Author Topic: Grant-Dalton family  (Read 7868 times)

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grant-Dalton family
« on: Thursday 20 August 09 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

We were wondering if anyone could help. We have just found out that our great grandmother, following the death of our great grandfather, married Major Eustace Foster Grant-Dalton in 1936 in Marlybone, London. We looked him up and found out that he is from a family who have Brodsworth Hall in Doncaster. We know that he went onto marry a Sylvia Grant-Dalton in 1959. We simply want to find when the marriage with our great grandmother ended and whether there are any clues to where she went.

Our great grandmother in 1936 was called Jessie Mackay Grant-Dalton (previous married name was Young and maiden name Georgeson). Born in 1892 in Dunbarton, Scotland.

We would be grateful for any help with this information.

Regards

Youngatheart

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Grant-Dalton family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 09 22:16 BST (UK) »
We know that he went onto marry a Sylvia Grant-Dalton in 1959. 

So he married someone with the same surname as him  ???

Have you found that marriage to ascertain whether he was divorced or widowed  ???
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 August 09 07:50 BST (UK) »
Eustace was the first cousin of his second wife's late husband. Hence the same surname. I have found the index of the marriage but as yet have not accessed the actual certificate. I didn't realise that it would say iif he was divorced or widowed. Thanks for your help.

Offline pinuche0706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
To complete a story in a book I am looking about Ellen Emily Grant-Dalton maiden name Gant for better photo than that in my ownership  (I have only bad picture from newspaper). Ellen born 18th October 1885 - Wandsworth, London, 23rd May, died 1968 - district New Forest, Hampshire
She lived at Lyndhurst, Hampshire and in London Cadogan Gardens. She married John Foster Grant-Dalton 30th Sep 1915  in Chelsea, London
Her parents lived London.
Found on the Web this part of family story
"The twelfth child of Robert and Alice was John Foster Grant-Dalton who was christened at Cucklington on 8th June 1873, having been born on 10th May 1873. He was educated at H.M.S. Brittania and joined the Navy. In the First War he became a Rear-Admiral. He was married on 30th September 1915 to Ellen Emily Gant, daughter of D.M. Gant of Cadogan Sq., London, S.W.3. She was christened about 1890 and died about 1968. After the war, they settled in Belgium and had two sons, Simon (b. ca. 1916) and John (b. ca. 1918). John Foster died on 11th August 1938" - I can add John probably died in district Marylebone, London -
I reconstituted a large John's Royal Navy service.
Can you help me to find any relative or any person holding pictures of Ellen and John?
Thank you for anything you will be able to do for me.
Below photos taken in France
1952 (Ellen beside the memorial whom she financed to the memory of three British and Australian airmen of the RAF & RAAF shot down on 8 June 1944 in France near my village)
and 2009

Offline youngatheart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry but can't help. It would appear our connections with the Eustace Foster Grant Dalton will remain a mystery that went to the grave with our great grandmother. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck with your research.

Regards

Youngat heart

Offline ShanksGrantDalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Not that it will help however Robert and Alice Grant-Daltons second eldest son who inherited Shanks House, was my grandmothers grandfather, Alan Grant-Dalton.  I have a lot of information on that side of the family.

Offline pinuche0706

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 September 16 16:36 BST (UK) »
@ ShanksGrantDalton,
Told by distant relatives, it seems that Ellen Emily Grant-Dalton (nee Gant) had no children contrary to that is reported in Family tree website.
Any information about that in your documents?
Thk

Offline ShanksGrantDalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 September 16 11:30 BST (UK) »
I've just read my original post here and see I've written Robert and Alice. I should have written Dalton Foster Grant-Dalton and Alice(nee Trevanion). So it seems there is another earlier Alice Grant-Dalton. They were married in 1848, and Dalton died in 1890. So I am way off the mark.

Offline Vesta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 September 16 16:34 BST (UK) »
Eustace Foster Grant-Dalton was the son of Gerald Grant-Dalton.
Eustace was born 23 May 1877 Belfast
He died 27 Aug 1970 Quinish Isle of Mull
Eustace married x 1 Kathleen Farrell on 5 Oct 1907 Murree India  She died 1929 Cape Town
Eustace married x 2 Mrs Jessie Mackay Young nee Georgeson 1936 2nd Q Marylebone Vol.1a P.1635
Eustace married x3 Sylvia Joan Cecil Grant-Dalton Nee West 25 Jun 1959 ref. 1959 2nd Q Devon Vol.7a P.587.
Sylvia West was the wife of Horace Grant-Dalton who was 1st cousin to Eustace.

John Foster Grant-Dalton Rear Adm: b.1873 Wincanton was the youngest son & 12 child of 14 of Dalton Foster Grant-Dalton & Alice Charlotte Trevanion, He married Ellen Emily Gant 1915 & had 2 sons born abroad Simon Grant-Dalton b.1916 & John b.1918.
If you Goggle Rear Admiral John Foster Grant-Dalton there is a small photo of him but I have not been able to capture it.
Vesta