Author Topic: BROGAN family from Co.CLARE to Australia  (Read 41459 times)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
Re: BROGAN family from Co.CLARE to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 November 11 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Not related at all Joy, just thought it might be useful for anyone looking for a James Brogan to Australia.
PM

Offline germc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
The Brogan I am researching came from Scarriff also so good chance there is a connection, but his is of 1 of the Brogans who remained on in the locality. do you know what the charge was for, had come on some info involing Brogan and a guy from Mounthannon I think it was

Offline Joy Conroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 11 23:17 GMT (UK) »
James Brogan and others were tried for the attempted murder of Philip Reade, Mountshannon, March 17th, 1824.
James Brogan, Patrick Durack, Anthony Boland, and Patrick Tuohy were to be excuted, their sentences were reprieved and they very sent as convicts to Australia.
Hope this helps
Joy

Offline K_Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 April 16 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi folk,
I'm looking for information on the following family line...

Bryan Brogan b ~1750 Belfast Antrim Northern Ireland. d. unknown. Married Penelope O’Brien ~1791 Ireland.

Had son:
James Brogan b. 1791 Maymooth Parish Copperbrawn County Clare, Ireland. Migrated to Australia as a convict (needing clarification on this point). d. 7 Feb 1871. Married Elleinor Horan. 

Had son:
Peter Brogan b. 1818 County Claire, Ireland. Immigration 23 Dec 1835 Sydney NSW Australia. d. 10 March 1886 Spring Valley NSW and Margaret Elizabeth Clune, 21 Feb 1848 Yass, NSW.

Had son:
Bryan James Joseph Brogan b. 4 Feb 1855 Spring Valley NSW Australia. d. 1 Mar 1896 St George Qld. Drowned. Married Esther O’Brien 2 Jul 1875 Goulburn NSW.

Had daughter:
Marcella Brogan b. 3 Sep 1875 Goulburn NSW d. 2 Nov 1947 Goulburn NSW Australia. Married John Henry Humphries (b. ~1868 Goulburn NSW d. ~ 1933 Young NSW) in 1894 Goulburn NSW.

Had the following children:
1.   Eileen Mary Humphries b. 1895 Goulburn NSW
2.   Kathleen Vera Humphries b. 1896 Goulburn NSW
3.   John Francis Humphries b. 1897 Goulburn NSW
4.   Mary Ellen Humphries b. Sep 1900 Goulburn NSW
5.   Herbert James Humphries b. 1904 Goulburn NSW
6.   Henry Austin Humphries b. 7 Oct 1907 Goulburn NSW
7.   Eric Leo Humphries b. 1911 Goulburn NSW
8.   Iris Margaret Humphries b. 1916 Goulburn NSW

Kathleen Vera Humphries b. 1896 Goulburn, NSW. d. December 1974, Waratah NSW. Married Walter Joseph Clancy in 1918, Goulburn NSW.

Had daughter:
Jean Kathleen Clancy b. 8 May 1919, Goulburn NSW d. 10 May 2012, Cardiff NSW. Married Early Kennedy McNaughton March 1940, Waratah NSW.

If anybody here has information on this family line, particularly in relation to the convict information re: James, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Kind regards,
Kim.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 April 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi folk,
I'm looking for information on the following family line...

Bryan Brogan b ~1750 Belfast Antrim Northern Ireland. d. unknown. Married Penelope O’Brien ~1791 Ireland.

Had son:
James Brogan b. 1791 Maymooth Parish Copperbrawn County Clare, Ireland. Migrated to Australia as a convict (needing clarification on this point). d. 7 Feb 1871. Married Elleinor Horan. 

Had son:
Peter Brogan b. 1818 County Claire, Ireland. Immigration 23 Dec 1835 Sydney NSW Australia. d. 10 March 1886 Spring Valley NSW and Margaret Elizabeth Clune, 21 Feb 1848 Yass, NSW.

I would question the accuracy of the Irish information you've posted. There is a Maynooth (hear Dublin) which is not near Co. Clare and Belfast is even further away from Clare.

Have you searched the Catholic Parish Registers yet? http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline K_Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 April 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks. No I hadn't searched myself. I found this information (with my direct ancestors) on A Brogan family here in Australia. I was hoping to clarify any cross-overs here, as the information on James Brogan being a convict and dates matched. But I too, questioned the reliability of the data as the convict record re: ship didn't match.

Thank you for the link. I'll follow up.

Kind regards,
Kim.

Offline Joy Conroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 April 16 23:15 BST (UK) »
Kim
What is the information you need for James Brogan convict, which I have a lot of information about.  I can be contacted directed if you wish (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Regards
Joy Conroy

Offline Joy Conroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 April 16 23:22 BST (UK) »
Kim
James Brogan born abt 1791 lived lived on five acres of rented land in Cappabane with his wife Ellen.  Cappabane Mountain Farm is in the parish of Tomgraney, Co Clare.

James trail No 688 has held in Galway where he was sentenced to death for break, enter and discharging a firearm in County Galway although he lived in County Clare adjacent. His sentence was commuted to transport for life to New South Wales occupation given as Farm Servant.

His parents were recorded on his death Cert as Bryan Brogan and Penelope O'Brien.

As far as I know there is no confirmation of the place where James was born.

James' brother Patrick arrived in NSW, he was Sponsored by James Brogan Snr, brother of Patrick Brogan 27 yrs & uncles of Michael 14 yrs & John 11 yrs Arrived on vessel China also with them was Michael Bogan 38yrs , a widow & his son James aged 17 another brother.
Regards
Joy Conroy

Offline Roachie44

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 June 16 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Joy, I see you're still playing around with the Brogan family tree.  How are you doing?  I had a recent amazing meeting up with a blood relative whom I had know for many years but didn't realise we both went back to James and Ellen.  This friend goes back to Bridget.  I'll tell you more if I hear from you.
Best wishes,
Brian Roach.