United Kingdom)
Mother: Catherine Hughes (maiden name may also have been Hughes) (born: about 1856, County Tyrone, Ireland, United Kingdom)

Children, all born in County Tyrone, Ireland, United Kingdom; All Roman Catholic:
- Son, Joseph (born: about 1886; actual birth date MAY have been: 21 May 1885)
- Daughter, Sarah (born: about 1888; date of christening MAY have been 28 May 1887, at Clonoe
       Parish Roman Catholic Church, christened name MAY have been Sarah Jane)
- Daughter, Ellen (born: about 1889, per 1901 Ireland census; born: 27 Mar 1889, Derrytresk,
        Coalisland, County Tyrone, Ireland, United Kingdom, per death record, christening record,
        and Ireland Civil Registration record; Christened: 28 Mar 1889, Clonoe Parish Roman Catholic
        Church); Immigrated to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA aboard the ship Merion, arriving 17
        Apr 1910; Married Joseph McNally about 1911, per 1930 U.S. Federal Census; (died: 26 Sep
        1960, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA)
- Son, Patrick (birth 30 Oct 1890) Christened: 4 Nov 1890 (death: about 1909
- Son, John (born: POSSIBLY 1892)
- Daughter, Annie [Anna] (born: 2 Dec 1895, Derrytresk, Coalisland, County Tyrone, Ireland,
         United Kingdom); Immigrated to Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA aboard
         ship Haverford out of Liverpool, England, arriving 16 Sep 1912; Married Francis Patrick O’Neill
         in 1915 at Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA; (died: 19 Nov 1948,
         Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA)
- Daughter, Bridget (born: 16 Jan 1898); Christened: 11 Feb 1898, Gortgonis, Coalisland, County
         Tyrone, Ireland, United Kingdom; Married Alexander Brady, Mar 1919, Dungannon, County
         Tyrone, Ireland, United Kingdom; (died: 5 May 1971, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland)

Best wishes with your research at Coalisland.

Jean
Ball - Staffordshire
Barr - Renfrewshire, Scotland
Barrington - Naas or Rosetown, Kildare, Ireland
Batstone - Yarcombe, Devon
Bright - Yarcombe, Devon
Dunn - Yarcombe, Devon
Hamilton - Ireland
Knight - Yarcombe, Devon
McAllister - Antrim, Ireland
Pinkerton - Ballymoney, Antrim, Ireland
Simcock - Staffordshire
Ward - Lanarkshire, Scotland
Coyle - Ireland
Hughes - Tyrone, Ireland
O'Neill - Ireland

Offline wonna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 23 January 21 02:30 GMT (UK) »
I am researching George Campbell and Sarah Jane Campbell parents of Catherine Campbell b1868 (married Peter Hughes) and James Campbell b1869 (married Ellen Hughes in USA).  My Campbell great grandfather George migrated to Australia born Tullyodonnell, Desertcreight parish. Father Hugh, mother Sarah McGahan.  The only firm links we have are DNA matches to the descendants of James Campbell and Ellen Hughes.  I am keen to find more on George and Sarah Jane and haven't been able to find a marriage record though I see some state 1860.  First child I have found baptised is Mary b 1865 d 1866 Derrytresk.  Also haven't found records for deaths of Peter Hughes and Catherine Campbell on Irish civil records site.  Valuation revision books suggest that land occupied by George Campbell of Derrytresk was occupied by Felix Wallace in the time period following George Campbell's death in 1879 (Sarah died in 1875)  Felix Wallace was married to Sarah Campbell (father Hugh).  Interested in family connections and also what may have happend to George and Sarah's children after their death.  Probate in 1896 shows letters of administration to daughter Catherine.  Any help or possible clues much appreciated.    Louise Wonnocott (nee Campbell)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 23 January 21 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Probate in 1896 shows letters of administration to daughter Catherine. 

Here's the full abstract from PRONI....https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx

Letters of Administration of the personal estate of George Campbell late of Derrytresk County Tyrone Farmer who died 11 January 1879 were granted at Armagh to Catherine Campbell of Derrytresk Spinster the Daughter. Effects £153 8s

They were Letters of Administration, not Probate.

KG

Edited to Add:
Date of Grant :   10 September 1896
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 23 January 21 12:55 GMT (UK) »
.....in the time period following George Campbell's death in 1879 (Sarah died in 1875)....... 

Sarah Jane Campbell died on 28th December 1895.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1896/05910/4677513.pdf

The Letters of Administration were granted on 10th September 1896.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 23 January 21 17:41 GMT (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline wonna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 January 21 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much to Kiltaglassen for your help and prompt replies.  Especially for pointing me to the correct death record for Sarah.    The 1875 record was the only one I was finding in my search despite using broad parameters - other family trees of descendant connections had the 1875 death and I had checked to verify and rule out any other possibilities.  I never take other tree information as so many are incorrect - quite a number on this line have multiple flaws in the trees.  I always do my own search but hadn't found any other likely deaths.  The 1895 death certainly makes more sense.  I have yet to find the marriage record for George and Sarah - will keep trawling the parish registers for this. 
I do have all the other census, birth and marriage records for the Catherine Campbell/Peter Hughes family from my research.   
Thank you again for you help and prompt response.