Author Topic: SCOTT's of Hawick  (Read 24293 times)

Offline FFS14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTT's of Hawick
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 October 16 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I am a Smeaton and my ancestors came from Hawick. My dates match during the time they stayed there. Could you tell me any info on Jane?

Kind regards
F Smeaton

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 October 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hello. I just got back from a week's holiday in the south of France today and am getting to grips with my emails.

I'm going to attach the death certificate of Jane Smeaton or Nicholson. Assuming I do it correctly, you will see that her "reputed father" is given as James Smeaton, a woollen knitwear worker. That could maybe be a new line of research for you? I don't think the name was all that common in Hawick.

Jane was one of the six illegitimate children of Martha Welsh, a seamstress in Hawick. I'm descended from her eldest child, James Stewart (her children all had different surnames!), who married a girl from Northern Ireland called Agnes Pettigrew.

Martha Welsh was born in 1803 in Wilton, Hawick, to Thomas Welsh, coachman to Gilbert Chisholm Esq. of Stirches, and his wife Jean Ballantyne. Thomas and Jean were married in 1795 in Glasgow. She was a "residenter" of Glasgow but Thomas was a soldier stationed there with the Hopetoun Fencibles, a sort of home guard regiment. I think he was the Thomas born in 1775 at Castleton in Roxb. to Thomas Welsh and Agnes Hall. Most of what I know about Thomas was gleaned from the Wanted notice published in the Edinburgh Courant and Kelso Mail in July 1808, when the procurator fiscal's office in Hawick were interested in his whereabouts (a long story).

Harry

P.S. I've just had a warning that I can't post the Jane Smeaton death certificate as an attachment as it's a TIF file, which Rootschat obviously doesn't like.

Offline FFS14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 October 16 00:14 BST (UK) »
Cheers for getting back to me. Hmm thought you mentioned in past posts that her father was John Smeaton? If its James, do you know when James was born and do you know his parents names? I'm thinking he could be a potential relative. What dates was he living in Hawick? Mine were early 1860s.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 October 16 00:30 BST (UK) »
Jane Smeaton's alleged father was a James Smeaton, and Jane herself had an illegitimate son called John Smeaton, also known as John Scott after his alleged father. An awful lot of allegations! I haven't bothered tracing the Smeatons any further as my descent is from Jane's half-brother James Stewart, and I'm not descended from the Smeatons.

Harry

Offline FFS14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 October 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
Ah right. Would've been interesting to know.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 14 October 16 13:04 BST (UK) »
remember that Scott is one of the most common names in Hawick and surrounding area, and generally follow the traditional Scottish naming patterns, hence several with the same name around the same age over several generations.  Remember to check the middle name too as they can give clues to the material line.

Offline tartanvamp76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 May 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
I too am tracing my family tree, Scott's these came from the Roberton area, Beatrix Scott married a Walter Thomson, they had Marion born 1859. If this is any help.
Pauline

Offline Border searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 May 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
I have Robert Scott who was a Miller, probably in Wilton where his daughter was born. He had 2 boys and 2 girls with Janet Buckhorn between 1786 and 1792.

His daughter Mary Scott married a James Murray in 1803.

My interest is the address of the Mill (corn mill/flour mill?).

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 27 May 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was a Matthew Little Robson Scott of Hawick. He emigrated to Wyoming and shows up on a voting register in 1911. He was married to Anne Adam and was one of four brothers I think. His father was a Robert Scott who had a sheep farm in Hawick. I'm looking for connections as well in order to connect to family.

Where did the Little and Robson names come from?   I have these surnames in my family tree from the borders.