Author Topic: St Malo 1940  (Read 10711 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Malo 1940
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 February 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Alizar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 February 16 21:33 GMT (UK) »
@ScouseBoy I have tried convoyweb.  That and The War at Sea were where I got the convoy number but there is no information beyond the fact that the convoy existed and no reference I can find to a ship returning to Southampton.

Thank you Drew I will try over there.

Offline mollystree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 October 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I came across this thread by accident, and I realise it is several years old, but this might be of interest to somebody.
My father was evacuated from St Malo to Jersey in 1940. He was in the RAMC attached to a Canadian regiment. Many years ago we were on a family holiday in Jersey and took a boat trip to St Malo, which brought my Dad close to tears. He told us that the order had been given for "wounded and medics only" to get in the small boats, and he said the Canadian soldiers were left behind, with a bagpipe playing, as the German tanks rolled into town. I took this to mean that they were taken prisoner, but I know nothing more about that. He never talked about it before or since that day, although he did talk quite a lot about his time in North Africa, Egypt and the Holy Land later in the war.
Hope that helps someone!

Offline hunter123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Jon,

On the off chance that you are still reading replies on this thread, can you let me know if you still have the diaries mentioned.  I am doing some research on St Malo in June 1940 and your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip

Thank you everyone for adding all this extra information.  I was lucky enough to be given copies of diaries kept by 2 of the crew of RFC113 by the families of Bill Cox (Master) and Clary Glendewar (Engineer) The other crew members were Ted Cox and Harry Le Boutillier and a RN Radio Officer (unknown) So I can confirm that RFC113 was the last boat to leave St Malo under the command of Commander (later Admiral) Howard Johnston on the 18th June 1940.  RFC113 made 2 trips to St Malo on the 17th and 18th June and shepherded the Jersey Yacht Club volunteers home taking one boat in tow along the way.  RFC113 only left on the 18th after Commander Howard Johnston and his men had successfully demolised the port and rendered it unusable to the approaching German Army. On this final trip they carried various evacuating servicemen and at least one female, a school teacher.

Very happy to keep sharing and adding to the information in the public domain with everyone, so pleased the story keeps growing - do you think RFC113 was the boat your father was on Chris ?

I have attached a  press report published in the Straits Times in 1940 about the event.

Offline hunter123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Drew,

Are you still collecting War Diaries from the June 1940 period in France.

Please let me know if you are still following this thread as your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip

Ships which sailed from St. Malo as part of Op Aerial berthed at Southampton, Weymouth, Plymouth and Jersey.

Sourced from BEF Ships, before, at and after Dunkirk by John de S. Winser.

Just shout if you need anymore help - France and Flanders in 1940 is my thing with over 700 BEF war diaries, around 500 BEF related files and 200 ish books on the subject from Regimental Histories to Campaign books in my collection ;)

Offline hunter123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 October 23 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I just came across the Rootschat site with your query about St Malo in 1940.
I have recently acquired an old British Powerboat Company Express Cruiser built in 1938 which was in use as an Air Sea Rescue boat in 1940 stationed at Jersey.  The boat was named RFC113 (after its original owner who was in WW1 in the RFC, Squadron 113). On May 31st, the boat was ordered to join the Fleet at Portsmouth for the Dunkirk evacuations and thence to join in the excavuation of North West France and the Channel Islands. RFC113 was, I believe, the absolute last to leave on Tuesday the 18th June, along with the Duchess of Normandie - they left as the Germans were arriving. I believe RFC113 was then used in the operation to demolish the St Malo harbour with Clarence 'Johnny' Howard Johnston on board.  RFC113 stayed to observe the effect of the demolition and then headed to mainland UK.
I don't know if this helps you at all but please let me know if you want to follow this up - I am also keen to learn about anything you might be able to add to the picture?

Cheers

Jon

Are you still following this very old thread?  I would be interested in corresponding.

Philip